Please correct the short news.

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:53 pm
115-year-old Macrobian's Secret Recipe
stuns health care experts

The secret recipe for her longevity is: eating highly fatty bouilli at every dinner!
Bouilli, French, means teriyaki meat, in which meat is cooked with soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and so on. Bouilli looks black red when on the table.
No doubt the "great" recipe has made experts tongtue-tied and made their glasses fall to the ground.
Lee, white hair, bended back, small feet with cloth shoes,walking on a wood crutch, is a resident of SZ city.
When reporter chatted with her, found she could speak clear and hear clear.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,355 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:01 am
The secret recipe for her longevity is eating highly fatty bouilli at every dinner! Bouilli, a French word, means teriyaki meat. Meat which has been cooked with soy sauce, vinegar and sugar and looks black red when on the plate. When presented with this secret recipe the experts were stunned and monentarily speechless.
Lee with her white hair pulled back, her small feet in slippers and who walks with a wood crutch, is a resident of SZ city.
When the reporter chatted with her, (he,she) found Lee could speak and hear clearly.

=====
OristarA: I hope this helps. I don't if the reporter is male or female. Pick he or she in the last sentence. I'm sorry I took so long to respond, I didn't see this until this morning. You can always PM me.

Joe
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:23 am
Hi Joe Nation,

(1) If using "... is eating...", it has become a present progressive, the original meaning has been changed.

(2) Meat which has been cooked with soy sauce, vinegar and sugar and looks black red when on the plate.
This is not a sentence, cos the clause "which..." modifying the antecedent "meat", thus there are no verb and object for "meat".

If you prefer to change the original sentence like this, I suggest deleting "and" which is between "sugar" and "looks". Then the main clause is "Meat looks black red ...".

(3) Regarding "white hair, bended back ..."

These mean "she has white hair, her back is bended..." in original text, obviously your correction is different.

(4) Clear can be an adv., meaning clearly. Check AHD please.

Anyway, thanks.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:34 pm
It's a person who eats a macrobiotic diet.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 01:17 am
Hi Wy,
Macrobian: A person who enjoys long life, esp. a person whose age is more than 100-year-old. (My dictionary defines so).
I highly appreciated the sentence " Bouilli looks blackish-red when served". Well written, indeed!
It seems that I have ever read a phrase that depicts how a person's glasses drop to the ground when being stuned, but I forgot the phrase. If I cannot find it out again, I have to accept "momentarily speechless" for the time being.

Regarding "cloth shoes", compare it to "leather shoes", the shoe is made out of cloth.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 05:02 pm
Hi OristarA,

Thank you for the compliment!

My dictionary didn't have macrobian at all, but I suspected Joe Nation's definition -- a person who eats a macrobiotic diet. Perhaps it means a very old person as well, but such a diet consists almost entirely of whole grains; meat is entirely forbidden. So I don't think Lee could be a macrobian and eat bouilli... no matter her age. I think you need another word in your title. If she's 100 or more, the word Centenarian can be accurately used.

I've heard "his/her eyes bulged out of their sockets" as an expression of astonishment, but not their glasses falling off. It is a good illustration of surprise, tho...

And I understand what cloth shoes are -- I wear them myself -- I just didn't see a way to fit the comment smoothly into the paragraph.

Happy writing!
0 Replies