2 year old dogg pees and poops in house all the sudden.

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:15 am
We have a 2 year old spayed Australian shepherd /blue healer mix. we have had her since a pup and house trained her ourselves. she has never peed or pooped in the house until recently. we moved to our new house in July and she loved it. When we would go to my dads which is where we lived before, she wouldn't even go back inside, that's how much she liked her new home, we couldn't get her out of the truck!! But one problem is she is peeing in the house now. We have 2 beds and a bath upstairs that we hardly use, she would sleep up there but then she started pooping on the floor she did it multiple times, so we had to put up a gate at the bottom of the stairs so she can no longer go up there on her own.
We just finished the guest bedroom downstairs and can't leave the door open because she keeps peeing on the hardwood floor next to the bed where it can not be easily seen. She also just peed on the comforter that is on that bed too.
I don't know if she's mad, she doesn't act like it. she gets let outside all the time. she has a cat in the house with her and they are best buddies and play together all the time. she can't be bored. the only thing that really changed when we moved is our yard is not totally fenced in so she doesn't get let out for an hour at a time. Is this what is really bugging her?? we generally let her out and watch her until she comes back to the door.
We have a 5x5 room in our basement that we are thinking of turning into a kennel for when we are gone since this seems to be when she gets into all her trouble........please give us some help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 7,640 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:24 am
@scottr4601,
Hi scottt. When was your dog last seen by a vet? What is your dog's exercise schedule like, i.e. how many walks a day/how long?
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:19 am
Scott..Is this a Border Collie? I'm not sure about your breed terminology. If it is a Border collie, then they are a working dog and as such they need a task.

If so, the answer is Yes - it can be that she needs to go out as often as possible. They need to played ball with or given some sort of task. She isn't mad, but she is just doing what she can to let you know she needs some sort of attention. You might need to watch her more closely for sings about her needing to hit the potty. Also, if these toileting mistakes are happening at night, you might want to time her food accordingly....no food after 7pm.

Of course, bring her to a good vet and get her tested to see if there's some medical explanation.

That is my experience based on being involved with catetaking 5 Border Collies (all at once).
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 10:27 am
@Ragman,
I missed the part about you turn her into a kennel. Perhaps there's something about that kennel that is intimidating to her..or not sitting well with her. It could be just the fact that you're bring her there and she is losing her dominant spot. Or there could be some tension with other dogs.

You have to understand that Border collies need tons of exercise...and consistancy in the home.
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:19 am
@Ragman,
oops..ignore the part where I talked about the kennel. I had read that quickly and thought the kennle was elsewhere. But my advice still is good about not isolating her in the home kennel. She needs a task and some more playtime.
0 Replies

scottr4601

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:51 pm
@Ragman,
she is an australian sheperd mixed with a blue heeler. both are cattle dogs so i take it she isn't getting enough activity for her mind. It has been at least 8 months since the vet and my wife is going to call them monday morning because i read it could be a bladder infection or kidney problems that cause the peeing.
as far as watching for signs she has to pee you can't miss them. she gets all excited, barks at you then runs for the door and turns around to wait for you. if you don't get up on her first try she just keeps doing it.... also no tension from other dogs, she is the only one.

what kind of task would you suggest to entertain her?? we give her toys, fill kongs with peanut butter give her bones.. please give me a few ideas.
scottr4601

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:53 pm
@ehBeth,
she doesn't go for walks too often right now since it is still winter here. but it is starting to warm up so we will start taking her on walks every day.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:28 pm
@scottr4601,
Our dogs go for walks year-round. No weather excuses here unless there's an actual cold-weather alert or smog alert.

If it's not -30 C, she should probably still be taken for a proper walk each day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:31 pm
@scottr4601,
scottr4601 wrote:
what kind of task would you suggest to entertain her?? we give her toys, fill kongs with peanut butter give her bones.. please give me a few ideas.

She doesn't need entertainment as much as discipline and exercise by the sounds of it. If you don't want to walk her each day, set her up on the treadmill to walk each day - and stay with her while she's doing it. She's a mix of a couple of smart breeds so you could put the time you're not walking into training her to do a task for you.

You need to spend at least an hour a day doing something with her. Putting her in the backyard for an hour is not an acceptable alternative. You need to be actively involved in what's going on.

(you as in the people she lives with, not just one person)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 03:32 pm
@scottr4601,
Daily walks are an essential (unless it's arctic temps). Frisbee-chasing, ball throwing, or some type of agility training like jumping hurdles. The dog could be bored and requires more activity as well as mental stimualtion.
0 Replies