How does this sentence sound to you?

fansy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 08:14 pm
Quote:
Science and Civilisation in China Series by Joseph Needham is the largest ever one-man’s intellectual project of the 20th century; what started as a curiosity on the part of the author grew into a mammoth project paralleled perhaps only by the work of Fernand Braudel (1902"1985), the French historian.

How does this sentence sound to you grammatically?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 590 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 08:39 pm
@fansy,
fansy wrote:

Quote:
Science and Civilisation in China Series by Joseph Needham is the largest ever one-man’s intellectual project of the 20th century; what started as a curiosity on the part of the author grew into a mammoth project paralleled perhaps only by the work of Fernand Braudel (1902"1985), the French historian.

How does this sentence sound to you grammatically?

Well, looking at it in a strictly grammatical sense it passes muster, but I have problems with it in other ways. Science and Civilisation in China Series probably is not the correct title. The series, Science and Civilization in China, may be what you mean.

What's with the semi-colon? It's unmanly. Worse, it's confusing. You tell me Needham's work is mammoth in size--the largest ever--, but then you tell me of a parallel to Needham's in the same sentence.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:46 pm
Quote:
Science and Civilisation in China Series by Joseph Needham

This is a British English Title, by a British scientist.
I see what Tycoon means: there is a controdictory statement in this sentence, which I think can be removed by not using the superlative degree. Am right?
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:03 am
@fansy,
as a sentence i find it as woolly as it is mammoth

'the largest ever one man's intellectual project in the 20th century' is risible in the extreme

0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:20 am
@fansy,
Joseph Needham's 'Science and Civilisation in China' grew from a curiousity to become a massive project. There are parallels with the work of the French historian Fernand Braudel (1902- 1985).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 02:27 pm
@fansy,

It's fine. But probably not written by a Briton.
0 Replies