funny presidential statements

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:10 pm
"I will also ask for an appropriation of an extra $100 million to launch an intensive campaign to find a cure for cancer, and I will ask later for whatever additional funds can effectively be used. The time has come in America when the same kind of concentrated effort that split the atom and took man to the moon should be turned toward conquering this dread disease. Let us make a total national commitment to achieve this goal."

In 1970, cancer was the second leading cause of death in the U.S., and President Nixon chose to make the subject a part of his State of the Union address in January 1971. Nixon’s $100 million request for cancer research was followed by the conversion of a Maryland fort for biological warfare into the Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center. Nixon made a much larger move in late 1971 when he signed the National Cancer Act into law. Nixon said he hoped people would look back at it as the “most significant act during my Administration.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,396 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:13 pm
Jimmy Carter
"I am tonight setting a clear goal for the energy policy of the United States. Beginning this moment, this nation will never use more foreign oil than we did in 1977-- never. From now on, every new addition to our demand for energy will be met from our own production and our own conservation.”
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:17 pm
When George H.W. Bush was Vice President to Ronald Reagan, new proposals were added to the War on Drugs and Bush was put in charge of heading a task force focused on international drug smuggling and the U.S. government's efforts to prevent drugs from entering the U.S. from foreign countries. He took this experience with him into the Oval Office where his focus on the subject remained.
And there is much to be done and to be said, but take my word for it: This scourge will stop.”
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:19 pm
George H W Bush “With the experience and knowledge gained on the moon, we will then be ready to take the next steps of space exploration -- human missions to Mars and to worlds beyond.”
0 Replies