I'm hoping to learn a short phrase, or motto in Latin for our new business's name?

halivie

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 06:56 am
I'm wondering how to say: ' Word Of God', 'Gods Word', ' The Word of The Lord', 'Holy Scripture', 'The Light of the World', and 'Bread Of Life'. Will you please help us?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,874 • Replies: 9

George

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:21 am
@halivie,
' Word Of God', 'Gods Word'
Both are translated
Verbum Dei

'Holy Scripture'
Sacra Scriptura

'The Light of the World'
Lux Mundi

'Bread Of Life'
Panis Vitae
halivie

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 08:16 am
@George,
Thank you George, Sacra Scriptura, I like that...how about adding 'Behold Our' to the Sacra Sciptura' in other words how do we say 'Behold Our Sacred Scripture'
High Seas

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 08:46 am
@George,
George wrote:

''Holy Scripture'
Sacra Scriptura

George - caution with "sacra", it usually means "sacred" but Virgil's famous passage on gold definitely uses the word in the sense of "accursed":
http://books.google.com/books?id=24FiAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA71&dq=gold+auri+sacra+fames+virgil

Of course this might be useful in some kinds of businesses - what kind is involved here?
George

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 08:52 am
@High Seas,
High Seas! How are you?

Thanks for the heads-up.
I use "Sacra Scriptura" as this phrasing was common among the Fathers of the Church.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 08:53 am
@halivie,
Quote:
Thank you George, Sacra Scriptura, I like that...how about adding 'Behold Our' to the Sacra Sciptura' in other words how do we say 'Behold Our Sacred Scripture'

Ecce Sacra Scriptura Nostra
0 Replies

halivie

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 09:13 am
@High Seas,
Im in the process of resurrecting a beloved but failed business of thirty years ago (see frontiernet.net/~antiquity) but I now find the business name 'Antiquity' inappropriate for what I intend to do and am looking for a better name. Sacra Sciptura sounds good but too presumptuous. How about "behold, our sacred scipture"
High Seas

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 08:57 am
@halivie,
Halivie - I looked up your link, which btw is
http://www.frontiernet.net/~antiquity/
and noticed it's in Greek, which I read, and that additionally you're offering similar texts in Hebrew, which another person here can read. George is a very sound Latinist, so I'd never argue with him on translations of your texts, but knowing the purpose and spirit of the logo you're looking to create helps.

To sum up: subject to George's expert opinion, I would drop the "sacra" altogether and stick with the 3 words, "ecce scriptura nostra".

"Look at our inscription" (aka "behold our scripture")
sounds good to me as a logo - brevity is an asset, plus this one covers Latin, Greek, plus whatever else you can do inscriptions in, which may not necessarily be religious.

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:07 pm
@High Seas,
ennoble ennui
George

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 07:14 am
@oolongteasup,
Quote:
ennoble ennui

???
0 Replies