This is Your Kid's Brain on Movement Conservatism

Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:50 pm
@dlowan,
I could. I was hiding in a place where you never would have found me.

Californication is indeed super-cheesy. Badinage-wise, I'm a great fan of the "this is so great, I have to go get my camera" scene. If you know which one I mean.
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 02:58 pm
@Thomas,
I, sadly, do not recall the scene you animadvert to.
Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 10:37 pm
@dlowan,
Too bad. You'll have to watch the DVD then.
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 10:40 pm
@Thomas,
A small fragment of reminder may preclude any need to transfer money in pursuit of the experience via DVD.
Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:00 pm
@dlowan,
The ill-fated S&M threesome between Charlie, his wife Marcie, and his secretary Dani. Marcie finds the whole situation hilarious, and can barely keep herself from cracking up. She starts running off to get her camera. In the heat of the moment, she forgets the chain on her wrist, the other end of which is attached to a clamp on Charlie's nipple. Tragiliciously, she almost rips off the nipple, and the threesome ends in some hospital's emergency room, where they have to explain what happened.

(Note to lurkers: Yes, it really is that corny. But it's a lot funnier when seen, not read.)
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:18 pm
@Thomas,
Lol!! I missed that...but I can imagine it.

I suspect these things are always more exciting in the mind than the flesh(stuff like threesomes, I mean.)
Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:27 pm
@dlowan,
I wouldn't know -- but I'm sure Jonathan Kron will give a talk about it soon.
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 03:48 am
@Thomas,
Possibly...he IS both precocious and rather hyperactive.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
The article links to a YouTube video of Kron addressing a conservative action committee. I'm curious about your reaction to his three-minute talk.

When I read that he was some kind of charismatic prodigy I expected a lot better than that. I felt embarrassed for him, it was hard to watch. He comes across as a satire to me as well, just a little more toned-down than little Bill O'Reilly

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 01:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Love Kid O'reilly

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 10:25 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Glad to hear kid O'Reilly is satire. Given the current state of American conseratism, it's so hard to tell ....
0 Replies

candide

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 09:33 am
This kid is a damn freak!!! IT'S DAMIAN!!!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 09:41 am
Four years later, the love affair between Jonathan Krohn and movement conservatism seems over. Indeed, it seems to be headed for an ugly divorce.

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/08/i_was_a_right_wing_child_star/

(Thanks to Snood for the link.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 10:48 am
I remember this thread. Did not realize today's story is about the same kid.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 01:30 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
Of course, there is the possibility that as he ages and becomes introduced to more people his views may become more refined. Maybe not a liberal, but if he is just fed lines from his parents, his views could soften once away for college where they have less influence.

Congratulations! You nailed it three years in advance.
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 03:51 pm
@Thomas,
He sounds like a cool kid.

Hope four eyes gets that six-pack!
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 04:20 pm
What a savvy 17 year old. Kudos

Quote:
I shouldn’t be too surprised. Political divisiveness in America today is a childish thing anyway. The never-ending war between the left and the right seems to me like a couple of drunken college boys fighting over which one of their fraternities is cooler.

Think about it: Once you join a side, you have to obey the house rules, go to all the parties, and defend your status as a member of the greatest club on campus.

And this is what drove me away from conservatism to my admittedly center-left position of independent mindedness (if that’s a thing).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:34 pm
@dlowan,
So do I, though he seems even more interested in big-boobed women. Further evidence that he's 17.
dlowan

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 06:54 pm
@Thomas,
I think he thinks that, if he had a six pack, he might have more large breasted women. I mean, he does his best not to think that but I think he thinks it underneath.
Personally, as a large breasted woman, I always went more for the ones with brains and wit and stuff, but I don't think you generally think that as a seventeen year old male.

What do you think?
Thomas

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 08:27 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
What do you think?

I'm not really in a position to think any competent thoughts about the matter. A definite non-possessor of a sixpack, I have fallen for a total of four women since puberty, three petite, one big-breasted. Only one of them fell for me too. (She was petite.) So I'm working from the smallest of sample sizes here.

I guess it's possible that this one woman fell for my brains and wit and stuff. On the other hand, our relationship drifted into just-friends territory after maybe half a year, when I had had a really hard time with my theoretical mechanics course, didn't get out much, lived on canned ravioli exclusively, and went from moderately chubby to morbidly obese as a consequence of all that. I suppose you big-breasted women are different. You wouldn't have drifted away into the friend zone like that for such superficial reasons. But there's life for you.

How did we get from conservative politics to my love life again? Perhaps it's because they're both similarly vacuous, and hence good metaphors for each other.