This is Your Kid's Brain on Movement Conservatism

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:30 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
That was my thought too (that it must be the parents) but they actually came out pretty well in the article.

Good point. These parts of the article didn't really register when I first read it, maybe because they didn't fit my preconceptions.

As to future-Sozlet doing the same thing for the liberal side: I've never seen her in action, but I can't picture her as a droid, a talking point dispenser for MoveOn. I'm confident she'd bring charm, humor, an originality to her speech. These qualities redeem a lot of smartass-ness, and Jonathan Kron lacks them.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:32 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i recommend everyone see jesus camp, you'll laugh. you'll cry, you'll pray for the rapture to come and take these loonies away

(nods) It's a pretty good movie.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i recommend everyone see jesus camp, you'll laugh. you'll cry, you'll pray for the rapture to come and take these loonies away

That movie hits close to home... Literally. I'm from Missouri. The first half of the film is mostly St. Robert, MO. I went to College in Rolla, MO. Some of the b-roll for the film is from Rolla. It was quite disturbing. I've had some interesting encounters with the Pentecostals.

T
K
O
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:16 am
@Diest TKO,
have you seen lake of fire, it's an abortion issue documentary, equally disturbing
DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:43 am
@Thomas,
The scary part is that I think that kid has a better grasp on conservative values than grown-up conservatives.

IMO, many "conservatives" are simply "anti-Democrats".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:59 am
Hmmmm.... let's see.... I respect the Constitution and life and believe in smaller government and personal responsiblity....

OMG!!! I'M A CONSERVATIVE!!!

I don't want to pick on a little kid but there is something inherently repulsive about a child behaving like an adult. It makes my skin crawl.
Foofie

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:36 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Just because he is not alienated from conservative values, like many young people, does not mean he is a victim of propaganda.

It isn't the lack of anti-conservative alienation that leads me to conclude that. It's the complete lack of evidence that he has thought through any of what he's talking about. It's the total absence of any personal touch, anything you can't read up in pamphlets from the Heritage Foundation. He has none of that. Bromide after bromide, he's all prefab talking points, delivered with the routine of a well-rehearsed TV talking head.

And, you are giving a free pass, so to speak, to all the Catholics that celebrate Mass every Sunday, as a way to help ensure their Salvation? Did they all think through all of what the Mass is talking about? I am mixing religion with politics, since that is part of the focus of this young conservative.

Foofie

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:42 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I dislike these most precocious kids with a passion.

Do ya' now? Better precocious than mediocre, atop the bellcurve, happy with a 100 average IQ and B- average grades, in my opinion. God forbid anyone should get ahead to the pack, so to speak!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:48 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

I dislike these most precocious kids with a passion.

Do ya' now? Better precocious than mediocre, atop the bellcurve, happy with a 100 average IQ and B- average grades, in my opinion. God forbid anyone should get ahead to the pack, so to speak!

Is that what you call this kid?

When he says things like 'Obama is the most liberal prez of my lifetime,' it's pretty revealing that this guy is not in fact ahead of the pack; but instead squarely in the middle of the pack of fools he was surrounded by.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:57 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

There was once a TV show with Michael J. Fox who played "Alex Keaton"
an arch conservative kid whose parents were actually quite liberal and old hippies. In this show, Alex talked exactly like this kid does now! In the
NY Times article they mention that he's home schooled and an "experienced child actor" - yes I can believe that, he's definitely acting and with all probability
has a stage mother.

I believe, you have not included in your analysis that those in power today will put someone, to eventually replace themselves, who has a mirror image of their own perspective. That is why the power brokers of the world will put conservative young people in positions that eventually replace themselves. That is how the system and society works. I do not begrudge this young man from having the correct formula for material success in later life? I am not saying you begrudge this young man any future material success; however, I do not understand what motivates your emotional feelings?
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:53 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
That is why the power brokers of the world will put conservative young people in positions that eventually replace themselves. That is how the system and society works.

oh yes, and the system has worked so well
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:56 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
Hmmmm.... let's see.... I respect the Constitution and life and believe in smaller government and personal responsiblity....

OMG!!! I'M A CONSERVATIVE!!!

Oh really? I'm surprised. You always struck me as an anarchist, pro-death, communist hippie.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
And, you are giving a free pass, so to speak, to all the Catholics that celebrate Mass every Sunday, as a way to help ensure their Salvation? Did they all think through all of what the Mass is talking about? I am mixing religion with politics, since that is part of the focus of this young conservative.

No, I'm not giving them a free pass. I find those grown-up Mass you describe just as infantile and deluded as Jonathan Kron. My opposition to the Catholic Church, and to the religious way of thinking in general, is well-documented on A2K. I think it was Sozobe who recently summed up my anti-religious sentiments with the words "convert's zeal". (Which was pretty wicked -- in a way I appreciate.)

But it takes a more angry man than me to rail against everything at once. I prefer to take it one outrage at a time, if that's okay with you.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 06:38 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

have you seen lake of fire, it's an abortion issue documentary, equally disturbing

I went and watched the trailer for it on Youtube. My search to find this film has officially begun.

T
K
O
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:07 pm
@Thomas,
How do you pick where to start?

Alphabetical?

Wink
Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:56 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
How do you pick where to start?

Alphabetical?

Of course in alphabetical order! It's my trademark. In fact, you probably have read that about me in Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker books. Douglas was careless enough to use my real name: Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged.
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:00 am
@Thomas,
I hadn't heard of you by that name...but it sounds..well...almost exciting....
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:02 am
@dlowan,
Except possibly the grey skin..
Thomas

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 01:10 am
@dlowan,
I'm sure you've seen stranger things on Californication. (I've checked it out in the meantime, and like it -- unlike Jonathan Kron, I assume.)
dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 04:51 am
@Thomas,
Ah...so you just couldn't hide, eh?

It's kind of cheesy...but has some great badinage in the script.