How can one cure procrastination?

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:09 pm
Is there any technique that can help a procrastinator learn to get things done? Is there a reason people put things off? Is there a way to counteract this? Do rewards or consequences help? What, if anything, works? Are there situations in which procrastination can be a good thing? Is fear of failure, or maybe of success, a possible cause?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,439 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed

Ticomaya

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:19 pm
@Anniepoo,
I'll try and help you tomorrow.
Reyn

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 01:23 pm
@Anniepoo,
Here's a link which may help.
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:08 pm
@Anniepoo,
Anniepoo wrote:

Is there any technique that can help a procrastinator learn to get things done? Is there a reason people put things off? Is there a way to counteract this? Do rewards or consequences help? What, if anything, works? Are there situations in which procrastination can be a good thing? Is fear of failure, or maybe of success, a possible cause?

All of us have tasks that we just can't seem to get started on. I suppose the reasons are as many as there are people.
For me, it seems to fall into 2 groups. First, something I'm going to have to do again anyway, like load the dishwasher. Related to that is the fact that I don't jump and and down delighted that I have clean dishes. It's ok, but I don't admire my plates and glassware or anything.

2nd, it's having to deal with another person I just don't want to have to have contact with.

In this second case though, I try to get that over with as soon as I can, so it's out of the way. I'd rather have that in my past than something I have to waste my mental energy looking foward to.

Sometimes procrastination works well, but in that case it's called prioritization and timing.
Lightwizard

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
Laughing I knew that wouldn't be long in getting posted.

First start with something you don't like doing. Procrastination is not a slave to time, so take the rest of the day doing things you like to do.
0 Replies

hamburger

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:25 pm
@Anniepoo,
never postpone anything until tomorrow that you can do the day after tomorrow .

i read somewhere that one should never pospone anything for a day - if it needs done : do it ; if it can be postponed , postpone for a month : the work/problem will likely have been taken care of by then ... by someone else .
hbg
0 Replies

NickFun

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 02:48 pm
Never put of for tomorrow something you can put off forever. If you just decide not to do it then you're no longer procrastinating!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 03:03 pm
@Anniepoo,
One thing I like to do, when possible, is put myself in a place where I can't access the internet.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:09 pm
I am a chronic procrastinator. Rather than beating myself over it (well, maybe i still do somewhat, but way less than when I tried hard to "fix" myself some 2-3 years back), I learned to live with it more or less productively - I work best under some pressure and with a deadline looming over, so I fit my working style with my work schedule as best I can. Not all people function the same way. Some work well 9 to 5, and some just don't. Sometimes you have to make use of what you've got instead of feeling guilty, inefficient or being frustrated..... but this applies to me, I don't know any particulars about you or what you call procrastinating, so can't offer more than a reflection on what it's like for me.
0 Replies

Reyn

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:15 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
All of us have tasks that we just can't seem to get started on.

For me, it's painting the inside of our townhouse (3 levels).

I started in 1993.....and I'm still not 100% finished! Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:32 pm
I haven't done this for a while, but it worked when I had to do some boring paperwork, that nonetheless, needed to get done.

I'd sit there and look at it, then say out loud, "OK. Dive in!" I'd actually make a little hands together diving motion with my hands.

When you've started a dive, you certainly can't stop. For some reason, this works for me. Whether the water's cold or not, you're have to work with it.
Reyn

Fri 6 Mar, 2009 04:37 pm
@chai2,
Sounds like me just finishing my tax return the other day. Laughing
0 Replies