Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:09 pm
(1) Police immediately arrested Mr. Jack and Mr.John when he called them.

"When he called them" , in fact, means "when he called police". So the sentence above may cause misunderstanding. It should be expressed like this:
Police, when he called them, immediately arrested Mr.Jack and Mr. John.
Thus it can avoid any ambiguity in the sentence. Do you agree with me?

(2) ... for revenging with radiation source and injured 75 colleagues

Should the past participle "injured" be present participle "injuring"? Personally, I think using the past participle "injured" is proper.

Thank you for coming reply.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,581 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
Hi oristar,
I think any ambiguity in the first sentence might be about who did the calling, not who was called.

"Police immediately arrested Mr. John and Mr. Jack when they were called." or "... when Miss Josie called them." Police are the only people likely to do any arresting, so I don't think there's a problem there.

In your second example, it's best to be consistent in tense. Thus, "... for revenging (himself) with radiation (eliminate source) and injuring 75 colleagues" or "...he revenged himself with radiation, and injured 75 colleagues." (Italics mine; suggestions only.)

That works for other similar constructions too... he opened the jar, spooned out the contents and ate the jam...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:54 pm
Thanks Wy.

Your corrections are very clear. But I am afraid "radiation source" is a compound noun used in nuclear technology, check it out please.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 02:17 am
Hi Oristar, I agree with Wy about the first sentence. What makes it unclear is that you don't know who made the call.

I have a couple of comments about the second one. Although "revenge" is in the dictionary as a verb, it is more appropriately used as a noun. The word I would use here is avenge. Both revenge and avenge take a reflexive pronoun. (I avenged myself for my brother's murder. I got revenge for my brother's murder.)

As for "radiation source," I agree with Wy. "Source" is not really necessary. But if you're going to use it (and I suspect that you will), then you must include an article. "...with a radiation source."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 03:22 am
Good, Robeta!
I would like to adopt your ideas.
TY.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:51 pm
Roberta, you're quite right about avenging... it's much better in this instance. I was thinking so much about radiation sources, I guess I forgot about that one!
TY from me too!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:21 am
Wy, I think "revenge" as a verb is another instance of something becoming accepted because of usage. It makes me cringe. And there are myriad others. LOL.

BTW, I have the same problem--focus on one spot and miss something somewhere else.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:47 pm
One thing I like about this forum is that, with a few exceptions and a lot of jokes, nearly everyone uses correct spelling and grammar... I think it makes us all sound more intelligent, don't you? Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:57 pm
Wy, The literacy level in this forum is a breath of fresh air. People here actually use quotation marks! Of course we all sound intelligent. We are all (more or less) intelligent.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:24 pm
To Us! (Raises glass (currently containing White Zinfandel).) Weird punctuation.

But the fact is, intelligent people all over are neglecting the conventions (thanx again for fine-tuning!) and thereby causing themselves to sound like idiots! If the writing is too bad, I get hung up on proofreading and can't get my head around what the person's trying to say...

My sister's just the opposite. She teaches English/literature at the college (graduate) level, and can't be bothered correcting spelling or grammar. She reads only for ideas and sense, and her attitude is that if her students didn't learn to write in elementary school, it's not her job to teach them. I agree, it shouldn't be her job, but wouldn't you think college graduates should be required to communicate in English???
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:37 am
Wy, I was one of the ignorant ones in college. I never learned grammar, punctuation, etc. I learned it on the job. My first employer hired me, assuming that I knew English. I'm glad there wasn't a test. I sometimes think that my teachers in elementary, junior high, and high school didn't teach it because they didn't know it.

BTW, I don't drink. How about a glass of wine for you and an egg cream for me. Clink.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 04:21 pm
You? Ignorant about language? Can't be!

On the other hand, I think I was in the last class to learn to diagram sentences... then kame fonix.

Oh, fine toasting! Matter of fact, since it's tomorrow afternoon already, I'll join you in the egg cream! Will we both fit?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 05:11 pm
Wy, I've got a very big glass. Sure we'll fit. :-)
0 Replies