Patriot Act

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:38 pm
There's a big difference between UFO's and Arab-Americans. They've lost many of their Constitutional Protections. Another aspect of the Justice Department is their enforcing the maximum penalties for all crimes, and taking away the decision making by local judges. All crimes are not created equal, but the Justice Deparment wants to enforce federal laws as if they are. They are going to go after judges that do not follow their mandate. Watch out! You may be charged of a crime you didn't commit, but will be sentenced whether you're innocent or not - and that includes the death penalty.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:44 pm
Quote:
...and that includes the death penalty.

Again, the curiosity....how is it that those like Bushy-Poo II and Arsecroft, who claim to be "Christians," are so in love with the idea of kiling others?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
Shoesharper wrote:

Perception -- You ask how many instances have there been of abuse. I would ask you how many instances have there been of terrorism prevented?

The first is a tangible and you should be able to give all of them to support your argument.

Your second question deals with elements that are intangible and will never be known except as of this moment no second attack has occurred therefore Ashcroft's efforts and the intent of Congress when enacting the Patriot Act, must be considered a success.

The Patriot Act could be considered a "War Power" I suppose except that Congress has not given it that status----and they must make that determination.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:00 pm
Quote:
no second attack has occurred therefore Ashcroft's efforts and the intent of Congress when enacting the Patriot Act, must be considered a success.

That is falsely attributing success to a program without any possible way to prove its veracity. Without evidence that other events have been attempted and thwarted, one cannot judge the effectiveness of PATRIOT at preventing attacks. One could similarly say that thanks to NORAD there have been no alien invasions! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:01 pm
Curiosity re killin' others ... odd, isn't it, that its common among those in favor of the death penalty to oppose abortion, and for abortion advocates preponderantly to oppose the death penalty? Some kind of disconnect goin' on there, I think.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:03 pm
Again, the curiosity....how is it that those like Bushy-Poo II and Arsecroft, who claim to be "Christians," are so in love with the idea of kiling others?

The name calling and the hysterical comments have begun again-----time for me to take another break
0 Replies

timberlandko

Dunno 'bout space aliens, but NORAD gave the Soviets some indigestion.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

It is, but then again many do not consider abortion a killing (similar to how they do not bemoan loss of life from masturbation). Viability sounds like a silly criteria for this while the instinct is to consider the fetus alive but some consider it important.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:07 pm
Quote:
(similar to how they do not bemoan loss of life from masturbation).

Sehr amusant! Expecially since I was just reading a list of guidelines for young novices at Fulda,and it condemns "self-abuse" for just this reason! Smile
Although I don't see the far right as a horribly orgasmic bunch. I'm not overly sire how Arsecroft managed to reproduce. It must have been a true trial that he undertook solely for his faith.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:10 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Dunno 'bout space aliens, but NORAD gave the Soviets some indigestion.

Indeed. Crediting US strategic doctrine of the 1950-80s with preventing war is a valid response. Crediting PATRIOT with preventing another attack, given the scarcity of information, is not a valid response.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:12 pm
Quote:
In the 1970s, the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE), representing more then 10 million conservative Christians and 47 denominations, and the Moral Majority, were among the Christian groups supporting the death penalty. NAE's successor, the Christian Coalition, also supports the death penalty. Today, Fundamentalist and Pentecostal churches as well as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) support the death penalty, typically on biblical grounds, specifically citing the Old Testament. (Bedau, 1997).

Although traditionally also a supporter of capital punishment, the Roman Catholic Church now oppose the death penalty. In addition, most Protestant denominations, including Baptists, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and the United Church of Christ, oppose the death penalty. During the 1960s, religious activists worked to abolish the death penalty, and continue to do so today.

In recent years, and in the wake of a recent appeal by Pope John Paul II to end the death penalty, religious organizations around the nation have issued statements opposing the death penalty. Complete texts of many of these statements can be found at www.deathpenaltyreligious.org.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=15&did=411#PublicSupport
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 08:18 pm
Thanks Blatham Excellent links. Especially chilling was the comment on how evidence that might show someone to be innocent has not been deemed important enough to grant folks a new trial. Shocked How much of death sentencing is social engineering by another name?
When did Canada (eh?) give up the death penalty?
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:30 pm
Death Penalty
timberlandko -- Ye Gods! I support abortion and the death penalty. Does that mean I am a killer coming and going? Question
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:35 pm
hobit

had to look it up...
Quote:
On July 14, 1976 the House of Commons passed Bill C-84 on a free vote, abolishing capital punishment from the Canadian Criminal Code and replacing it with a mandatory life sentence without possibility of parole for 25 years for all first-degree murders.

Canada retained the death penalty for a number of military offenses, including treason and mutiny. No Canadian soldier has been charged with or executed for a capital crime in over 50 years. On 10 December, 1998, the last vestiges of the death penalty in Canada were abolished with the passage of legislation removing all references to capital punishment from the National Defence Act.
http://www.amnesty.ca/deathpenalty/canada.htm

good links here too
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:39 pm
shoesharper, I'm in the same camp, but it's because I think that people like Tim McVeigh deserves the death penalty. He's a sad excuse for a human, and this world is a better place without him (or his kind).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:48 pm
You know guys, if it produced a reduction in the frequency of the crime, I'd be for it to. But every study I've seen claims no reduction is discernible. Thus the penalty is merely vengeance.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:51 pm
c.i. -- Couldn't agree more. People like Timothy McVeigh and Ted Bundy need to be removed from the gene pool, as it were. They showed no mercy -- so should they expect any from society? I think not. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
blatham wrote:
You know guys, if it produced a reduction in the frequency of the crime, I'd be for it to. But every study I've seen claims no reduction is discernible. Thus the penalty is merely vengeance.

It also has been shown to be more expensive than incarceration even when the implementation is fraught with error (note that the call to reduce the cost would incraese the margin of error).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
blatham, I'm not looking at it from the point of view that the death penalty would reduce the crime. Just think those guys with no respect for innocent human life doesn't deserve to live. As humans go, we're gonna continue to have murders no matter what the consequence.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:55 pm
Mr. De Kere takes Mr. Perception to task for saying that since the Patriot Act has been in force there have been no attacks and therefore indicating that the lack of attacks is due to the Patriot Act.

Mr. De Kere is correct in saying that Mr. Perception is engaging in a "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy.

However, neither can Mr. DeKere hold that the fact that we have not had another attack has NOT been because of the existence of the Patriot Act.

We simply do not know.

However, it is more than likely, IN MY OPINION, that the American Voting Public( which has only a few members of the ACLU among it) will make a connection, however possibly erroneous, and will credit President Bush AND the Congress of the United States with the passage of a good law.

I am astonished to see that discussion of the virtues or vices of the Patriot Act almost never include the critical point that the President cannot put such a law into effect alone. He must obtain the assent of Congress.

Of course, the Patriot Law passed by an incredibly large margin- 98-1. ( Sen. Finegold was the only one who voted against it).
0 Replies