so what's for breakfast today?

chai2

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2020 12:31 pm
Eggs (3), bacon, avocado, tomato, red pepper, mushroom, beet and cabbage saurkraut, asiago cheese.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2020 01:49 pm
skipped breakfast to get to the pool on time

heating up some veggie dim sum buns my friend May picked up for me at the chinese grocery this morning (swap for a batch of mini canning jars I swapped for earlier this week)

dim sum any time

yum
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 10:18 am
My usual breakfast veg, but this time instead of egg and bacon, I made some wild coho salmon.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2020 11:01 pm
Somehow, somewhere, I gave up breakfast.

Unless 2 or 3 cups of black coffee counts.

Things like oatmeal moved to being an evening thing.

0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 09:05 am
Just finished up scrambled eggs, toast and tomatoes. If that doesn't sound good at first blush, consider this:

The eggs were scrambled in melted butter until still soft, at which time they were plated immediately. Hot, Bavarian style well toasted multigrain, generously buttered. Surprisingly great well ripened tomatoes with terrific flavour (unusual at this time of year around these parts) with a smidgen of sea salt, and, as is my wont, I little Hellman's dabbed on every third or fourth bite until it was gone from the plate.

I could nap right now

chai2

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 12:38 pm
@Joeblow,
Avocado with a little goat yogurt drizzled on top (probiotics don't cha know)
with tomato, bacon, eggs, cheese.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 06:37 am
Cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt
Joeblow

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2020 06:35 am
@Phoenix32890,
Coffee with cream, then crumpet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 08:45 am
Sunday is when the spouse and I have breakfast together. Always biscuits, eggs and bacon or sausage. Sometimes fried, other times scrambled. This week I cooked bacon in the cast iron skillet, covered with water. It was the second week attempting this. Last time the bacon was pretty good. This week it was perfect. I let the bacon cook at medium heat until the water was just about gone before flipping the bacon. A little more cooking, then viola -
farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 09:08 am
@edgarblythe,
so you boil your bacon?? Ive never heard of that. Even bacon or panchetta in soups or pasta say=uces (like carbonara) are always fried crispy first.
Doesnt boiling just dilute the favor?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2020 09:21 am
@farmerman,
It changes the flavor a bit. But it comes out beautiful flat and crispy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 12:40 pm
Finally had eggs Benedict at brunch this past Sunday.

I have been craving it since mother's day when my husband typically makes it for me. Unfortunately he was unable to make it for me because there has been NO hollandaise sauce in the stores. I have been in search of it since. Still cannot find it in the store.

So when I went out for brunch - I had to get it. Ah it was wonderful.
chai2

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 01:46 pm
@Linkat,
I remember making it in the past.

It's just egg yolks, butter and a little dijon, salt and pepper.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2020 03:07 pm
@chai2,
Yeah I thought about looking up a recipe but didn't want to do it for mothers day - figured someone else should but nope if I didn't get the package stuff I knew I would not get it.

Since then whenever I am in the store I look to see if they have any - nope cannot find it.

Even better to spend too much money for it, but get a great one - cooked perfectly.
Joeblow

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 07:08 am
@edgarblythe,
I love Sunday breakfasts.

Today, yogurt and bran buds.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've never heard of that technique for bacon. Do you get a lot of sodium out of the bacon that way? I have been buying lower sodium bacon, it just seems to be more flavorful.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 10:53 pm
@Linkat,
Do you buy Knorr's Hollandaise Sauce Mix? It's actually pretty good...not like made fresh, but still pretty good. If you can't find it in the store, you can get it thru Amazon....the down side is that they sell it in packs of 10 or 12.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:53 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Do you buy Knorr's Hollandaise Sauce Mix? It's actually pretty good...not like made fresh, but still pretty good. If you can't find it in the store, you can get it thru Amazon....the down side is that they sell it in packs of 10 or 12.

Yes that is the one - and I did see it on amazon - I use it so infrequently I did not want the pack of 12. This pack would probably last me 3 years!

But funny thing is - I noticed that alot of these package types of sauces seem to be in low supply - in that area of the supermarket there is a pretty bare shelf where they house these types of sauces.

More curious why these particular products are low in supply than anything else. I don't use it enough to buy in bulk.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:04 am
@Linkat,
Knorr also makes a Green Peppercorn Sauce that is terrific with Beef. I can't find it locally anymore, but I can get it thru Amazon from Canada. I don't cook for a crowd any longer, but I used it in the past as a side sauce for a whole beef tenderloin. Everybody loved the sauce and asked for the recipe, I had to admit it came in a packet....tres embarrassing.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:22 am
Me n Rocky had some boiled eggs. Later I had a bowl of organic cereal with whole organic milk.