An epiphany, and an apology

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:31 pm
I have been doing a lot of reading of my old posts lately, and have had an epiphany.

When I first returned from Iraq, I wasnot ready to be thrown into the world yet.
Icame on A2k, and the first thing I saw was an attack on me and on the guys I served with.
I got angry.
And I stayed angry for a couple of years.
I made some rather insulting comments about many people on here that I disagreed with, I made insulting comments about liberals as a whole, and at times I was a complete idiot to people.

While I will not apologize for being a conservative, and while I will never apologize for serving in Iraq (I still think it was the right thing to do), I will apologize to those on the left that I insulted or was otherwise nasty to.

I was angry and all of you got blamed for the actions of a few.
I cant name all of you that I insulted, but I hope that all of you will forgive me for what I said back then.
If you think you were insulted by me, then you are probably correct.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 31 • Views: 6,678 • Replies: 80

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:42 pm
@mysteryman,
Apology accepted though I honeestly can't think of a single occasion in which you insulted me or anyboy else. Disagreed with me, yes, but that has always been okay from anybody. But you weren't insulting and for that, do you mind if I give you kudos instead of absolution?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:16 pm
@mysteryman,
you went through a lot, man. and you've only told me a little, i'm sure. it's understandable.

i don't remember you and i having any serious disagreement, but if you think we did, no worries.

and lastly, the politics of whether or not a war is required or justified is debatable.

that it takes balls to voluntarily put yourself in front of a bullet for your country is not.

you have my respect, j.

best wishes, dtom
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:30 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
What DTOM said.

I don't think you ever insulted me in particular, and, in the american conversation, liberal and conservative bashings in all their forms are part of the woof and warp. Most of the bashings by any of us - on these issues or others - aren't very useful except for resentment stoking, but they are natural phenomena.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:44 pm
Mysteryman, no worries from me! And, I am sorry to say I didn't know or remember that you'd been in Iraq. I apologize for that.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:47 pm
@mysteryman,
You and I have bumped heads occasionally here... but I have never felt at all offended by anything you have said. Quite the contrary, I have always felt you make your case with integrity.

I have nothing but respect for your service to our country-- this is true of the majority of Americans (regardless of politics).

I am glad you are part of A2K.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 02:56 pm
As far as I am concerned, you are one of the best and most reasonable posters on A2K. While we may have butted heads a couple of times out of scores of interchanges, I can't ever remember when you were not polite and civil.

Honors to you for defending our country.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 03:53 pm
I may have insulted you a time or two, MM. All water under the bridge. Just don't let it happen again. Laughing
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 04:24 pm
@mysteryman,
I've always considered your opinion one of value which is something I can't say about everyone. Hope the self reflection works out for you. It's probably something we all need to do on occasion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 04:26 pm
Damn, I always thought you were quite respectful and generally a nice guy. No need to apologize for anything.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 04:31 pm
Well Mister Mystery, being a Canadian would aver that I am so above the pettiness of Armenians........er.... Americans........er.......wherever...... that it would be water off a beaver's tail (in truth I don't recall us dialogging at all, so you have nothing to apologize to me for).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:31 pm
@mysteryman,
I think it must always be painful to go back and re-read posts that you're not particularly proud of. I've got some of those too and I'll bet that everyone here does. I don't think you've ever been that insulting, but I know what you're talking about, and don't worry. The nice thing about sweeping generalizations is that it's easy to just assume one is not the subject of them and not get worked up about it.

Anyway, it takes a big heart to make that apology, something that has always been obvious about you. All the best to you, MM.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:38 pm
@mysteryman,
You are a thoughtful person, mysteryman. I try not to re-read my old posts. It would make me cringe.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 06:46 pm
MM I think you're a poopity head.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:01 pm
@dyslexia,
btw, poopity heads are peeps I read and pay attention to regardless of if i agree or not.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:38 am
any remark on this site constued by you about attacking US servicemen was done only in your imagination. until you admit that you will get no absolution from me, because if you don't understand the difference between hating the war while supporting the warrior you haven't grown a scintilla in moral stature. your mea culpa about your past would be better received had you not started off with a lie about the motivation for your attitude.

other than that, live well and prosper.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:25 am
@mysteryman,
MM, we've butt heads often but your kindness to my daughter, Butrflynet, has shown me a different side of you that was not apparent to me until now. I like the person you've demonstrated and I've discovered. I always will respect people who learn more about themselves and the people with which they interact and modify their attitudes, even admitting it publically. You have earned my respect. I hope I've earned your respect.

I wonder if you've discovered that there are conservatives and then there are other conservatives. It depends on how one defines conservatism. There are many conservatives I respect and agree with on many issues. Then there are the others who think they are conservative but really are not. They have changed the meaning of conservatism. Instead, many are biggots, authoritians, and fanatics, both political and religious and insist in forcing people to agree with and live by their beliefs. I don't respect them and will not allow them to impose their life style on me.

I developed with a very strong sense of justice as a child, which has shaped my life. I've spent most of my life attempting to improve the lives of working class people as a volunteer and as an non-profit organization employee. As a result, I didn't make a lot of money, but I was effective in correcting wrongs, which was all the compensation I required.

I think you failed to recognize that liberals can be patriots and love their country enough to object when their leaders are wrong in policies and attitudes that harm the citizens. To not challenge them would be a failure of patriotism. I always have put the welfare of my country ahead of political party and wish everyone did. I despise those who put their Party first and their country last. They are not patriots, they are self-interested.

You didn't realize how strongly I respect our troops and posted lots of information about supporting them and advocating for their need while at war or after in their civilian status, and especially on recovering from their wounds. I get angry when civilian and military commanders don't do right by our troops. I will always continue to do so. I was married to two WWII veterans, one of which was a paratrooper and received the Croix de Guerre from France for his service in the Battle of the Bulge and his participation in the liberation of France and of the concentration camps. His experience remained with him all of his life and also informed me about troop experience.

In my opinion, love of country comes before love of dogma. What do you think?

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:52 am
@kuvasz,
Kuvasz, it's unfortunate that you could not be more gracious with Mystery Man. Your response says more about you than it does him.

BBB
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:28 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz,

I will be happy to post some of the quotes I originally got angry about, if you really feel its needed.

The point is that I was angry and rude and mean to many people on this site and others that didnt deserve it.
I am not looking for kudos for having served in Iraq, I am trying to apologize for my actions since I got back.

As for the rest of you, thank you for allowing me to apologize.
hamburger

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:40 pm
@mysteryman,
mm :

unless we only post in wordgames , most of us have disagreed with one another on many subjects - that's part of posting here imo .
you have had strong opinions but never been rude imo .
(i have strong opinions on certain subjects too - just hope i was never rude - but i wouldn't be a good judge of that) .
anyway , let's all post our opinions - perhaps we'll learn from each other - even if it's only a bit more tolerance for the other posters opinion .
don't think we are ready to turn a2k into a "good humour club" ... ... yet .
take care .
hbg