Just how old am I anyway?

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:41 pm
I was reminded again last night just how old I am. I went to the local high school's play, "Get Smart."

It was nicely done, complete with '60s style decor, costumes and music.

Maxwell Smart had his famous shoe phone, and this is where I realized how very old I am. The actor (who is excellent, btw) had to make several phone calls with his shoe and every time, he dialed it counter-clockwise.

I'll bet this kid has never even seen a dial telephone, let alone ever actually dialed one!

Come to think of it, there is possibly a full generation now who have never dialed a telephone.

List some other modern things that a whole generation has not experienced, but that you know like the back of your hand :
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,471 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 10:27 pm
@GeneralTsao,
8-tracks
I don't know them like the back of my hand, but I do remember them.

Telephone party lines
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:19 pm
hand control instead of a remote
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:21 pm
setting the points on your car engine
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:26 pm
@GeneralTsao,
Yellow margarine was kind of revolutionary. You do remember when a pound of white stuff came in a cellophane package with a dot of orange dye that you needed to mix into it, don't you? That was cellophane, too. Nothing came in a plastic package. Nothing.
GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:10 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yellow margarine was kind of revolutionary. You do remember when a pound of white stuff came in a cellophane package with a dot of orange dye that you needed to mix into it, don't you? That was cellophane, too. Nothing came in a plastic package. Nothing.

Margarine isn't yellow? It's colored?

I guess butter must be colored too, come to think of it--milk is white.

And I forgot that cellophane is *not* plastic, though my mom and grandparents always called that plastic film, Saran Wrap, "cellophane."

What is cellophane, anyway? Is it that stuff they wrap firecrackers with?
GeneralTsao

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:12 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

hand control instead of a remote

Edgar,
I remember the knobs, and the next thing I had was an infrared remote. Someone told me once that there was a tone remote before the infrared. Do you know anything about that?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:27 am
Most kids have never seen a typewriter and could not live without spell check. Could you imagine, we had to type everything and get it done right the first time and proofing it ourselves?

And 8-10 songs on an album. Not like the 2500 songs they have in iPods today,
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:33 am
@GeneralTsao,
Cellophane is produced from cellulose; wood fibers I believe. Technically, it is a form of plastic, I suppose. The margarine is dyed to simulate the natural appearance of butter, of course.

I remember sandwiches packed in waxed paper, of course. Sandwich bags, even with the zip lock feature, no longer seem like a new invention.
0 Replies

vishal1

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2016 04:42 am
ya..hand control instead of a remote.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2016 07:11 am
When I was a boy we didn't need any steenking remote, because we had no television. Just radio. And books. And talking to each other.
saab

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2016 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
....and playing games together.
0 Replies