William F. Buckley Jr.: Dem-talk is anti-rich

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 11:01 am
William F. Buckley Jr.: Dem-talk is anti-rich
By William F. Buckley Jr.
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Friday, September 26, 2003

Gen. Wesley Clark was in public view for the first time. It is remarked that he was all but ignored by the other presidential aspirants, which is true. Viewers waited for his basic autobiographical declaration. Is it true that as recently as in 2001 he praised Presidents Reagan and Bush at a Republican dinner? In Arkansas? Gen. Clark didn't deny this. What he said was that it had been "an incredible journey" for him and "for this country since early 2001." That's right. The United States entered into a recession and was attacked by terrorists who killed 3,000 people in New York City and Washington. "I knew that I needed to speak out. And when I needed to speak out, there was only one party to come to."

That's the way people tend to talk who decide they want to run for president. No one gives much thought to what they say, because (1) there isn't that much time -- there were 10 presidential candidates standing around there; and (2) it's a waste of time. What would Gen. Clark have come up with? What changed him from cheerleading Republican in 2001 to front-line critic of the Republican Party under the leadership of the same man he praised in 2001? What vision is it that he got? Was there a trance, like overnight? Or more prolonged, like St. Augustine's? Not too prolonged, because he had only two years in which to go from cheering the Republicans to deciding that duty required him to head a national movement to replace them. Undecided voters are entitled to wonder what fresh epiphany he might have in the next two years. Where would this one take him?

The candidates' session was devoted in case after case to the matter of taxes. More accurately, to a denunciation of President Bush's tax reductions for the rich. The denunciation of that part of the new tax code that extended benefits to the rich was unanimous, but there were disagreements as the question of outright repeal presented itself. Sen. John Kerry and Sen. Joe Lieberman have tried to make this point, namely that to come out simply for repealing the Bush tax bill requires a commitment to undoing the whole of it, and this would be hurtful to a lot of people who are not millionaires -- what about them? Howard Dean's categorical approaches to matters small and large do not welcome time off for discrimination, so he renewed his commitment to undoing the whole tax law and starting again from scratch.

Sen. Lieberman let out a little common sense, as he often does. He said he would repeal the tax cuts "on the highest-income Americans." Why? "They don't need it." That's true. Bill Gates doesn't need an extra million. But there are dangers in parsing the tax code in quite that way. What is the value of the redundant advantage? Does everyone absolutely require free speech protection, even for zany expressions of opinion?

The candidates were exercising extraordinary license in speech to analyze those Bush tax cuts for the rich. If you take the fabled 1 percent and add up the tax relief the very rich got from the Bush law, you come up with $25 billion per year. That is a great deal of money, but of course needs to be viewed in perspective. In the current fiscal year, the nondefense budget deficit will increase by $120 billion, which is nearly five times the cuts for the rich. Those increases in government expenses, which ran more than 20 percent higher than indexation, were not criticized by the Democratic candidates in part, one must suppose, because most of them were voted for by Democratic members of Congress.

And that perspective brings us to muse on how such as Sen. Lieberman parlay that 1 percent tax cut for the rich as causing the national debt, deficits, illegitimacy and malaria. Bush "sent us in a deficit that will cost the middle class, our children and grandchildren, all sorts of money in the future." The burdens and the liberties enjoyed by our grandchildren are more closely related to whether we can stop terrorism and swollen government than to any initiative by Mr. Bush to restore $25 billion to the people who earned it and keep on doing so.

But anti-rich talk is the bacon and eggs of Democratic camaraderie. Every now and then it exposes the witch doctors to a sharp little stab of thought. The lady interrogator, Gloria Borger, having heard all of the candidates declare that they would not want any new tax increases, asked them, How are you going to eliminate the tax cuts of 2001 without enacting tax increases? A nice point, but the candidates quickly, unanimously, swiftly decided to ignore it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,342 • Replies: 27
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 11:06 am
GOP always charges Dems with "class warfare"
As long as I can remember, when Democrats complain that Republicans of wealth and supporting the wealthy are, in fact, engaging in class warfare against the middle and lower financial classes, the Republicans cry fowl political class warfare.

And when the Democrats try to make a little progress towards survival of the non-wealthy classes, the Republicans still scream "class warfare."

How long will we allow the Republicans to have it both ways?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 12:45 pm
I agree. When a Democrat rails against wrondoers, who happen to be rich, that is not a rail against persons for having wealth, but against the wrong-doing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 01:08 pm
Well, what class is likely to make any sort of an issue out of 'class warfare'?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 03:15 am
Not a class of losers from a country whose money is worth .65 cents American, that's for sure!!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:48 am
We'll recall the 92 Republican Convention when (related by Didion somewhere or other) the press was kept away from the airport in Houston or Dallas where the convention was held so as not to complexify the populist message from the stage with photos of all those Lear jets coming in.

I happen to think class warfare is a good thing - remedial social activism. When there's a great divide between the wealth and power of a very small minority running the show, and everyone else, that minority will have/believe/voice a limited repetoir of justifications for being in such a position (and for ensuring the status quo) such as...we are god's chosen, we are clearly more competent, we deserve it through our hard work and prudence.

Often, the merit argument has merit, but obviously it applies only to a single generation - George Jr being a clear example of being born with a silver spoon beneath his nose.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:30 am
Italgato wrote:
Not a class of losers from a country whose money is worth .65 cents American, that's for sure!!

For someone who wasted a great deal of bandwidth about standards, isn't that comment a little off?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
but consistent
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:12 am
Some people have no class.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:17 am
Ba-da-bump! Wink
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:13 am
Ba-da-boom
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:38 am
oink
oink, oink?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:37 am
Pussy's the snitch.......only one thing to do about it. Sleep with the fishes...... let's put GW to political sleep.....let's make him a big loser on election day.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:15 pm
BBB

Actually, I like old Bill. He's a heck of a writer and I'll forgive most anything in that case. But he's also a conservative of the old school east coast sort, well educated, sharp as hell, and very witty.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
Joe Pine to Frank Zappa "I see you have long hair, you must be a girl"
Frank Zappa to Joe Pine "I see you have a wooden leg, you must be a table"
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:34 pm
Laughing!! well stated.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:39 pm
Th th th th that's all folks.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 11:47 pm
laughing......y'all stop it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:27 am
Blatham
Blatham, I agree with you about Bill Buckley. He son is also a great wit.

I always enjoyed the debates between Bill Buckley and Gore Vidal. Too bad they don't engage in them again. They are both extremely bright and witty people with polar-opposite views.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:37 am
BBB

I too miss the such debates very much indeed. Charlie Rose does wonderful interviews these days as does Bill Moyers, but the political shows are so incestuous (same faces, same mediocrities) and unrefreshing that I want to scream. I recently saw an old CBC debate with Norman Mailer, Malcolm Muggeridge and Marshall McLuhan....it was like walking into a bright spring morning. Vidal won't show up on prime time now for the same set of depressing reasons that we won't see Chompsky - too much undercut of national myth, and too demanding of the intellect.
0 Replies