Doctor Nurse Degree

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:57 pm
So, do you think this will help? Or what?

New Degree Creates Doctor Nurses " And Confusion
by Sally Herships

Ray Scarpa is an advanced practice nurse with an advanced doctorate degree. He's been practicing nursing at University Hospital in Newark, N.J., for 28 years. University Hospital

All Things Considered, February 22, 2009 ยท No one wants to badmouth Florence Nightingale, but a new degree for nurses is causing bad blood between doctors and their longtime colleagues. The program confers the title of doctor on nurses, but some in the medical profession say only physicians should call themselves "doctor."

Dr. Steven Knope is a family practitioner in Tucson, Ariz. "If you're on an airline," he jokes, "and a poet with a Ph.D. is there and somebody has a heart attack, and they say 'Is there a doctor in the house?' " should the poet stand up?" Knope laughs. "Of course not."

Physicians such as Knope say the title of doctor implies a certain amount of training, hours in medical school that nurses just don't have. Dr. Ted Epperly, president of the American Association of Family Practitioners, says that while doctors place a high value on nurses, sharing the same title could confuse " and even harm " patients.

"I can just imagine a patient of mine walking into my exam room and saying, 'Now Dr. Smith, are you a doctor doctor, or are you a doctor nurse?'"

"I am a doctorally prepared nurse," says doctor nurse Ray Scarpa. A doctor, he says, "is a doctorally prepared physician."

Scarpa works in the department of surgery at University Hospital in New Jersey. "I am not here to practice medicine, I am here to practice nursing," he says. "And I practice it at an advanced level, and I have earned the right to be called doctor."

For nursing students who begin right after college, it can take about six years to get the degree. While there is some overlap in knowledge, Scarpa says, doctors diagnose and treat while nurses have a wider focus including family, support and community.

Doctors Feel Threatened

The doctoral program for nurses is offered at more than 200 schools and began at the Columbia University School of Nursing. Dean Mary Mundinger says the tension is more about turf than patient confusion.

"It's about status," Mundinger says. "It's about ego, it's about presence. It's about standing in their community."

Here's where physicians and the new doctor nurses agree: Both groups say physicians feel threatened. They see the new breed of nurses as an invasion of their turf.

Fourth-year medical student Janet Pullockaran at University Hospital's emergency room understands the threat. "With all these new people " physician assistants, nurse practitioners coming into the field " maybe our training won't lead to a secure position in the future," she says.

A Role Doctors Can't Fill

But there's a shortage of primary caregivers, and it's possible the new nurses will help fill the void.

Louis Boeckel has throat cancer. He faces people in white coats day in and day out. He just had a tracheotomy and can't talk, so he writes notes on a pad for his wife, Carol, to read. When asked if he's worried about mixing up his physician with his nurse, Ray Scarpa, Boeckel writes, "Best doctor."

Boeckel's wife says they are concerned about who's providing their care, but to them, the title of doctor for their nurse just means he's that much more qualified.

"We view him as a doctor, because he does come and take care of all [Louis'] immediate needs as any doctor would do," she says.

The first exam to certify the doctor nurses was given in November. It's a modified version of a test given to physicians. The next test is scheduled for October, but some physicians are trying to prevent the National Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Comprehensive Care from administering it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,281 • Replies: 19
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:00 pm
I think it all started when the garbage man became a sanitation engineer.
djjd62

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:03 pm
in canada we call them Nurse Practitioners
seems to work well in understaffed areas
roger

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:11 pm
@djjd62,
We already have nurse practicioners. I believe they are rated somewhat higher than Physicians' Assistants. The Doctor Nurse Degree is something else again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
I seriously doubt that medical doctors have any right, and they certainly have no case, to block a nurse who has earned a legitimate doctoral degree from calling themselves doctor...a degree that existed long before they did!!!

Of course, it is important that people are fully informed as to the qualifications of health practiutioners...both patients and colleagues...and what they may therefore reasonably expect from them.

The territorial turf wars between nurses and doctors (and every other health profession, pretty much) have gone on for years...this is only the latest front.

I CAN see a slight case, I suppose, in relation to confusion if nurses are using the doctor title....but it ought to be easy to deal with.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:53 pm
I have no opinion about this but I find it awfully funny. I know several physicians with PhD's in some arcane area of their field (it is a career path into reearch and away from practice). They call themselves Doctor, Doctors.

In PA we require that school superintendents acquire an EdD degree, and its only a way to keep score, the degree has no value in the real world since most of them dont do a dissertation or applied thesis, and they just take a prescribed number of courses and have an exit interview with a cluster of similarly trained folks.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:19 pm
my ex got a PhD in nursing about 25 yrs ago and it was not uncommon then.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:36 pm
Since I work with nurses every day, I'm aware of the acute shortage. Physician extenders, such as nurse practioners are being used more and more. Anything that will intice more skilled nurses into the profession should be welcome.

IMHO if a doctor feels threatened, it's because he/she feels a doctor nurse is going to be horning in on his income.

Not too long ago, birthing babies was considered generally beneath a physicians skills. That was left to midwives unless he had to be called on for a life or death delivery. Even then, they weren't always there.

Then, as some people's income increased, they started paying their midwives more money, and physicians saw there was gold in them there uteri.

The pendulum swung so far in the other direction, at one point in recent history, it would have been unheard of in most company to left a mere midwife deliver your child. Now, the pendulum is swinging toward center. Don't know where it will go from there.

I've had nurse practitioners treat me, and had every bit of faith in them as a doctor. A nurse with a doctorate will still have to confer with a physicians over some matters. I'm sure it will be as highly regulated as anything else in the medical field.

Nurse practioners take a big load of routine items off a physicians plate, so he/she can concentrate on the riskier/more skill needed aspects.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:35 pm
@farmerman,
Two of my friends who are psychiatrists are doing doctorates in completely different areas.

I just tell them that the second doctor in their titles will have to be a silent one.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 07:05 pm
@dlowan,
Sort of like major major..

This seems an old problem, re people with doctorates and those with medical doctorates. (In my memory, some with science docs used to mock the mds). More of a semantics thing. I'm working on some names. PhD inNursing could be Phudder. But that sounds mocking and I don't mean it to be.
Phurse. Well, all I think of on those lines sounds make-fun.

A lot of us in other professions use end of name clarification. I'm Ossobuco Gelato, RLA (registered landscape architect). The odd year I pay my dues, I'm Ossobuco Gelato, ASLA. That's like AIA. Presumably if I got a doctorate in nursing (which I can see as a serious advanced degree), I'd be Ossobuco Gelato, PhD Nursing, or PhDN. And addressed in classes as Dr. Gelato.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:56 pm
My roommate's mother is finishing her PhD in Nursing. From what I've come to learn, the amount of required knowledge and experience is equal with that of a Doctor.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
@Diest TKO,
the trouble is with the word in the med field.

As I alluded to earlier, scientists don't routinely revere mds - unless scientists have changed while I've been out of it. Right around 1965, my friends in med or science or whatever stopped with the doctor stuff except in some work circumstances.

Presumably, if that is still going on, nurses!! will get a snub too.

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:22 am
@ossobuco,
I don't know all fields but many in my engineering dept had their doctorate in their field. We called them professor, but there was mutliple occasions when a guest speaker would thank them or acknowledge them as "Dr. Midha" "Dr. Pernicka" etc.

My roommate's mother works for the Army as a Nurse practitioner currently and already hold authority over many doctors. She can make many decisions that a doctor doesn't have the authority to.

The notion that nursing is a lesser field is one promoted by self important doctors. She has the respect of her colleges and when she gets her Phd, she will be addressed as Dr. Bernard.

T
K
O
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:07 am
@Diest TKO,
I also worked my way through high school and university as a staff person at a snappy hospital and as an office person in a doctor's office, two jobs, twice the fun. Our nurse would say to the lucky one, "doctor will see you now".

There's a cultural usage connected to "doctor" that has taken a beating in the last few decades.

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:55 am
@ossobuco,
I guess I'm confused. How has the term doctor taken a beating?

T
K
O
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 02:02 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

I guess I'm confused. How has the term doctor taken a beating?

T
K
O

They have lost the fight to be considered gods.

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 02:19 am
@dlowan,
I think that race is still pretty hot between the geneticists, and the physicists over at the Large Hadron Collider.

T
K
O
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:19 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

They have lost the fight to be considered gods.

Oh, believe me, some of them are stilling fighting that one.
0 Replies

dinowv

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 08:32 pm
The PhD degree historically, fundamentally, academically, and most correctly certainly 'outranks' the lower MD degree, which is actually awarded as a lower academic degree than that of the PhD. Since the word 'doctor' fundamentally means 'scholar' or 'teacher', the one real 'doctor' is the PhD, and most certainly it is not the MD, which began when barbers wanted to enhance their status by calling themselves 'doctor,' (think of the MD degree as a master's degree, which is lower than the PhD). As such, MDs themselves have been guilty of confusing the public when calling themselves 'doctor.' Thus, a nurse PhD who calls herself/himself 'doctor' has more accurately and righfully a claim to the doctor title than those with the (lower ranking) MD degree. Mr. MD, heal thyself!
0 Replies

Carol Ann Boeckel

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 09:00 pm
@roger,
I get a laugh when you have Dr.'s in the classrooms, courts, chemical and biology labs but have a Dr. as a nurse and the Medical field gets annoyed. Thank goodness for the advanced degree that helps us get better faster with wonderful care. This degree is wonderful and I am greatful that we have dedicated people like Dr. Ray Scarpa who took on this degree to help others...He truly cares about this patients and went to school to prove it.

Carol Ann Boeckel
0 Replies