Tracking down health care costs.

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 01:59 pm
I am trying to find out how much is spent on health care in my county for all services and by all people and businesses. The Medicare/Medicaid premiums costs are readily available, but does anyone know how to find out the premiums employers pay for insurance and copays by their workers, and out of pocket costs ordinary Jane and Joe Citizen pay for their prescriptions, doctors visits, etc. Where do I find the figures?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,420 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 05:42 pm
@startrek,
What country are you in?
startrek

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:09 am
@NickFun,
United States. Cortland County, NY.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:41 am
I suspect that you will never find the actual records. These are, after all, private transactions between private individuals. However, you might be able to get good ball park figures from any one of several sources. Insurance companies rely upon actuarial tables, which are usually pretty specifically fine tuned--so, for example, when i moved, and informed my insurance company of my change of address, they actually lowered my auto insurance premium, because my new address was "less risky" by their actuarial tables.

I'll see if i can come up with anything. The State of New York should have a public health department epidemiological department which can provide figures on the incidence and prevalence of morbid conditions (roughly, disease) and trauma, which it would not be unreasonable to expect is broken down by county. Additionally, there are several insurance institutes which may provide actuarial information. There are other private organizations which might be able to provide you such information, too, such as AARP.

I'll go see if i can find something for you in the insurance line.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
You can visit the web site of the Insurance Information Institute by clicking here. If you don't find the kind of information you are looking for at that site, try sending them an e-mail: even if they can't help you with your specific questions, they may be able to direct you to someone who can.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:50 am
You can visit the web site of the Society of Actuaries by clicking here. I suspect that you would not find what you are looking for at this site, but if you got to the bottom and click on the "contact us" link, and send them an e-mail, once again, they might either be able to help you, or to point you in the right direction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:54 am
Click here to visit the site of the New York Academy of Medicine. This is another site at which i suspect you will not find what you are looking for specifically, but you should click on their "contact us" link and send them an e-mail to know if they can help you, or direct you to someone else.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:56 am
Click here to visit the site of the Department of Health of the State of New York. As always, try the contact us link to send a message telling them of what you are specifically looking for.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 12:34 pm
@startrek,
I suggest you contact Physicians for a National Health Program.

http://www.pnhp.org/

or Divided We Fall ( a part of AARP)

http://www.aarp.org/issues/dividedwefail/health/

I'm not sure exact numbers are available for what you are asking, but I have seen similar statistics to the numbers you seek from these groups.
0 Replies