Annoying tool bars

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:27 pm
About six months ago a YAHOO tool bar appeared on my start page - I seem to remember a question popping up about it. I suspect it was an "opt out" question. I wasn't crazy about a new tool bar, but it didn't seem to do any harm. Later, I decided that I simply had too many tool bars & to take it off - but nothing works. How does one eliminate a tool bar? How do you know which ones are worth keeping? I don't use them - are they beneficial or helpful? Is there a "dark" (commercial) side to tool bars?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,484 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
Right-click on the line where the tool bars are; you should get a little menu where various toolbars are checked. Just uncheck the ones you don't want to see. This is how it works in Windows Vista.
Woollcott

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:38 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for an incredibly quick reply. I have Mozilla Firefox. It appears to be very similar to Windows Vista - but I guess not because when I right-click, I get such things as "add/edit buttons," "Change toolbar layout," etc. ("Change tool bar does permit one to change or modify individual buttons.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 07:41 pm
@jespah,
stay out of annoying tool bars
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 08:13 pm
My Computer / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs

You'll find it there and then you can follow the prompts to remove it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:44 pm
@Chumly,
You won't find the toolbar here. You specified that it's a firefox plugin, so you need to go to Firefox > Tools > Add ons (it's called something else in earlier versions of firefox, so if you see plug ins or extensions that's what you are looking for)

From there, you can remove any of the Firefox add ons you don't want.
Woollcott

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:05 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly:
Thanks! I followed your instructions, and (thus far) everything went great. Thanks again!
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Bob Gentel:
Thanks. I didn't get to your answer because I followed Chumly's advice, and everything seems to have worked out. But thanks for answering. I sincerely appreciate it.
0 Replies