Poor Lonely Firefox... :-(

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:09 pm
Quote:
Horizons

Firefox sees popularity fade
Firefox, a browser managed by Mozilla, appears to be losing ground to Google Chrome. What's wrong with Firefox?

By Matthew Shaer / March 1, 2010

Firefox, the open source browser launched in 2004, appears to be losing some of its luster, according to a new set of data crunched by NetApplications. Since November of last year, Firefox has watched its market share fade, losing popularity three months in a row for the first time in its history. New February numbers now place the upstart browser at 24.23 percent. That leaves Firefox a hair under the 25 percent mark that has long eluded the team at Mozilla, the company that manages Firefox.

No one is waving the white flag. Firefox still occupies a comfortable second place in the browser wars, well beyond Microsoft's Internet Explorer, but leaps ahead of Google Chrome (5.61 percent in February) and Safari (4.45 percent in February). Moreover, the Firefox add-on trade is bustling, always a good indication of browser strength. According to Mozilla, more than 1.8 billion adds-ons have been downloaded, with 153 million currently in use.

... http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0301/Firefox-sees-popularity-fade

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2010/0301/Firefox-sees-popularity-fade

panzade

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
what are the advantages of chrome?
tsarstepan

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:26 pm
@panzade,
It's the fastest browser out there. For me, it crashes less then IE or Firefox and when it does crash on the rare occasion, it's more likely to recover the last pages it was on before it crashed.

Before I switched over to Chrome, I was using Firefox and for some reason it started to become sluggish and incapable of remembering certain passwords. Now I'm on Chrome, all is hunky dory.

I like it's GUI including the art themes:
https://tools.google.com/chrome/intl/en/themes/index.html
tsarstepan

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm also addicted to the address bar = Google search bar, so much that when I'm at the library and all they have is IE, I keep forgetting that IE's address bar doesn't do that and when I type in a keyword, I end up confusing the browser.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:32 pm
I still use and like my firefox.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:55 pm
Interesting. For a long time, I did not have my own computer and had to use the public library. I believe that this particular forum could not be opened by Firefox which is part of the reason why I lost contact with it.
msolga

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Before I switched over to Chrome, I was using Firefox and for some reason it started to become sluggish and incapable of remembering certain passwords. Now I'm on Chrome, all is hunky dory.

Interesting, tsar. I've had the same experience with Firefox, recently. (Forever clearing my cache to try & improve performance.)

So maybe a change to Chrome might eventually be on the cards.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 09:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Quote:
Horizons

Firefox sees popularity fade
Firefox, a browser managed by Mozilla, appears to be losing ground to Google Chrome. What's wrong with Firefox?

Nothing's wrong with Firefox except that it's got poor marketing. Google is hyping Chrome, and Google has the biggest soapbox on the web to shout from. Firefox has/had a strong start based on functionality, but marketing visibility is inevitably going to eat away at the lead.
Robert Gentel

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:00 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Nothing's wrong with Firefox except that it's got poor marketing. Google is hyping Chrome, and Google has the biggest soapbox on the web to shout from. Firefox has/had a strong start based on functionality, but marketing visibility is inevitably going to eat away at the lead.

That is just simply not true on all fronts. Firefox has had far, far more marketing than Chrome (huge community campaigns, media stunts like setting the dubious "record" for software downloads, competitions by firefox fans to see who could evangelize it most...). It's simply not even close, and Google doesn't push Chrome very hard (and Google used to push firefox and even pay webmasters when they got others to download it).

It's also not true that there is little difference but marketing. Chrome simply stands head and shoulders over Firefox in many objective measurements such as:

- Resources used (doesn't leak memory like sieve like Firefox)
- JavaScript execution speed (makes heavy JavaScript applications, which are becoming much more popular, much faster)

The security model is superior to all other browsers on the marketplace, the UI is a dramatic improvement in usability over all other browsers, and the resource use model (each tab is separate from others so it can crash just a plugin, or just a tab without crashing the whole browser) is a breath of fresh air for heavy internet users.

The bottom line is that Google built the best browser on the complacent marketplace just like Firefox once did and just like Firefox will now have to get back to doing if it wants to keep its browser share.

Google already gets all they want financially out of Firefox. They pay them to be the default search engine. But Firefox was not innovating fast enough, and was getting sluggish and not keeping up with the demands of applications that are growing more and more complex with more code being executed by the browser (JavaScript, with sites such as Google Maps, Yahoo Mail etc relying on more and more of it).

Google is a big leader in these heavy web apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Reader) so a faster internet is a benefit to them and they simply made a browser that blows firefox out of the water. The performance improvement is as dramatic as Firefox's improvement over IE was if not more so.

Now it's Firefox's turn to innovate or die. They have already started caring about how fast their JavaScript runs and making huge improvements, so this new browser war is already working out well for the end users.
Diest TKO

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 10:01 pm
I loved Firefox for it's plug-ins, and then I learned about the extentions for chrome.

Beautify Facebook - goodbye ads, ergonomically arranges things better, and adds hot-key functionality.

Cooliris - 3D picture and video (direct youtube search as well!) browsing of the internet and your computer's folders. Amazingly cool.

Google Wave Notifier - Gives me a tiny icon with info on my wave account. handy.

Google Translate - Self explanitory

Google Dictionary - Helpful when reading some of the more vocabulaire types here on A2K.

Better Pandora - Mostly cosmetic improvement for pandora.com

T
K
Oh and it's a fast browser with a great flash engine.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:15 am
@Robert Gentel,
My only fault with Google Chrome is it's really annoying inadequate spell check feature. The browser does tell me when I've misspelled a word but I keep having to Google words I can't seem to spell right as it's internal dictionary can't offer correct spelling alternatives to my misspelled words. I never had this problem with Firefox. 9 out of 10 misspelled words were figured by Firefox (or so it seemed).
sozobe

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:48 am
@plainoldme,
I've been using Firefox the whole time I've been on A2K...
0 Replies

djjd62

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:02 am
i use chrome the most, but on occasion i fire up both safari and firefox
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 11:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

That is just simply not true on all fronts. Firefox has had far, far more marketing than Chrome (huge community campaigns, media stunts like setting the dubious "record" for software downloads, competitions by firefox fans to see who could evangelize it most...). It's simply not even close, and Google doesn't push Chrome very hard (and Google used to push firefox and even pay webmasters when they got others to download it).

On the other hand, I could be wrong.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:00 pm
Man its weird; I got an email saying this guy/girl/other named (Robert Gentel) has decided to cyber-stalk me. I have to admit everyone tells me I look like a young Gregory Peck, so it could be that. Some have to be held under water longer than others but eventually EVERYONE seems to see the resemblance. Otherwise I think he must believe I am a Jew, you know about the Gentels, they’ve always hated Jews. I have contacted the FBI’s cyber-crime unit. They said it’s pretty bold (read: stupid) to actually announce to someone that you are starting to commit a felony against them. They told me to keep the creep talking tell they get there. So I have a question…yea that’s it … a question…

I have programmed for years as a programmer and as needed for my former life in science (as you probably found out about me already) but have managed to stay away from the web. I recently took the plunge. I am teaching myself PHP, Dreamweaver, etc. Luckily there are plenty of exceptions to keep the programming interesting and brighten my day with questions like: why does it look like that in THIS browser? I haven’t uploaded Chrome yet. PLEASE tell me that it will be non-compatible with the other browsers in all those excitedly unexpected ways that Firefox and say ANY version of I.E., for example. I sure hope table borders collapse in their own unique way in Chrome too!

P.S. When you hear a nock at the door run to answer it COULD be Publishers Clearing House!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

My only fault with Google Chrome is it's really annoying inadequate spell check feature. The browser does tell me when I've misspelled a word but I keep having to Google words I can't seem to spell right as it's internal dictionary can't offer correct spelling alternatives to my misspelled words. I never had this problem with Firefox. 9 out of 10 misspelled words were figured by Firefox (or so it seemed).

And it spells in American!!!

You can teach it, though.
tsarstepan

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:13 pm
@dlowan,
But American English IS the ONLY CORRECT method of spelling no matter what language you are writing in!
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/CRT/CRT466/15477-23dg.jpg
dlowan

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Unsinn.
ehBeth

Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:19 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Unsinn.

what she said
0 Replies