A Serious General Health Question

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:47 am
I'm taking a blood pressure med... a weak one... and it's doing it's job perfectly. I've also upped my workout regimen back to it's original schedule....which is pretty stringent...cardio and weight training six days a week. Iknow that in itself can lower your blood pressure which is a good thing.

This morning I went to get up from my desk (about 30 minutes ago) and became very dizzy and my head was swimming like crazy and my legs buckled on me...squinney had to help me to walk to the bed.
the whole episode lasted about 2 minutes or so I guess. She felt for my heart rate and said it was very low. I usually run on the high side. I still feel kind of spacy and swimmy although I'm walking around okay.

I know that blood pressure meds will sometimes make you feel a little light headed if you get up too quickly and I've experienced that a couple of times but not to this degree. I had just taken my meds within 20 minutes of this episode.

My question is...should I shake it off and go to the gym and about my business or rest until I feel "regular" again?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,650 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:04 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
When was the last time you ate before the episode? I wonder if your sugar crashed.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:08 am
last night... I was having my first cup of coffee...with splenda.
jespah

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:10 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I bet your blood sugar was low.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:12 am
well, I'll make my egg white omelette and then see if i feel differently.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 08:56 am
Bear, be smart. Tell your doctor what happened - don't try to guess the cause.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 09:20 am
no doctor until my new health insurance kicks in mid march....I ate and showered and i feel okay.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:32 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
I've had that when I switched bp meds. In my case, I took my bp immediatedly and it was quite low. Looked at the paper that comes with the meds, and it mentioned dizzyness. Also like yours, the dizzyness went away when I waited it out, and diminished happening when I kept taking the pills as prescribed (Yes, I saw my doctor, she said it was common).

It happened again with the pills I'm on now, which I figure are too strong and I need to see the doc again... though as I've kept taking them, the reaction has waned.

So... what... a) talk to the doc, b) follow your bp (maybe you already do).

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:36 am
@ossobuco,
Just saw the other replies. In my situation, I'm sure it was a zoom down in blood pressure, since it has happened a few times and I'm an assiduous bp checker now (wrist cuff, Walgreen's). I can feel it happening, it's quite fast, and happens about an hour after taking a pill. (Not that it has happened often, just at pill prescription change/transition.)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:39 am
@ossobuco,
So, Bear, do you have the slip of paper that comes with the pills? If not, you can find this stuff online.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:52 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
so Bear....that was a few hours back..... are you feeling a wee bit better now??????
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:37 pm
@Izzie,
I feel fine thanks for asking... been out doing errands... and now I'm going to the gym. I had to go to DMV...which could easily explain my blood pressure going back up. Those assholes couldn't find their dicks in the dark with a flashlight and two hands.
roger

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:08 pm
@jespah,
That seems to cover the symptoms, though I'm not sure it accounts for the low pulse rate.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:39 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Good..... glad to hear.

Now... DMV mental picture.... Shocked wait.... maybe not

hope today was a goodun for you and no more probs. x
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 05:48 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Dizzyness on standing up is a fairly common symptom of low blood pressure. Maybe your medication is doing a thorougher job than it should? Did you measure your blood pressure during or shortly after the episode?

I agree with BBB: talk to your doctor about it. This layman's guess is that he might lower your doseage.
0 Replies