gollum

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:24 am
Toilet Bowl Cleaner is sold in supermarkets. The consumer puts it in the toilet tank and it injects something into the water each time the toilet is flushed causing the toilet water to become blue.

Since the water in the toilet is clean prior to using the toilet and it is clean after the flushing action is completed, what is the value of using such a product?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 5,385 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 02:38 pm
The blue color masks blood, so I would not recommend it!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:39 pm
We are very uncomfortable with ourselves as 'physical' beings that urinate, defecate, vomit, ejectulate, menstrate, salivate, etc. Whenever possible (at least in the West) we do as much as possible to hide this away and project as wholesome an image of our bodily functions as possible. Blue is not a not a colour associated with these and is then "clean' and can be used to neutralise the possible offence.

Thus, blue water in the toilet bowl gives the impression of clean. A blue liquid poured onto feminine hygiene products shows that they work without the ickeness that would result from a red liquid. Cute pictures on baby nappies/diapers avoid us thinking about their contents. And so it goes...
hamburger

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:49 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
mr still wrote :

Quote:
We are very uncomfortable with ourselves as 'physical' beings that urinate, defecate

recently watched a program that featured a german manufacturer of toilet-bowls and other sanitary equipment .
the reporter remarked upon the different designs of toilet bowls for domestic
and export (american) markets .
the domestic bowls do not have a straight "fall" but a sort of "plate" .
the rep explained to the inquiring reporter that germans (and other europeans) like to see what's been the result before flushing .
yep - that's true !
hbg

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@hamburger,
A flat toilet? Do you have a photo of such a toilet (defecate not included)?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:33 pm
I think you're wasting your money with the stuff you hang in the tank to turn the water blue. However, there are a number of reasons to keep your toilet bowl clean. Once a week cleaning should be enough. It will prevent micro-organisms from culturing in the residue which remains from your micturition and defecation at the edge of the water, and therefore, it has a sanitary value. Furthermore, and especially if you live in an area with "hard" water, it can help to reduce or eliminate the build-up of "scale," usually in the form of lime (calcium) deposits. Just as the residues of waste materials at the water's edge give off an unpleasant order (which means they are releasing chemicals into the air), so can the lime build-ups at the water's edge, and especially in the rim, out of sight. This is because waste material (especially urine from men who micturate while standing, and so splash urine around the bowl, and the rim, on top and out of sight) will soak into the scale and remain behind after flushing. Finally, the build up of mineral deposits from hard water also releases chemicals when you flush which will cause scale deposits in the pipes, where you can't see, and can't get at it to clean it, and scale in pipes can undermine them, and even cause them, eventually, to rupture.

You don't need to be obsessive about it, but once a week cleaning is a good idea. In the United States, the product which i have always found best is "Sani-flush," which is a crystalline substance of strong chemicals, which does a wonderful job, and can be hazardous. You should only use it if you can open a window, or otherwise freely ventilate the area. You pour a very small amount (about an ounce) of the product in the bowl, and then go away for ten minutes. Then come back with a toilet bowl brush and scrub the surfaces thoroughly, paying special attention t0 the underside of the rim where you can't see, but where lime deposits can build up and close off the "stream holes" through which water is released into the bowl. Finally, this product, although very caustic, gradually breaks down, and will not screw up a sewage system or septic tank--which is why you need to come back in ten minutes and use it before the chemicals break down. The main active ingredient in Sani-flush is sodium bisulfate, and in the water, it produces a mild acid with a relatively low pH, and although it makes noxious fumes, i don't think the fumes can actually do you any harm. DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT WITH ANY OTHER CHEMICAL.

I've never seen any other product which i didn't come to regard as a waste of money in comparison to Sani-flush. If you can't find that brand, or you're not in the United States, look for a product in which the active ingredient is sodium bisulfate. Keep the container in a dry place--if the can gets wet, the product inside will break down and be useless.

Despite what people are trying to tell you here, there are good reasons to keep the toilet bowl clean which have nothing to do with allegations of prudery. It will help keep your bathroom sanitary, and it will protect your plumbing.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 09:57 pm
@Setanta,
Speaking of hard water deposits, is there a way to remove them from the inside of the toilet tank without damaging the pipes and gaskets inside?

I used to use those Clorox bleach tablets you drop inside the toilet tank so that the flushed water contains the germ-killing bleach when it fills the bowl.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/8d/7d/Clorox_Autiomatic_Toilet_Bowl_Cleaner_with_Bleach-resized200.gif

When I was unable to afford the regular purchase and stopped using them, mineral deposits started collecting on the inside of the water tank and now it almost looks copper in color rather than the white procelain. I tried using the bleach tablets again but it doesn't do anything to the mineral deposits already there.

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 08:07 am
Well, the reason i recommended the Sani-flush product is because it forms a mild acid which will help rid your porcelain of lime deposits. I've never known anyone to put it in the tank, though, and really couldn't say if it would remove the scale from inside the tank. I suspect your use of bleach tablets in the past didn't prevent the scale from building up, but just bleached the color so that it looked like the porcelain around it. There are lime removal products such as CLR, but i've never used them, and can't recommend any of them.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 08:23 am
Treating the tank helps to keep all those little holes around the top of the bowl clean and clear. The flush strength is important.

The "blue" just confirms the strength of the product. (Darker means most strong.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 08:54 am
I keep a sack of lime outside the door of our one-holer behind the woodshed. It ain't blue but then I don't flush either, just a scoop of lime and a fly strip hanging from the ceiling.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:54 am
And a Sears and Roebuck catalog . . . you gotta wipe, Dys . . .
hamburger

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 02:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
VINEGAR is still highly recommened for removing hard water deposits - and if you sprinkle a goodly amount of baking soda onto the surface and add the vinegar thereafter , it'll work even better (and you don't have to worry about any acid fumes ) .
and make sure to FLUSH with PLENTY with cold water after about 10-15 minutes .
on the 1st of every month i clean out every sink , the bathtub and the basement drain with that mixture - it not only cleans but also makes it smell fresh .
one summer i forgot to clean the basement drain and it was quite a job to unclog it - learned my lesson .
i usually buy two or three gallon containers of vinegar when it's on sale - about twice a year - it's a cheap and easy way to keep things flowing without adding nasty chemials to our water .
hbg

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infcleaning/infmineraldeposits.html

http://www.askthebuilder.com/297_Toilet_Troubles_-_Catching_The_Phantom_Flusher.shtml
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 02:32 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

And a Sears and Roebuck catalog . . . you gotta wipe, Dys . . .
Monkey Wards
0 Replies

fadridrocky

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2012 06:34 am
@gollum,
I Have seen such cleaner in my aunts home. I was pleased to see the result of this toilet cleaner But as mentioned by you it is difficult to understand its usage
0 Replies

thecleedus01

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 02:56 am
@gollum,
It is useful i think as it spreads a nice smell and also it keeps the toilet clean for a longer period.
0 Replies