I lost my job -- pop the champagne!

genoves

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 02:16 am
Congratulations- Thomas-- You may be opening up a whole new life for yourself.

Seven years ago, I also received notice. I was depressed for a couple of weeks but then found that I really liked the freedom. A month later, a friend asked me if I would like to work with him in an import-export business( we aren't doing so well right now) on a part time basis. I found out that I could live very well on the proceeds from that part time work.

Look around. You will probably find something that suits you to a T.

Good Luck!!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:22 am
I'm sure you'll have a nice time exploring .... New Jersey (there are a couple of still not very well known exits!). And new possible employers.

Meanwhile: enjoy!

http://www.hofmann-bier.de/data/media/content/1/1/kalbshaxnjpg-369.jpg
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 05:30 am
Thomas wrote:
I can drive through the back streets of New Jersey as long as I want. I can learn a new programming language, write some simulations, and play with them, simply because they're interesting, and with no idea if anything useful will ever come of it. I can go to the gym in the morning and stay as long as I feel like it, with no bad conscience nagging that I'll be at work late.

Let's not forget about the girls, Thomas, THE GIRLS!! Mr. Green Mr. Green
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 05:50 am
@Thomas,

congrats, Thomas!

left a job once, so we could move from NY to providence RI.
once we got there, the job opportunities were slim, so i wound up taking a 6-month recharge-the-batteries type hiatus in between jobs.
april to october.
had a blast -- slept late, worked out, didn't stress over being out of work.
i did look for, and eventually found work in Bahstin... the rest is history.

i envy you... take full advantage of the time off -- you don't get a whole lot of it during your 'working years'...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 06:39 am
Although i can't imagine that your immigrant status should affect unemployment compensation (your employer is required to pay a state fund and FUTA--Federal Unemployment Tax Assessment--from the first day of your employment), how long you worked would affect that. All unemployment compensation formulae (as required by participation in the Federal unemployment support program) begin by reviewing your payroll history in the last five quarters. The amount of compensation to which you are entitled is calculated by going back five quarters, and then coming forward four quarters to establish your base year. The amount you may draw is based on your average annual salary during the base year period. If you were not employed steadily for five quarters (i.e., one year and three months), the amount to which you are entitled is reduced. So, for example, if you were employed for one year--four quarters--only the first three quarters would be used to determine your base year, and the average would be, roughly, three quarters of a full year's salary.

Get right down to your local employment services office and file--it won't cost you anything more than your time and the statutory bureaucratic frustrations, and you may be eligible for something.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 06:52 am
do you have a green card, thomas?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:08 am
@Thomas,
Thomas, Hope you told them, "Have a nice day" when you left.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:50 am
I know the feeling and can appreciate how one feels when an uncomfortable assignment is over and you feel like you no longer have to act content.

Roaming around NJ can be dangerous to your health. Pennsylvania is just an hour and a huge life style away.

I can take you to th Yuengling Brewery and show you th coal fields and a "TREE".

ACtually NW Jersey is kinda pretty, it is actually that part that the Jerseyites havent yet fucked or befouled.

You planning to stay in the US? I used ti do individual contracts with The DOE at several facilities around the US, (I believe rap-rap has done engineering for somew of these facilities). You need to check out the DOE website for job opportunities .
Are you in theoretical or applied? cause if youre intheoretical, LAwrence Livermore still hires as project requirements dictate.

Id love to meet you , Im gonna be travelling up in NW NJ in March and April(for my "picher book" ).

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 08:06 am
According to most people I've been unemployed all my life and I've done fine.. so why worry?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:11 am
@Thomas,
I'm envious of your status as a non-worrier, I must say! (I blame my mother).

Well, good then.

Salut.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:28 am
Everybody should be so jobless. Ich gratuliere dir!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:33 am
Glad you're happy about the transition, Thomas. Good luck in all your endeavors.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:23 am
A common enough occurrence these days. Good luck Thomas and, like others here, I hope and expect this transition will work out well for you: your attitude towards it all certaintly suggests that it will.

I think farmerman offered some good suggestions. If I can help followup on any of them I would be pleased to do so.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:41 am
@Thomas,
New Jersey beaches.

New Jersey bikinis.

It's a bit early for the bikinis, but it's not a bad time to start checking out the flight patterns along the shore.

http://www.njaudubon.org/Education/Oases/importance.html

http://www.birdnature.com/spnj.html

and what else is New Jersey famous for? in the Chowhound world

http://www.state.nj.us/jerseyfresh/index.html

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:15 pm
Dear all --

I apologize for the summary response I'm about to fall back on. But I have no choice. I started drafting individual response to each of you who wrote since I last did. Then I realized that I'm never going to finish it this way. So Let me just start by saying this to you, Butrflynet, Ossobuco, Green Which, Edgar Blythe, chai2, JPB, Merry Andrew, Hamburger, Calamity Jane, dlowan, dyslexia, Roger, Tai Chi, Roberta, Eva, MsOlga, genoves, Walter, Francis, Region Philbis, Dasha, Setanta, Letty, Farmerman, Bi-Polar Bear, Joeblow, joefromchicago, Drew Dad, and goergeob1: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ...

... for your stories, your insights, and all your good wishes! And, of course, the booze in all its glorious manifestations.

Let's continue by topic now

About my immigration status and my eligibility for unemployment benefits:
I have a Green Card, obtained in February 2004. In the process of getting it, I had to sign some kind of waiver, stating that I wouldn't collect benefits from America's social safety net for a certain number of years. There are two important points that I don't remember. First, did that waiver apply only to federal programs or also to state programs? Two, was the number of years five or ten? Getting my documents into an orderly file system is high on my to-do-list. Meanwhile, I'll take Setanta's advice, just apply, and see what happens.

About the psychology of losing the job: I didn't hate all about it: That's why I didn't quit of my own initiative, and why I felt anxious about losing it until I actually lost it. My colleagues were nice, competent, and very supportive. All my supervisors I know, beginning with my immediate boss and all the way up to the head of sales, command my full respect. (Back in Germany, my boss was good, his boss was okay, and that was it.) Although I didn't say "have a nice day", we parted ways very amicably. That's why I'm surprised to feel as happy as I am.

About travel: I haven't thought of FreeDuck's route yet, but there are three routes I particularly want to travel on before I die: Route 1 from the middle of nowhere, Maine, to Key West, Florida; old Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles; and state route 1 / US route 101 up the West Coast. I'm attending a conference in San Diego in the end of March, and I'm seriously considering a drive to Chicago and from there on down Route 66. But I'm not sure if I can make the West Coast route on this occasion. We'll see. And in any event, I hope I get to see Calamity Jane on this occasion.

Farmerman -- the Yuengling brewery, the coal fields, and the TREE sound like a perfect weekend project. Would you like to go to my profile, solve the puzzle, and mail me your phone number so we can talk about the details? And thanks for pointing me to the DOE website. I'll check it out.

ehBeth, thanks for the pointer to the beaches. I'm already a big fan of Sandy Hook, and I'll definitely explore your recommendations.

Oh, and speaking of landscapes -- Shewolf, one of these days I'd like to discuss cameras with you. I recently saw your pictures, including some stunning landscape pictures, in the Albuquerque meetup thread. I'd like to figure out if I can afford the kind of camera it takes to make them.

Thank you all, again, for being here!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:25 pm
Definitely apply for unemployment. We can do it online here in Mass. and I expect the same is true in the Garden State.

And, have fun. I've had plenty of soul-killing jobs. The current one is not soul-killing, just dull. So I can definitely see the advantage to a departure, particularly one with health insurance and cash.

If you're ever itching for reading material, let me know ....

In the meantime, March awaits. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
My ancestor landed in New Jersey in 1676. He was indentured to a London cheese monger (we have a copy of the signed indenture), and the term of his indenture was for two years, after which he received one hundred pounds sterling and 640 acres in Monmouth County. The hundred pounds was a huge sum in those days, the 640 acres, then, not so much. But that combined with the short term (two years) of the indenture, suggested that he was highly placed--he was probably the factor (agent) of the London gentleman in the colonies.

He soon sold the 640 acres. If i had 640 acres of Monmouth County, New Jersey right now, i could be a multi-millionaire overnight. So, Hey . . . you could do a lot worse!
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:37 pm
@Setanta,
Blessed are the cheesemakers , for they shall see Gouda.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:51 pm
So sayeth Ray Romano.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 02:19 pm
Congrats man, I have had jobs that did not hold their promise. It's just not worth it. As far as menial / repetitive copy-pasting etc, couldn't you have run macros or the equivalent?

http://www.wintools.com/
http://www.networkautomation.com/
http://www.tethyssolutions.com/default.htm