I lost my job -- pop the champagne!

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 07:55 pm
@Thomas,
They're listed here...lucky for you she has given her titles in the series all numerical names. They're a hilarious read. Very few books have me literally laughing so hard my eyes water. These do, no matter how many times I reread them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Evanovich

She's written several more series of books, but the Stephanie Plum ones are the highlight of her career so far.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 07:59 pm
@Thomas,
I've been 'canned' only once, at the same time nine other people in the office of eleven were, back in a recession in the early eighties. It was a silly job at a good firm: I was just starting in the landscape architecture profession while still in school, working as a helper for low money, at age 43. It was both trying, in that I'd run labs, hell, started labs, and at that early eighties job I was making coffee for the crew, helping the secretary (still called that then) file.. mixed with taking job site photos and doing presentation drawings fast fast fast.

The job I got next, some time later, was infinitely more rewarding, full of creative fun.

I've had my own business, started businesses with partners, but never one that really tapped whatever spark I've wanted to tap - even the art gallery (no. 2) left my exhibit ideas at rest. I'm remembering my ideas to open a store called italophilia in san francisco. Or a certain kind of travel book store, with it being organized with books on music, art, science, literature, whatever, from a given region, expanding to stores in airports and hotels (Borders actually was interested in a response letter, but then that person wasn't there any more.)

I'm glad you have a chance to chase your spark.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:29 pm
I've always enjoyed my periods of unemployment. Never a regret and it always led to better things. Enjoy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:31 pm
Happy days are here again. Congrats, Thomas.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:32 pm
Oh Thomas, congratulations with no reservations.

You will always find your way.

Relax, sleep late, go to the gym and explore.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:38 pm
@Thomas,
Excellent timing! You'll get to enjoy spring and summer.

Congrats, Thomas. I'm sure it will work out for you.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:43 pm
Congratulations, old boy! I always feel a sense of liberation after getting fired or laid off from a job I wanted to quit anyway but somehow couldn't get the courage up to just go tell the boss to shove it. You might want to fly over to Hawaii at some point this summer. Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:51 pm
@Thomas,
all the best , thomas !
hope you'll get to do a lot of exiting things and see interesting places .
never figured you as a champagne fancier - aren't you likely going to celebrate with a cool beer (or two) or a "henkel trocken" ?
take care !
hbg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dXzAEZujfXo/SL_emicdCKI/AAAAAAAADvU/TFBykLKcIuQ/s400/DSCN3444.JPG

http://www.bottlestore.de/images/henkelltrockensektdrysec1.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 08:53 pm
I am not sure if I should congratulate - I'm German after all. Not having a job
would bring me into hyperventilation.

Well Thomas, now you can take FreeDuck's route and drive across the United States.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:04 pm
@Thomas,
Free at last!!!!

I know it's been torture.

Wishing you great beneficent serendipity for the exact right job to leap upon you, wagging its tail, play-bowing, but not humping your leg.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:26 pm
Eh, Thomas! Good news! Sometimes a push is all you need to stop doing the mundane and start doing what you love. I'm not the least bit worried about you and I've been in the same boat - it's an exciting adventure - make the most of it! And stop in somewhere on your travels and have a beer on me.

Keep us posted, eh?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:29 pm
@Mame,
Thomas I would avoid Mame, she's totally argumentative and never let me a word in edgewise.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:39 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Tai Chi wrote:
Thomas, you really should have read Janet Evanovich before even considering a move to New Jersey! But look on the bright side -- now you have time!

Thanks for enlightening me about my ignorance. Which title shall I start with?

You might also consider the virtues of remaining ignorant.
Thomas

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:02 pm
Wow! Now I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of responses. Thank you all so much for your good wishes! I'll respond to you in more detail tomorrow morning, when I can take more time to write.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Tai Chi wrote:
Thomas, you really should have read Janet Evanovich before even considering a move to New Jersey! But look on the bright side -- now you have time!

Thanks for enlightening me about my ignorance. Which title shall I start with?

You might also consider the virtues of remaining ignorant.

Ah, come on Roger -- don't you ever indulge in a little junk food for the brain?

(Thomas -- start at the beginning of course -- One for the Money)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:32 pm
@Tai Chi,
On the books, yeh, read one, for the flavor of it.
I'm a mad police procedural/mystery person - I think I have read thousands - and tend to avoid Evanovich now, along with books involving dogs, cats, and chefs detecting. But.. I like to check most such writers out.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:49 pm
I knew it was coming, but felt anxious for you. Then I remembered how I felt when I walked out of my office building for the last time after having been dumped. TOTAL FREEDOM. EUPHORIA.

Enjoy. Find what excites and stimulates you. ENJOY YOURSELF.

Be happy. You deserve it.

Fie, feh, and phooey on the lousy and unhappy-making job. Rejoice.

I salute you. A toast, kiddo, to you.

http://d.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/ng/sp/empics/20080613/09/2347270462-horse-racing-2008-derby-festival-ladies-day-epsom-downs-racecourse.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 11:15 pm
@Roberta,
So agree with Roberta.

I do remember a job that I cried when I left. During my last two high school years and all my college years (seven, total) I worked at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica - I took minifilm xrays (uh, at sixteen), did a med records survey for a med student researching about those xrays - part of their stopping being done, worked as a cashier on weekends (had money thrown at me), did a lot of admitting, was a reservations clerk (assigned beds, a big deal for Sundays), and I'm probably forgetting something. Anyway, when I left after uni, I walked out the front door and wept going down the stairs.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 11:42 pm
I know the feeling well, Thomas. I'm sitting here grinning, just thinking about it.

I'm so glad you're no longer locked into a bad situation. I have no doubt you will find something else to do that you'll enjoy more. I expect you will land on your feet, just like a cat.

Meanwhile, have fun exploring!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 01:28 am
@Thomas,
Good luck to you, Thomas!
You are a person of my own heart.

If a job is soul destroying, then leave that job before it destroys your soul, I say!
Luckily, your employers made this hard decision for you, saving you the angst.

I share your happiness at being set free!
Later (like me, when I chose to make a similar decision) you may have to face the perhaps hard economic realities.
Life may well be harder for you, financially. But hey, your soul is still intact! What a stroke of luck!Very Happy
0 Replies