What does the phrase "town air makes a man sic (or free)" mean?

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 03:54 pm
I am studying for a political history quiz tomorrow at my university and I just don't understand what the saying means. I've read the power point provided, researched it, and I still just can't find anything that makes it understandable.

Could you please help me?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,915 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 04:17 pm
As a Journalism student of course you know how to use Google and Ask.com, correct?

When I typed the phrase "town air makes a man free" into a search engine, I got the following hit:

http://knowledge4africa.com/worldhistory/middle-ages08.htm

Medieval Europe
Evolution of Society and Class
Jean Miles
Rhodes University
Updated: 21 June 2006

The reference is almost half-way down that page:

"The town dwellers were drawn mainly from the wealthier peasantry but also included vagabonds, runaway serfs and ambitious younger offspring of the lesser nobility, and the surplus of a growing population. A serf who entered a free town and resided in it for a year and a day was automatically regarded as free. The townsman was a new man with a different value system from that of the lord, the serf, or the clergyman. Davis identified a terminology of the time: "Stadtluft macht frei", that is, town-air makes a man free."

Mohawk Journalism

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:35 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you very much for your help, what you've provided actually makes sense to me.

As for using other resources such as Ask.com or Google, I just happened to use this one for research purposes. I am aware of those search engines, but I am also aware of A2K, which is what I decided to choose instead. There are several engines and ask forums out there, I just happened to have chosen this one.

Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just responding to your question.

But again, thank you very much for your time.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 05:56 pm
Do you have a context to it, or at least what document it came from?
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2009 07:14 pm
@Mohawk Journalism,
What does the phrase "town air makes a man sic (or free)" mean

It means that someone has transposed or misinterpreted the word 'sic' meaning as it is written or written intentionally ie. quoting someone
0 Replies