U.S. Taxpayers Risk $9.7 Trillion on Bailouts as Senate Votes

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 02:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Laughing

How naive you must be to think Govt had no role in this mess.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 03:50 pm
Jesus Christ, Cyclop...don't you realize "the guvmint" is at fault in everything. The onlyist thing "the guvmint" should do is to lower taxes.

Oh,wait a minute. You've got a brain, Cyclop. I was thinking you were a conservative for a second.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:21 pm
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Laughing

How naive you must be to think Govt had no role in this mess.

The government forced nobody to purchase these mortgage-backed securities, leveraged to the hilt, Woiyo. Perhaps you can show where they did?

This is the cause of our crisis, not some bullshit about ACORN or whatever the right-wing is spewing. Corporations who had no business in the Mortgage market were heavily invested in it, all in the name of quick profits. How is that the fault of the government?

Cycloptichorn
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:28 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Community re-investment act provided the Govt the strong arm tactics to in a way force lenders to giving out bad mortgages.

Fannie and Freddie are supposed to have Govt oversight and there was none.

Govt has to take part of the responsibility in creating this mess.

Stop being naive.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:31 am
@Woiyo9,
Woiyo9 wrote:

Community re-investment act provided the Govt the strong arm tactics to in a way force lenders to giving out bad mortgages.

Fannie and Freddie are supposed to have Govt oversight and there was none.

Govt has to take part of the responsibility in creating this mess.

Stop being naive.

Bull. If this were the case, we would have been seeing mortgages going sour at a pretty high rate for a decade now. That hasn't been the case.

Explain to me how what you described caused companies to purchase mortgages as securities. Something that they had never done before.

You don't understand the problem at all, do you?

Cycloptichorn
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I understand the cause and effects of Govt programs and how it effected the so called mortgage crisis.

You are in denial.

So long as you state the Govt played no role in the so called crisis, there is no hope for you.
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:00 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Putting the blame on bundled mortgage securities ignores what ultimately made those bundles a problem.

Barney Frank pushed for an easing in underwriting standards to create more "affordable housing" as he stated in his September 2003 statement:

Quote:
The high cost of housing is one of the great social bombs of this country. I would rank it second to the inadequacy of our health delivery system as a problem that afflicts many, many Americans. We have gotten recent reports about the difficulty here.

and he continues...

Quote:
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have played a very useful role in helping make housing more affordable, both in general through leveraging the mortgage market, and in particular, they have a mission that this Congress has given them in return for some of the arrangements which are of some benefit to them to focus on affordable housing, and that is what I am concerned about here. I believe that we, as the Federal Government, have probably done too little rather than too much to push them to meet the goals of affordable housing and to set reasonable goals. I worry frankly that there is a tension here.

As these new mortgages from government encouraged easing were underwritten, they were bundled into mortgage pool investments just like all mortgages are done. this bundling provides liquidity to the banks to provide additional mortgages.

Naturally, these lowered standard loans began to default within these mortgage bundles in ever increasing numbers.

This did not require a decade to occur...only 4 years...2003 - 2007

So, was it the banks or was it Barney Frank's committee muscle that forced the lowering of standards for more "affordable housing"?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:11 am
@BigTexN,
Woah there Tex.

Quote:

As these new mortgages from government encouraged easing were underwritten, they were bundled into mortgage pool investments just like all mortgages are done. this bundling provides liquidity to the banks to provide additional mortgages.

'just like all mortgages are done?' You should think much more carefully about that line. Because this sure didn't used to be the case. What you are describing - the collateralization of debt - is not only a new thing (since 1999) it is the primary cause of our current crisis, and the reason banks and investment houses have crashed along with the housing market.

Quote:

Naturally, these lowered standard loans began to default within these mortgage bundles in ever increasing numbers.

Naturally? You make these blanket statements, but do you have any proof to back them up?

The truth is that the mortgage problem is not a problem of the poor but of all classes of society. As many foreclosures have happened on expensive houses as ones purchased by the poor...

You guys just don't seem to understand that the boom/bust cycle in housing is natural; but only this time has it infected our financial system. Why? What's the difference between now and other housing cycles?

Cycloptichorn
BigTexN

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:34 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
'just like all mortgages are done?' You should think much more carefully about that line. Because this sure didn't used to be the case. What you are describing - the collateralization of debt - is not only a new thing (since 1999) it is the primary cause of our current crisis, and the reason banks and investment houses have crashed along with the housing market.

You're right that the bundling of loans is a relatively new occurence...but why was it done to begin with?

The answer is because banks were hestitant to loan large dollar amounts to people they saw as risky. Refusing these loans was politically twisted by the Democrats into "Restricting access to higher education" and "Not providing more affordable housing"

So congress established Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, Sallie Mae etal to provide a clearing house for these loans. These clearing houses would encourage more loans to lower income people by being a buyer to take these loans off the books of the banks.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, Sallie Mae etal provided the liquidity mechanism for these loans to be made.

Quote:
Naturally? You make these blanket statements, but do you have any proof to back them up?

You don't think that the default rate would "naturally" climb by making more loans to higher risk parties? Why would they be referred to as "high risk" then?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:41 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:

You're right that the bundling of loans is a relatively new occurence...but why was it done to begin with?

The answer is because banks were hestitant to loan large dollar amounts to people they saw as risky. Refusing these loans was politically twisted by the Democrats into "Restricting access to higher education" and "Not providing more affordable housing"

So congress established Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, Sallie Mae etal to provide a clearing house for these loans. These clearing houses would encourage more loans to lower income people by being a buyer to take these loans off the books of the banks.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Ginnie Mae, Sallie Mae etal provided the liquidity mechanism for these loans to be made.

This is 100% false. Fannie and Freddie existed long before the 1999 changes to the Glass-Steagal act, allowing the collateralization of mortgage debts as securities.

Bundling of loans has nothing at all to do with what you describe. Nothing. Fannie and Freddie were established in 1968-70. Bundling of these loans as securities was established in 1999.

You are displaying your ignorance of this subject in your attempts to pin the situation on the Democrats.

Quote:
Quote:

You don't think that the default rate would "naturally" climb by making more loans to higher risk parties? Why would they be referred to as "high risk" then?

B/c many of the 'high risk' parties were quite rich and buying second mortgages. Yes, the default rate will climb; but it isn't b/c of poor folks who can't afford their houses. Otherwise it's likely we would have seen a pretty steady rate of foreclosure since the mid-90's when the Clinton admin tried to get more folks in houses. We have not seen that to be the case. Instead, they have risen precipitously in the last 4 years following the home price plunge and the explosion of ARMs, which trapped as many middle and upper-class families as it did poor.

Cycloptichorn
BigTexN

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 10:53 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Fannie and Freddie existed long before the 1999 changes to the Glass-Steagal act, allowing the collateralization of mortgage debts as securities.

Like all government programs, these agencies were started small with well intended plans and then, like most government programs, were bent and twisted by Congress into a monster they were never meant to be.

Quote:
You are displaying your ignorance of this subject in your attempts to pin the situation on the Democrats.

And you display your naivete'

Quote:
B/c many of the 'high risk' parties were quite rich and buying second mortgages.

High risk is just that high risk...whether its over-extending to the rich or extending credit at all to the poor.

You would think from your statement that the 90210 zip code is foreclosure central. In reality (oops there's that word you hate so much) its to poorest parts of Detroit that are filled with abandoned homes.

A liberal Congress would show no interest in rescuing busted millionaires from their mansions, so your "rich" argument falls flat on its merits.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:04 am
@BigTexN,
You are going back on what you said in an attempt to salvage some sort of argument.

You said -

Quote:

This is 100% false. Fannie and Freddie were not created in response to the problem of providing housing to the disadvantaged. And the 'bundling' that was allowed had nothing at all to do with access to home mortgages for the poor. Instead, it was all about 'innovative investment vehicles' and ways to make money on paper using extreme leveraging of money.

Perhaps you should check the foreclosure rate in the richest areas of CA before spouting off about Detroit.

Cycloptichorn
BigTexN

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Prior to these agencies being established, banks carried these loans on their books.

Because the loans were on their balance sheets, they only made credit available to the lowest possible risks...rarely to the poor.

Congress established the agencies to give banks a place to sell these loans...creating a market for the banks to clear through and later, via congressional encouragement, more loans to higher risks.

FNMA, GNMA etal then would bundle these loans into security "pools" and resell them to the open market to raise capital that they would then turn around to buy additional loans from the banks. These pools had what was referred to as "Implied Government Backing" and therefore received a AAA rating in the market.

The open market allows for the borrowing(leverage) against existing assets(Margin)...with the highest "available to borrow" amount comes against AAA-rated assets.

Quote:
Perhaps you should check the foreclosure rate in the richest areas of CA before spouting off about Detroit.

I didn't realize that the dems were such aggressive advocates for the "rich".

If, by your statement, the rich in California have higher foreclosure rates than the poor in Detroit, then the democrats advocacy for a foreclosure bailout would become a "bailout for the rich" and that would put them more like Republicans than I think liberals would be comfortable with!
georgeob1

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is 100% false. Fannie and Freddie were not created in response to the problem of providing housing to the disadvantaged. And the 'bundling' that was allowed had nothing at all to do with access to home mortgages for the poor. Instead, it was all about 'innovative investment vehicles' and ways to make money on paper using extreme leveraging of money.

Cycloptichorn

Oh really????

What then do you suppose was the reason for their creation??
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:43 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:

I didn't realize that the dems were such aggressive advocates for the "rich".

If, by your statement, the rich in California have higher foreclosure rates than the poor in Detroit, then the democrats advocacy for a foreclosure bailout would become a "bailout for the rich" and that would put them more like Republicans than I think liberals would be comfortable with!

I don't disagree with you. I'm not personally advocating for a bailout of those in foreclosure, rich or poor.

Nevertheless, you're kidding yourself if you think the problem resides with the poor; in fact, the total dollar values of the foreclosures in rich areas probably dwarf that of Detroit, which was a shithole to begin with.

--

I know how Fannie and Freddie work, thanks. But that has nothing to do with our current crisis, CDO's, and the Credit-Default Swap market. You are blaming the wrong part of the system in an attempt to pin it on the Dems somehow.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:45 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Oh really????

What then do you suppose was the reason for their creation??

Sorry, I worded that badly. That is why the FMHA was created; but back in the Depression, not in our current round of Dems trying to help out the disadvantaged homeowners in the 1990s.

Fannie and Freddie's creation have nothing to do with the bundling of securities which has led to our current crisis. This is the point I was trying to make, though I see that I butchered it above.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:17 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Perhaps not, but the very large scale bundling of securities introduced into Fannie Mae by its former president (and ex Clinton political hack & appointee) Franklin Raines - with the active encouragement of Barney Frank & Maxine Waters was indeed one of the largest contributors to the crisis we have experienced. It is certainly true that Wall Street traders actively did their part in expanding this market; and that the commercial banks, motivated in part by misguided laws that directed loan activity to favored minorities, also joined in. However you can't simply write all this off to the excesses of capitalism. Ill-conceived, politically motivated government policy also played a major part in it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 11:46 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Perhaps not, but the very large scale bundling of securities introduced into Fannie Mae by its former president (and ex Clinton political hack & appointee) Franklin Raines - with the active encouragement of Barney Frank & Maxine Waters was indeed one of the largest contributors to the crisis we have experienced. It is certainly true that Wall Street traders actively did their part in expanding this market; and that the commercial banks, motivated in part by misguided laws that directed loan activity to favored minorities, also joined in. However you can't simply write all this off to the excesses of capitalism. Ill-conceived, politically motivated government policy also played a major part in it.

Yes, some poor decisions certainly set the stage for the crisis. But I can't see a clear way to avoid blaming those who were directly tasked with managing their client's investments for failing to do so in a responsible fashion.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:05 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yes, some poor decisions certainly set the stage for the crisis. But I can't see a clear way to avoid blaming those who were directly tasked with managing their client's investments for failing to do so in a responsible fashion.

Cycloptichorn

Well I think they all probably thought that they were doing a good job representing clients & shareholders - believing, as they did that the party would continue. That is the nature of bubbles - their eventual collapse is evident only in retrospect. The ethics & morality of the house flipper or the new homeowner who walked away from the mortgages they duly promised to repay is no different from that of the bankers who approved their loans. Both were eagerly encouraged by Fannie Mae and the Congress - both Republican and Democrats (but none more aggressively than the Democrats).

I'm all for letting the banks fail and allowing their shareholders to lose everything. The problem is that doing so would collapse the money supply and freeze our economy, injuring others in the process.

I firmly believe that a solution analogous to the one we applied with the Savings & Loan collapse of two decades ago ( allowing the worst S & Ls to fail while relieving the others through the Government operated Resolution Trust Corporation that held and - ultimately profitably - disposed of the 'toxic' loans) would be far better than the so-called "stimulus" plan we have today. Unfortunately the Democrats found the temptation of enacting their social program under the deceptive guise of a "stimulus" package too tempting to resist. We will pay for it with slow growth and eventual high inflation for the next twenty or so years.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:10 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Well I think they all probably thought that they were doing a good job representing clients & shareholders - believing, as they did that the party would continue. That is the nature of bubbles - their eventual collapse is evident only in retrospect. The ethics & morality of the house flipper or the new homeowner who walked away from the mortgages they duly promised to repay is no different from that of the bankers who approved their loans. Both were eagerly encouraged by Fannie Mae and the Congress - both Republican and Democrats (but none more aggressively than the Democrats).

I'm all for letting the banks fail and allowing their shareholders to lose everything. The problem is that doing so would collapse the money supply and freeze our economy, injuring others in the process.

I firmly believe that a solution analogous to the one we applied with the Savings & Loan collapse of two decades ago ( allowing the worst S & Ls to fail while relieving the others through the Government operated Resolution Trust Corporation that held and - ultimately profitably - disposed of the 'toxic' loans) would be far better than the so-called "stimulus" plan we have today. Unfortunately the Democrats found the temptation of enacting their social program under the deceptive guise of a "stimulus" package too tempting to resist. We will pay for it with slow growth and eventual high inflation for the next twenty or so years.

You are conflating two different issues. The 'stimulus' is not intended to clean up the mess of the banking system at all.

I agree with you that a RTC-style operation is the way to go; but this will mean nationalization of the major banks. None of them are solvent. If we follow the Swedish model maybe we can do this and spin them back into private hands within a decade or so.

Cycloptichorn