Would it have been possible for Jesus to have sinned?

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:08 pm
@tycoon,
According to you, perhaps. Not according to the bible.
tycoon

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:19 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

According to you, perhaps. Not according to the bible.

Please supply the appropriate verses which support your view that wrath is not a sin.

I have done as much to support my position. You're not following the discussion if you think what I'm documenting is "according to" me.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:56 pm
@tycoon,
The wrath of God appears in the Old Testament as a divine response to human sin and injustice. When the Israelites complained to God at Taberah, "the anger of the Lord blazed hotly" (Num. 11:10 RSV). Later, God reminded the people of various such experiences and warned, "Remember and do not forget how you provoked the Lord your God to wrath in the wilderness." (Deut. 9:7 NRSV)

God’s just wrath against sin has been placed on His Son Jesus so that all who believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God (John 3:16-18)
neologist

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 07:15 pm
@tycoon,
Jesus' response was clearly one of righteous indignation.

As to why I asked the question in the first place, I think Intrepid and Spendi would agree I was trying to goad them into a trinitarian argument.

Interesting what happens when you shake a tree, though
Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
@neologist,
Yup, the coconuts fall out Razz Laughing
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
Well, it appears that neo and Intrepid are showing signs of skepticism of my analysis of whether Jesus has sinned, despite my using the Bible to prove the points. But that's good! I like skeptical people, who don't fall for every thing they are told. Everybody needs a healthy dose of skepticism or else they'll fall for the silliest, most absurd things.

It looks like I'm going to have to try harder.

And indeed, I have the smoking gun! Yes, that's right kids, when I lay out my latest evidence (along with the facts already presented) that Jesus has indeed sinned, you will finally be convinced that the answer to the OP is a resounding yes!

I have to research this a bit before posting but, along with all my other daily duties and distractions, I will try to lay out the case as quickly and efficiently as possible, so that we can resolve this question once and for all.

Thank you for your patience.
neologist

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:04 pm
@tycoon,
Be still, my heart.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 02:26 pm
From Luke 19:29-36--

"29As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, 30"Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 31If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it.' "

32Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. 33As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"

34They replied, "The Lord needs it."

35They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. 36As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road".

Oh. My. Gosh.

Yes, you read it right. Jesus just stole a horse.

There is only one conclusion an honest reader can reach: The 8th commandment prohibits stealing. Breaking a commandment is a sin. Jesus stole a horse. Therefore, Jesus is guilty of committing a sin.
tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 02:31 pm
You know, about this time God must have had a talk with Jesus:

"Son, listen...I know every father can expect problems from their teenaged son, but Christ, you're 33 years old. You just stole a damned horse! I think you're hanging with the wrong crowd if you ask me. None of those guys even have a job. And the way you've been sassing your mother...we've got to do something about that temper of yours."

neologist

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:50 pm
@tycoon,
I thought myopia was an eye condition. . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:51 pm
@tycoon,
You're just putting us on, right?
tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 04:59 pm
No. Bring something to the table here please.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:00 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

The wrath of God appears in the Old Testament as a divine response to human sin and injustice. When the Israelites complained to God at Taberah, "the anger of the Lord blazed hotly" (Num. 11:10 RSV). Later, God reminded the people of various such experiences and warned, "Remember and do not forget how you provoked the Lord your God to wrath in the wilderness." (Deut. 9:7 NRSV)

God’s just wrath against sin has been placed on His Son Jesus so that all who believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God (John 3:16-18)

This isn't an answer, it's a sermon.
tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:00 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Jesus' response was clearly one of righteous indignation.

As to why I asked the question in the first place, I think Intrepid and Spendi would agree I was trying to goad them into a trinitarian argument.

Interesting what happens when you shake a tree, though

If you need some help writing thread titles, let me know.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:05 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:

From Luke 19:29-36--

"29As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, 30"Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 31If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' tell him, 'The Lord needs it.' "

32Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. 33As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"

34They replied, "The Lord needs it."

35They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. 36As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road".

Oh. My. Gosh.

Yes, you read it right. Jesus just stole a horse.

There is only one conclusion an honest reader can reach: The 8th commandment prohibits stealing. Breaking a commandment is a sin. Jesus stole a horse. Therefore, Jesus is guilty of committing a sin.

You are kidding, right? Stole????? You even wrote where they told the owner why they were taking it and he allowed them to do so.

You've gotta do a lot better than this.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:06 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You're just putting us on, right?

He must be. It's kinda scary if he is serious.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:08 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

This isn't an answer, it's a sermon.

Perhaps your superior analytical abilities will allow you to do better than that. Exactly what is it that you disagree with. If you want a sermon, I can provide you with it if you allow me about an hour of your undivided attention.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 05:47 pm
Intrepid, please bring something to the table.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:05 pm
@tycoon,
I have. What is it that you don't understand? You have proven nothing and continue to ask for more from those who have refuted your statements and you cannot provide anything substantial to counter them.
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:17 pm
Please point me to the refutation. I missed it.