A burst appendix can ruin your day

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:23 pm
I just got out of the hospital for a burst appendix. A few random thoughts.

The appendicitis could have been caught sooner, but the original pain was mistaken as part of an another illness that I have been dealing with. I guess Doctors sometimes forget that we are allowed to have as many diseases at the same time as we want.

Once I showed up in the emergency room, in excruciating pain, they figured out what had happened pretty quick... they told me they were assembling a surgical team before I had left the X-ray room. They must of had me in surgery in less then two hours.

A young woman who I am sure is carded stepped up to me and said, I am Dr. Marcos, I will be the head surgeon. We assembled in the OR and waited for the anesthesiologist (the last to arrive) who, as the oldest person their besides me, couldn't have been more than 30. The main affect of this was to make me feel old.

Hospital stays are not good for one's dignity. Procedures are done professionally, but the fact that they are humiliating and invasive are glossed over... almost as if the fact that I am now a "patient" means these things don't matter.

It is good to be able to recover at home.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 6,736 • Replies: 24
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
@ebrown p,
OUCH!!!!

Sorry, ebrown. I hope you feel better soon.

Here -- I brought you some ice cream.

http://www.icecreampark.com/images/Flavour%20ice%20cream%202.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:28 pm
Blimey!

Hope you feel good soon
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:29 pm
@ebrown p,
absolutely!!~!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:30 pm
That's rough, ebrown. Glad to see you are already on the road to recovery.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:37 pm
Quote:
A burst appendix can ruin your day

It certainly can - it can also take your life if sepsis sets in and takes over- so I'm glad you made it okay.

I know what you mean about being treated as a 'patient' instead of a human with dignity. I've only been in the hospital with relation to my pregnancy and especially during the delivery I felt like a piece of meat to which procedures were being done .
I had one woman (a nurse) pushing on my belly from the outside - laying her body on top of mine and HURTING me even more than what was happening inside. Finally I just said - GET OFF OF ME- you're HURTING ME.
She didn't stop.
When my son was finally delivered and they started in on getting the placenta out I said, 'PLEASE- just give me two minutes. Please- just don't touch me for two minutes...PLEASE?!
They didn't stop.
(In all fairness they couldn't - they had to get the baby and placenta delivered).
The nurse afterward was awesome though. She was so soothing - she rubbed my back with lotion and I'd think - how does she have time to do this - does she do this for every patient?
Anyway - I know what you mean. I hated that vulnerable, out of control, and invisible, almost as if you as a person has disappeared feeling.

I'm glad you're safely healing.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 07:44 pm
@ebrown p,
Close call, brother!
Get well soon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:26 pm
Wow, ebrown. I'm very glad they caught it and fixed it promptly. Get better soon!

Following up the ice cream with some chocolates..
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/1250/10566749.JPG
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:29 pm
Egads! Glad you're home and feeling better. Appendix problems seem to be going around! 2 7th graders have been out for the surgery this year and a third is being watched....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:44 pm
@ebrown p,
Scary stuff. My husband went through this, almost... it was close to bursting but they caught it just in time (emergency appendectomy). It was rough for him overall, not just the hospital stay but the emotional wallop of something so serious happening out of nowhere.

Take care.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:57 pm
Ooh, I remember how appendicitis felt, and they removed mine before it ruptured. I'm so sorry...you must've been in a great deal of pain. Here's what I wanted more than anything after my surgery. Hope it makes you feel a little better, too. (I put a nice, soft silk pillowcase on it just for you.)
http://britishheartfoundation.sandbag.uk.com/Content/878.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:58 pm
Yipes me man, glad to hear you'll be A-OK!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:01 pm
Good to know you are home and mending.

Forwarning so we could fret over you while you still couldn't respond would have been nice. Next time you need to have a designated temp-A2Ker. (She says in her Mommy voice)

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/gmonie97/GetWellTeddyBearBalloon.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 09:09 pm
Whew! I'm glad you're all right.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 05:06 am
@ebrown p,
Holy ****!. Ruin the rest of all your weekends too. Now, perhaps you will become a pychosomatic like me. Every pain I get is separate and distinct from every other and each one is ultimately fatal.
Man, seeing that they pulled you through as a seemingly routine afternoons work, impresses the hell out of me . Septicemea had a usual prognosis of "fatal" when I was a kid.

I would imagine that you will have a rather lengthy convalescence , so sit there, enjoy reading some stuff that youve meant to get to, and enjoy the turning of the seasons.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 07:58 am
@ebrown p,
Oh no ............... nasty! Shocked

PHEW that you are alright - take good care - wishing you a very speedy recovery and very pleased you are home.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 08:38 am
https://www.beaumonthospitals.com/files/health-library/images/em_0132.gif

One less thingy to worry about inside ya.

BBB
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 09:04 am
Glad to hear you're home and recovering!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 09:41 am
Yikes,

what a painful thing to have happen.

And yes... being the 'patient' between a buncha 20 somethings is...

well

i dont have a word for it. But I do understand. completely.
My emergency C section had me laying completely naked on a table in a wide open room ( no blanket , no gown! ) with pimple covered boys and more foot traffic than grand central station . the only person over 35/ish was the doctor.. thank goodness.. But even she didnt think twice about the crying naked woman in the middle of the room .

recover.
take it easy.
No games of hop on pop.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 10:11 am
Thanks all for the wishes, ice cream and balloons.

Farmerman lol... I tend to minimize illness... I will wait until it is really clear that whatever problem is not going away on its own, until I limp into the hospital. I drive my wife crazy.

Funny enough, we were laughing about this the other day. The way my wife knew that there was something seriously wrong with me when this started is that when I got back from work, I went to bed rather than logging on to A2K.

BBB lol.. but I think I want to hold on to the rest of my parts.

Thank you all... It is very nice to have A2K around again.