officiating crew

fansy

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 04:02 am
Quote:
To err is human, and by that score, the Cup’s officiating crew have been made of all too solid flesh.

I'm not a fan for football, naturally I don't know most of the football jargons used in sports news.

So someone explains it to me. Thanks in advance

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 631 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 06:19 am
@fansy,
The officiating crew are the people who observe the players and the play of the game on the field, to make sure that the rules are followed. You don't tell us what sport is being played, what Cup is being played for, so it would be hard to say just what titles the officials have.

In association football (which is what most people in the world refer to as football), there is a Referee, and two Assistant Referees (called Linesmen in the past, and still called Linesmen in some English speaking countries), and sometimes a fourth or a fifth Assistant Referee.

If it were American football, you'd have a Referee, an Umpire, a Head Linesman, a Line Judge, Field Judge, Side Judge and Back Judge.

Other sports will have other titles for their officials.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 01:55 pm
@fansy,
Quote:
To err is human, and by that score, the Cup’s officiating crew have been made of all too solid flesh.

I think, Set, though I may be wrong, that Fansy wants to know the meaning of the sentence.

It means that the officials really messed up in their duties of officiating.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 04:46 pm
@fansy,
I would suggest if you are learning English, you stay well away from sports journalism.
0 Replies