Impact of Oinkbama salary caps on NY City...

BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
By the way...it truly would not bother me if some sort of cap on wages of everyone were imposed...although I think it should be imposed via income tax rates.

If you earn a billion dollars...Uncle Sam...the American people...get half of it off the top.

Wouldn't bother me a bit.

That's because you don't (and won't ever) earn a billion dollars.
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:52 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I also disagree with your premise that maximum, unlimited income potential = liberty. I do not think this is true whatsoever. Instead, what you describe is Avarice and Greed.

No one should be told by a government dictator's edict what their income will be limited to.

That defies the very definition of "Liberty".
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:53 am
@BigTexN,
Yup...and your kind would say...if you can earn a gazillion...you should be able to earn it and keep it.

There are always the pathetic conservatives preaching that the King is the King...and can do no wrong.

I stand by what I said.

BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Yup...and your kind would say...if you can earn a gazillion...you should be able to earn it and keep it.

If I earn a gazillion, I should be able to keep it.

Then I can determine what charitable causes to support with that gazillion dollars...as oppose to the government disseminating my funds to the warped special interests of those in power.

I will say that liberals believe that King Obama is the King...and can do no wrong...and that is truly pathetic.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:03 pm
@BigTexN,
Yeah, sure.

Conservatives are pawns of people who wouldn't piss on most of them if they were on fire.

But you continue to defend their rights to own more and more of the total package, Tex. There is a certain humor in watching someone steady the hand of another trying to cut his throat.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:
I also disagree with your premise that maximum, unlimited income potential = liberty. I do not think this is true whatsoever. Instead, what you describe is Avarice and Greed.

No one should be told by a government dictator's edict what their income will be limited to.

That defies the very definition of "Liberty".

Well, our government isn't a dictatorship, so what are you going on about?

Cycloptichorn
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Conservatives are pawns of people who wouldn't piss on most of them if they were on fire.

Then you sir have a twisted view and experience of conservatives.

I am very charitable with my assets, as are the conservatives around me....this contrasts dramatically with yourself who sees no problem with forcefully taking funds from people to redistribute only to those you feel are important enough to warrant your own personal benevolence.

Sounds a bit "High and Mighty"ish to me....

BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

Oh, maybe I misunderstood...did I miss a vote (congressional or otherwise) that made allowances to cap a person's income?

Or did that edict come down from some arrogant, drunk on his own power government leader?
georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is Bullshit, George.

You are forgetting that these companies are supposedly coming begging for public monies.

It's not a question of 'blame,' - though you are incorrect and the CEOs and investment bankers are primarily at fault. They made the decision to invest in what they knew were risky securities. It doesn't matter what the Government did. The CEOs bear a personal responsibility to make strong decisions regardless of the climate they operate in. They chose bad investments and their banks crashed b/c of it. There literally is nobody more to blame for their losses than themselves. What kind of Conservative are you, anyway? The non-personal responsibility kind?

Anyway, it's a question of 'what will the public pay for.' We will not pay for multi-million dollar salaries for failed banks and executives. Now, you may disagree with that, but public sentiment is decidedly against you and as it is our money being spent...

Attempting to blame the housing cycle (natural) for the poor investment choices of these CEOs is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn

This is a rather confused though typically intemperate response.

Are you arguing that the "housing cycle(natural) " that was one of the triggers for the current economic contraction was entirely natural and therefore unpreventable?

Are you suggesting that Congressional legislation that mandated loans to previously unqualified individuals and that required banks to report compliance and penalized them for failures to meet mandated quotas had nothing to do with the corrosion of mortgage underwriting standards? Economic history is filled with stories of the bad results of unwise and foolish government actions, and this is one of them. It really does matter what government does in such cases.

Are you arguing that the mass securitization of mortgage based securities initiated by Fannie Mae, expressly to attract more capital to an already overheated housing market, actions that were loudly encouraged by folks like Barney Frank and Maxine Waters, had nothing to do with the problem?

There is no doubt that we have seen the collapse of an economic bubble (hardly a "natural cycle") ; that such bubbles have happened before and are an infrequent but apparently hard-to-avoid feature of capitalism. Nonetheless all of them had causes and all could have been either prevented or mitigated by wiser actions beforehand. The credulous greed of the banks, the securities industry and their insurers all fed the illusion that the party could continue. Exactly the same is true of individuals who refinanced their homes to cash in on accumulated equity and bet on continued appreciation of their values; etc. However these were not the only cause.

Public sentiment on this and related issues is rather divided, and, frankly speaking, you don't speak for the public, though it often appears that you entertain the rather curious illusion that you do.

Would you be willing to allow votes on just what to do with "our" tax money to be cast in proportion to the amount of that tax actually paid?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:26 pm
@BigTexN,
You quoted me saying:

Quote:

And then you wrote:
Quote:
Then you sir have a twisted view and experience of conservatives.

Nope...I don't think so. But I understand you do not want to acknowledge that you are being used. No problem!

Quote:
I am very charitable with my assets, as are the conservatives around me....

What does this have to do with being pawns of people who would not piss on you if you were on fire?

Quote:
...this contrasts dramatically with yourself who sees no problem with forcefully taking funds from people to redistribute only to those you feel are important enough to warrant your own personal benevolence.

Wow...that's quite a stretch. So...you have problems with government safety nets.

Tough!

Quote:
Sounds a bit "High and Mighty"ish to me....

Well, to be honest, Tex...you sound a bit high to me also.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:27 pm
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:

Oh, maybe I misunderstood...did I miss a vote (congressional or otherwise) that made allowances to cap a person's income?

It hasn't happened yet, but it is about to. Sen. McCaskill has added some pretty tough Exec pay compensation restrictions to the bill and they were passed last night on a unanimous voice vote. Meaning that all your Republican senators approved of this move.

Quote:
Or did that edict come down from some arrogant, drunk on his own power government leader?

No, Bush is out of office.

Can you please try a little harder? This childish dreck is hardly worth responding to. I had high hopes that you would be one of the more intelligent right-wing posters here, but you quickly seem to have slid into useless name-calling and ideological purity arguments which do not apply to the real world we face today...

Cycloptichorn
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
No, Bush is out of office.

Ahhh, a quote all libs would do well to burn into their minds...how quickly they forget.

The worthless Mr Bush is no longer in office to point the finger at...we have Mr. Obama to point at now!

Quote:
...but you quickly seem to have slid into useless name-calling and ideological purity arguments which do not apply to the real world we face today...

This statement speaks more to you than I...useless name-calling...idealogical purity arguments...ideas that do not apply to the real world we face today...

Check...check...annnd check! Wink

0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:47 pm
@rosborne979,
So this whole salary cap really is pointless huh?

This is ******* the government making some rule that will have no impact whatsoever just to placate the masses.

Why do we keep falling for this **** from our government.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:49 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:

I don't think it is pointless at all...and neither does Rosborne, from what I read.

The people want to know that their tax money is not being spent to make rich people richer.

What the hell is wrong with that as a goal?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:49 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

This is Bullshit, George.

You are forgetting that these companies are supposedly coming begging for public monies.

It's not a question of 'blame,' - though you are incorrect and the CEOs and investment bankers are primarily at fault. They made the decision to invest in what they knew were risky securities. It doesn't matter what the Government did. The CEOs bear a personal responsibility to make strong decisions regardless of the climate they operate in. They chose bad investments and their banks crashed b/c of it. There literally is nobody more to blame for their losses than themselves. What kind of Conservative are you, anyway? The non-personal responsibility kind?

Anyway, it's a question of 'what will the public pay for.' We will not pay for multi-million dollar salaries for failed banks and executives. Now, you may disagree with that, but public sentiment is decidedly against you and as it is our money being spent...

Attempting to blame the housing cycle (natural) for the poor investment choices of these CEOs is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn

This is a rather confused though typically intemperate response.

Are you arguing that the "housing cycle(natural) " that was one of the triggers for the current economic contraction was entirely natural and therefore unpreventable?

Yes, the housing cycle of boom/bust is natural and unpreventable. This is hardly some sort of revolutionary thought on my part.

It is true that people of various levels took action to make this cycle worse than in the past, but that's immaterial to the fact that the leaders of these businesses are paid lots of money to be able to accurately chart and navigate the business environment that they find themselves in, regardless of the conditions.

It's like the captain of a ship blaming a storm for his bad decisions. I think we both know that this isn't a good excuse. The captain bears responsibility for his decisions no matter what.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that Congressional legislation that mandated loans to previously unqualified individuals and that required banks to report compliance and penalized them for failures to meet mandated quotas had nothing to do with the corrosion of mortgage underwriting standards? Economic history is filled with stories of the bad results of unwise and foolish government actions, and this is one of them. It really does matter what government does in such cases.

Are you presuming that the cause of this crisis lies primarily with poor folks who couldn't afford their mortgages? I'm not sure the facts bear that out at all. In fact, many very high-value mortgages have gone under, from people who would have passed applications previous to any Congressional Legislation.

Quote:
Are you arguing that the mass securitization of mortgage based securities initiated by Fannie Mae, expressly to attract more capital to an already overheated housing market, actions that were loudly encouraged by folks like Barney Frank and Maxine Waters, had nothing to do with the problem?

There is no doubt that we have seen the collapse of an economic bubble (hardly a "natural cycle") ; that such bubbles have happened before and are an infrequent but apparently hard-to-avoid feature of capitalism. Nonetheless all of them had causes and all could have been either prevented or mitigated by wiser actions beforehand. The credulous greed of the banks, the securities industry and their insurers all fed the illusion that the party could continue. Exactly the same is true of individuals who refinanced their homes to cash in on accumulated equity and bet on continued appreciation of their values; etc. However these were not the only cause.

This is your best paragraph, for it's the only one which actually addresses the question at hand.

Quote:
The credulous greed of the banks, the securities industry and their insurers all fed the illusion that the party could continue.

Yes. And for this their leadership bears responsibility. It doesn't matter what other rules or laws or idiocy happened on anyone else's part. We aren't discussing what should be done to the homeowners or how laws should be changed to prevent this in the future, but instead how we should handle those companies who come crawling to the public for help when they made poor decisions.

Quote:

Public sentiment on this and related issues is rather divided, and, frankly speaking, you don't speak for the public, though it often appears that you entertain the rather curious illusion that you do.

Would you be willing to allow votes on just what to do with "our" tax money to be cast in proportion to the amount of that tax actually paid?

Is it divided? Only because Republicans want Obama to fail.

This is all per Gallup's latest poll on this subject -

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/JohnCampanelli/GallupObamaconfidence.gif

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/JohnCampanelli/rarubasqxuewcaob76hrhg.gif

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/JohnCampanelli/ff0srphnpums706nuceldw.gif

As you can see, majorities of both Dems and Independents support the bailout bill. It is the hard right which does not. As Nimh pointed out above, 36 of your wacko senators voted yesterday to axe all spending in the bill.

Luckily we kicked your asses this last cycle and are no longer beholden to a bunch of dead-enders who don't know **** about financial policy.

Republicans oppose this bill primarily because they know their success hinges on it's failure, and they can't do anything else. It's kind of sickening to watch, and I doubt that anyone outside of your rapidly-shrinking tent thinks that obstructionism and Hooverism is the way to go right now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you earn a billion dollars...Uncle Sam...the American people...get half of it off the top.

I don't earn anywhere remotely close to a billion a year and that's about what they take. By way of contrast in the middle ages, any time any sort of a king or prince or any sort of noble at all for that matter ever tried to raise tax rates over about 15% you had some sort of a peasant rebellion.
Cycloptichorn

@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

This is ******* the government making some rule that will have no impact whatsoever just to placate the masses.

Why do we keep falling for this **** from our government.

The salary cap isn't just for ceos but all employees to the best of my knowledge.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BigTexN

@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Well, to be honest, Tex...you sound a bit high to me also.

Once again...in the midst of disagreement...we find common ground!

I am 'high"
...high on life
...high on possibility
...high on opportunity
...high on Liberty
...high on the freedom to work as hard as I want to earn the income that I desire
...high on the thought of personally directing the fruits of that labor to the charities of my choice

You are sooo right...I am high!

Join me and find true peace and happiness in life!

Throw off your bitter baggage...its weight is crushing your soul.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:53 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
I don't earn anywhere remotely close to a billion a year and that's about what they take. By way of contrast in the middle ages, any time any sort of a king or prince or any sort of noble at all for that matter ever tried to raise tax rates over about 15% you had some sort of a peasant rebellion.

You do not need new laws, Gunga, or a rebellion...you need a better accountant.

Nobody...nobody in this country pays 50%.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 12:55 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

Quote:

How ignorant you are about historical rates of taxation!

Besides, if you're paying 50% tax, you need to get an accountant buddy. Nobody who takes the time to deduct anything pays that much.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies