Impact of Oinkbama salary caps on NY City...

BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 09:51 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Attempting to blame the housing cycle (natural) for the poor investment choices of these CEOs is ridiculous.

georgeob1, Cyclo is right...you can't blame the housing cycle for poor CEO investment choices.

That would be like Washington's failed radio station, Obama 1260, or Air America trying to blame the housing cycle for their poor investment choices.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:07 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:
I bet there's a whole lot of people out there who would just love to make a $0.5million a year salary, and would be just as good at the job as the guys who were making $10million in bonuses.

Janitors and wet-behind-the-ears college grads might agree with you but is that the kind of "experienced" person you want to turn around the largest banks in the U.S.?

For $500k/year you don't really think they're gonna have to choose between Janitors and College Grads do you? Be reasonable. A half mil per year, a corner office, company car, free parking, free country club membership and paid dinners, etc etc etc, are gonna attract some real talented janitors.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:10 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:
Great job Obozo! Your quest to nationalize the banks is working!

I would prefer that banks be private BigTexAss, but that's not where we're at right now. So the question is how to manage them now that the government is a major owner.
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:11 am
@rosborne979,
You are correct rosborne979, it would attract some "real talented janitors"!

And goodness knows, some real talented janitors might be the only ones qualified to to clean up alot of the crap we have in these companies!

I stand corrected!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:14 am
just a side note... you know, when you call Obama 'Oinkbama', it does not make him look stupid or incompetent. You, on the other hand, it does. That's how it comes across, just fyi.
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:15 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
So the question is how to manage them now that the government is a major owner.

The answer is for them to give back the money...kick out the guberment...call Obama's bluff...and let'em file for bankruptcy!

Then we won't have to worry about how much ANYONE at the banks is getting paid.

Liberty or Death!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:16 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:

The answer is for them to give back the money...kick out the guberment...call Obama's bluff...and let'em file for bankruptcy!

Liberty or Death!

Haha, funny how you Righties equate unlimited, exorbitant pay with 'liberty.' Nobody's rights are being trampled here.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:17 am
So, if the CEO get's their pay knocked down to 500k, what about the President of the company (not always the CEO), the CIO, the CFO, the cheif legal counsel, and all the other Senior members of the organization...do they all get knocked down too?

If the CEO gets paid 20 million / year, you can be sure that there are at least 50 people below him making above 500k.

What's to stop the company from installing puppet CEO's and hiring the real talent to the other Senior level positions at 20 million / year?
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:20 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Haha, funny how you Righties equate unlimited, exorbitant pay with 'liberty.' Nobody's rights are being trampled here.

I do equate unlimited pay with liberty...and my free pursuit of happiness.

But you are wrong on one thing...still...the right of every individual to maximize their income is being trampled here.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:26 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:

Liberty or Death!

Who knows. Maybe that would work. But it ain't gonna happen, so no sense planning around it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:28 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
What's to stop the company from installing puppet CEO's and hiring the real talent to the other Senior level positions at 20 million / year?

Nothing. That's probably what will happen. Kinda like the VP of the US pulling the strings of the President Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:53 am
@BigTexN,
Quote:
But you are wrong on one thing...still...the right of every individual to maximize their income is being trampled here.

Why do you still continue to assert that when the notion has been blown out of the water so often????

gungasnake

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:57 am
@dagmaraka,
Dumb question here....

I remember several of my language and history profs in school talking about Czechoslovakia, which is what the place was called then, and they all said the same kinds of things, i.e. that the two groups of people comprising the place were basically incompatible and that the place would ultimately split up (kind of like what they're saying about the U.S. now...) They all said that the Czechs were basically intelligent, enlightened, hard-working, industrious and all that sort of thing, and that the Slovaks were legitimate candidates for sorriest bunch of losers ever assembled under one flag in Christendom, i.e. no redeeming features at all.

And yet from what I read the two languages are very closely related and you wouldn't figure there to be any genetic differences bigger than little.

That's the question. How do you get that much differentiation where there don't seem to be any real differences??

BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 10:59 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Why do you still continue to assert that when the notion has been blown out of the water so often????

I will assert this claim until the likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Alex Rodriguez, Alec Baldwin, Barbara Streisand, etc prove me wrong by not maximizing their income potentials.
dagmaraka

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:12 am
@gungasnake,
gunga, if one third of what you say is true than you had some terrible idiots for teachers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@BigTexN,
Quote:
I will assert this claim until the likes of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Alex Rodriguez, Alec Baldwin, Barbara Streisand, etc prove me wrong by not maximizing their income potentials.

That makes no sense at all, Tex.

The statement that I noted has been blown out of the water is:

Quote:

What those other people do has no effect on the thrust of your statement.

You keep suggesting that "the right of every individual to maximize their income is being trampled here."

It simply is not!
BigTexN

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You keep suggesting that "the right of every individual to maximize their income is being trampled here."

It simply is not!

Government dictated caps on any person's income is trampling on the right of an individual to maximize their income.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:33 am
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:

Quote:

It simply is not!

Government dictated caps on any person's income is trampling on the right of an individual to maximize their income.

No, it is not. For the government is providing the income.

Essentially the Gov't is becoming the bosses of those companies looking for a bailout. They are now determining the salaries. The companies are free to not participate.

I also disagree with your premise that maximum, unlimited income potential = liberty. I do not think this is true whatsoever. Instead, what you describe is Avarice and Greed.

Cycloptichorn
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:33 am
@BigTexN,
Quote:

Hello...Tex...anyone home???

The government has a right...just like anyone else...to place restrictions and conditions on a loan.

No one HAS to take the loan.

Earn all you want...but no loan from us!

What do you not understand about that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2009 11:35 am
By the way...it truly would not bother me if some sort of cap on wages of everyone were imposed...although I think it should be imposed via income tax rates.

If you earn a billion dollars...Uncle Sam...the American people...get half of it off the top.

Wouldn't bother me a bit.