Why the hell do I need a carbon monoxide detector anyway?

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:38 pm
In the building I live in, we all have these annoying carbon monoxide alarms in our apartments. It's a state law. What the hell is that about? When am I ever going to be in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning? I always thought it was only a possible problem if you are using a generator or a propane heater or something like that. Isn't that the case?

And if it is, then why the hell do I need a carbon monoxide detector?

Personally, I think the whole thing is a scam. I think the people who manufacture smoke detectors decided to branch out and they sold the public on this horseshit idea that people are in danger from it because statistics say that 500 people a year die from carbon monoxide poisoning. What they failed to tell us is that probably 90% of those people were people who locked themselves in their garage with the car running and killed themselves, and the other 10% were probably drunken rednecks who passed out in their trailer with their propane heater going.

So there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,266 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:50 pm
@kickycan,
Close. I don't think they sold the public at all. They sold the governments, which mandated what the public should buy.
roger

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:51 pm
@kickycan,
On second, maybe they were worried about you having too many cows in the apartment. How many do you have, by the way?
kickycan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:52 pm
@roger,
Ah, yes. So I guess it's a lot like how we all have to take off our shoes at the airport because that one asshole tried to hide a bomb in his shoe.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:01 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

On second, maybe they were worried about you having too many cows in the apartment. How many do you have, by the way?

Well that just makes udderly no sense at all.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:49 pm
Seriously. Why would I want a device that warned me away from the most seamless, quiet, painless, almost gentle transition into eternity possible?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:51 pm
@kickycan,
Without one, youll just die without any warning. With one , the last thing you hear is that annoying buzz, then you die.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:06 pm
Consumer Product Safety Commission

Quote:
About 200 people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with home fuel-burning heating equipment. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when any fuel is incompletely burned. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to flu-like illnesses and include dizziness, fatigue, headaches, nausea, and irregular breathing. Carbon monoxide can leak from faulty furnaces or fuel-fired heaters or can be trapped inside by a blocked chimney or flue. Burning charcoal inside the house or running an automobile engine in an attached garage also will produce carbon monoxide in the home.

The first line of defense against carbon monoxide is to make sure that all fuel-burning appliances operate properly. Consumers should have their home heating systems (including chimneys and flues) inspected each year for proper operations and leakage. Inspectors should check all heating appliances and their electrical and mechanical components, thermostat controls and automatic safety devices.

http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/faqs.html

Quote:
If I have my fuel-burning appliances checked yearly, do I still need to install a CO detector?
Absolutely, a CO detector will sound if there are any breakdowns in the appliances used in the home. Appliances experience wear and tear and can cause serious health problems including death for some who suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Am I at risk for obtaining carbon monoxide poisoning if I do not use gas appliances in my home?
All appliances that use fossil fuels, Oil, Natural gas, Coal and LPG are equally as dangerous as gas burning appliances.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:15 am
A friend of mine was sleeping one night and he woke up having a heart attack. It turns out the heart attack was caused by the ducts being clogged by some incompetent exterminators who were there the day before thus filling the room with CO2. His son, who had no preexisting heart condition, was sleeping in the next room but was actually unconscious. 20 more minutes and they both would have been goners. They both just barely survived thanks to the EMTs.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:40 am
Quote:
flu-like illnesses and include dizziness, fatigue, headaches, nausea,

Christ, I get this every Sunday morning and people go around saying its because I pissed it up Saturday nite!! Bastids! Now, most importantly, who can I sue for mental pain and anguish??
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:08 am
@kickycan,
As I have two backup power generators I also have co2 detectors.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 07:25 am

i'd rather have one of these

Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective

0 Replies