Dixie/Dixieland

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 09:20 pm
When did "Dixie" fall out of favor to describe the area south of the Mason/Dixon line?

How did New Orleans become famous for "Dixieland Jazz"?

What do you know about "Dixie" that you can teach me?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,745 • Replies: 5
No top replies

mismi

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 09:41 pm
@boomerang,
Is "Dixie" out of favor? I still have Heart of Dixie on my license plate - I think.

http://24.227.170.146/page8.html

to be honest - I don't know that much about it. It just is. I am not offended by it. I don't know anyone down here who is either.
mismi

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2009 09:48 pm
@mismi,
http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.php?viewStory=1507

huh....learn something new everyday.
boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 08:08 am
@mismi,
Very interesting, mismi. Thanks.

I found this map:

Quote:
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/slavery/slave-maps/mason-dixon-map-650.jpg

This is an original and incredible 1861 map showing the Mason Dixon Line. Northern States are shaded dark, and Southern States are light.

So "Dixie" looks like the area east of the Rockies and south of the Mason Dixon line -- that's a big area.

I live in Oregon and sometimes refer to the Pacific northwest but I grew up in Texas and Oklahoma but can't imagine referring to myself as from Dixie.

I guess I don't really mean that Dixie has fallen out of favor so much as that it is just obsolete.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 09:01 am
It ain't all that far south.

Except that it cuts off and head due south at its eastern most point...the Mason Dixon line would have run right through the southern third of New Jersey.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 09:25 am
@boomerang,
Well, I've got about 600 Dixieland jazz cd's ...

According to the most common explanation of the name 'Dixie-(land)', $10 notes issued before 1860 by the Citizens’ Bank of New Orleans and used largely by French-speaking residents were imprinted with dix (French: “ten”) on the reverse side; hence the land of Dixies, or Dixie Land, which applied to Louisiana and eventually the whole South.
(References to the "Mason-Dixon-Line" are another reason, according to some sources.)

Dixieland as a jazz style is often ascribed to the jazz pioneers in/from New Orleans, but also descriptive of styles honed by slightly later Chicago-area musicians.
The term also refers to the traditional jazz that underwent a popular revival during the 1940s and 1950's (especially in the UK, but other European countries as well) and that continued to be played into the 21st century.
The name seems to have appeared for the first as name of a group, in 1916, the "Original Dixieland Jass Band" [with two 's'!].

0 Replies