Show gender or not ?

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:58 pm
What we ought to do is erase all the profiles or not look at them, then write profiles for who we think the person might be. Can't do ones for those we know, though. Brandon, for instance:

Young unmarried male

Loves to ask questions
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:44 pm
I changed my avatar to a cartoon because too many members were outing my gender. (blush)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:56 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
I voted yes, because I would like to know whether I am speaking to a man or a woman, a 10 year old, or a 60 year old without having view the individual's posts for months to figure it out. There might be an optional profile question about birth date to get the 10 years old vs. 60 years old part too.

Well Brandon, I'm a 39 year old female. Your turn ;-)

I guess that you're on the young side and are male. Am I right?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:10 pm
By the way, where is SG? Anyone see him lately?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:21 pm
Montana, Who is SG? Incidentally, your horse has now been named Sugarfoot. Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:29 pm
smokingunne
Where has my horse been named sugarfoot?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:09 pm
Rightcheer, Gezzy, rightcheer.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:22 am
I'm baffled as to why some people wish to hide their gender in here, but cool with it as well - most of us live in a (fairly) free world and should have the choice to disclose our gender or not.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:27 am
You are so right, Miss Grand Duke! :wink:
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:28 am
Walter - perhaps I should become 'Grand Duchess' to confuse people...!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:28 am
I never sweat the little stuff either ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:29 am
GD, are you saying you're a she?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:34 am
To quote the mighty James Brown:

'I'm a man, I'm a man, I'm a lowdown son of a man...'

Part of me likes the idea of messing with people's heads by pretending otherwise, or weaving a tangled web of intrigue, but I'm too lazy (& honest) for that. I have trouble remembering my address sometimes, so I'd never be able to maintain a lie like that!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:38 am
LOL. That's what I thought.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:46 am
Grand Duke wrote:

Part of me likes the idea of messing with people's heads by pretending otherwise, or weaving a tangled web of intrigue, but I'm too lazy (& honest) for that. I have trouble remembering my address sometimes, so I'd never be able to maintain a lie like that!

Same with me ... and don't ask me any of my PINs!

Walterette
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:04 am
Walterette? Very Happy

from Le Letti
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:23 am
Letty wrote:

Le Letti

Better than Lettyman Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
Very Happy Love it, Walter. Gray Davis was on Letterman and let his hair down. UhOh! you don't suppose.................................
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:58 pm
I think most people here discuss their circumstances when they fit into a topic, when they are comfortable with doing so. I never meant the name of an italian veal or lamb dish and a picture of my dog to denote me as masculine or ambivalent, but I am at times discerned to be a male. People eventually figure it out.

I have enjoyed being fooled by some. I was fooled initially by Tartarin (under other name on Abuzz) and by a few other people - forget who right this minute.

I was going to post a comment to smokingunne re his concerns on speaking to ladies, and didn't because I was madly busy for a few weeks and not in the mood to write a long post.

But instead of a long post I'll just say that I draw plans that other people build. There is a natural tension between architects, contractors, and the people who work for the contractors. While politeness, courtesy, are good ways to treat everyone, sometimes addressing women with "good morning, ladies" when they are overseeing a construction project can be a passive aggressive act, a slight effort to diminish, just as "good morning, gentlemen" to the crew could be from them...it is a bit separating. I have the power to - on occasion - get the contractor to rip all of yesterday's work out and re do it my way. In that situation, "ladies" can imply the women in their finery are visiting... While that is true, I don't go on a site in any way but a practical straightforward way to see the work is per plan and to forestall any efforts in the wrong direction.

But maybe you have to be there or be me to get what I mean. A simple "good morning" will do.

A lot of the joy I get from a2k is the sheer brightness of so many people here, and when I do get to understand the breadth of the different lives we all have and the way we can interact I am thrilled. I think an initial part of the free flow comes from just dealing with the words...and then, the people.
0 Replies

Chenrontom

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:53 pm
Hmmmmmmmm.... Maybe you could find an online girlfriend.... maybe. But then again, it would be nice to know who you're talking to and to treat ladies nicer than the guys.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 02:46:07