Show gender or not ?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:31 pm
I don't mind the joking, the flirting with the wrong gender is mildly amusing, but the thought that someone comes to a site in hopes of finding someone to 'play' with, that's the bit I find off-putting.

I have a perhaps surprisingly low tolerance for that.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:32 pm
Wouldn't bother me any, but it's not something that I think about much. You get to know who is what after being around for awhile, so hang in there SG ;-)

Can anyone guess what I am?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:34 pm
A horse lover? Smile

I think people can dust unwanted advances very easily.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:38 pm
Yeah. I tend to agree with ehBeth though about people who come here just for that reason.

That's not the impression I get from smokingunne, but I'll let him explain (or not.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:43 pm
Yeh - what Sozobe said. Thats what I didnt get round to saying when I posted, "I voted against".

<smiles>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:45 pm
Oh my! "That" never occurred to me! Doh.

I don't get that impression from Smokingunne, either.

And, yes - the wimmins here be tough.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:45 pm
It was odd when I was posting under another name at Abuzz for a while. People sent me notes, thinking I was General Lee in disguise. It was interesting to see how difficult it can sometimes be to 'spot' gender by posting style.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:47 pm
errrrr, bunny, you were the one who mentioned flirting to begin with.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:52 pm
I'm not sure of anyone's sex parts.
I flirt with everyone.
No one has complained, yet.
That I know of. Laughing

Smokinggunne--
Are you prowling for nookie? Laughing

He is Irish... :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:55 pm
Not thinking of it as the main reason for being here!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:58 pm
Um - that was a response to beth.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 08:59 pm
Smokinggunne--
Come out and play.
We wimmins just play rough.
No worries.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:45 pm
Your gender is apparant, Sophia. And it didn't take long to pick up on on avatarless ravensrealm.

By the way, the word is sex. In English, only pronouns have gender. People have sex.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:45 pm
Women like being mistaken for a guy cause guys are so much smarter than girls.

< just trying out some cool new lines from "How to Score"by Mike Tyson >
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:55 pm
roger wrote:
Your gender is apparant, Sophia. And it didn't take long to pick up on on avatarless ravensrealm.

On the Realm I thought Lash was a guy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:58 pm
We so do have gender - sex is biological - gender is the "reality" constructed around the biology - with more or less help from nature, depending on your point of view.

Tyson charm school, eh? it shows.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:05 am
The hapless one picked her screen name in about ten seconds several years ago and lives with it, appearing not only as a male with the -o- word ending, and a young veal killer to boot. I cheerfully explain that I am female when it seems to fit in, and besides, you know, I do dither...(heh, heh.)

I kind of like things the way they are. More later, my cousins just arrived...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 12:20 am
Dithering as a secondary sexual characteristic????

\l/
o-< B =
/l\
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:26 am
Interesting -- I used to ICQ and AIM a lot, when they first came out. I used to chat using an androgynous identity, and found that almost everyone would get really upset if I didn't tell them my gender. They'd ask over and over right at the start, unable to function at all until they knew if I was M or F.

It was really amazing(!) and funny how socially crippled they were until they knew how to behave towards me. Are we so completely controlled by sex?!?

I guess people IM chat online mostly to pickup and practice their game. How boring and one-dimensional. Here on A2K, it's more about ideas and discussion threads, so gender is less relevant.

Plus, I appreciate seeing the guy-talk and the girl-talk out in the open anyways, with everyone privy to the blue jokes and clothes shopping, without any hangups about secrecy. It makes A2K more like family.

I would prefer *not* to institutionalize the distinction between men and women by having a specific option for it. Why play those games?
If a sexual identity is really important, a strong defining characteristic of the person, then just choose a name that reflects it.

Should we also have an option to identify race, weight, religion or economic class? Do we want to encourage those perspectives or preoccupations?
0 Replies

CodeBorg2

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:31 am
Yeah. What she said!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 12:56:29