Show gender or not ?

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:26 am
Gender and age information will NEVER be required but MIGHT be optional in future features. I can't find anything wrong with giving people the option to display that information but I'm sure some can.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:31 am
No problem with the OPTION here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:33 am
I am genuinely interested to hear Brandon's reasons, by the way...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:42 am
For me, at least, chronological age is completely irrelevant. I have met 10-year-olds whose breadth of knowledge and skill in conversation are awesome, compared to the doddering blatherings of some 50 and 60 year olds. Some people, myself included, routinely hint at their age group in their personal profiles. Some don't. So be it.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:04 am
age, gender and such are pretty irrelevant to me too, but still I'm among those who're always kind of curious 'bout those things.

dlowan wrote:
No problem with the OPTION here.

I might be wrong and I'm definitely too lazy to read through the thread again but I don't think anyone suggested that it be mandatory. There ain't a single thing shown in your public profile that you're REQUIRED to fill out. Wink
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:09 am
Oh, by the way, I'm also among those who thought you were a dude at first, deb! It was a very short-lived thought though... Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:19 am
LOL! Now why did you think that at first, wee Mongette?

I did not think Craven was gonna make it mandatory.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:00 am
Hmmm, hard to say really. But there ain't a single person whose gender I don't guess at even when what they write, their screen name and their avatar don't give clear hints. Hmmm....maybe it was cuz when I first joined, you and craven were always in a battle of wits (I thought it was hilarious, yet somehow rather dudelike Very Happy).

The thought didn't last long because I think in the first thread of mine you posted in Craven jumped in to warn me that you're a raging feminist..lol Laughing Not that there aren't raging feminist men or anything, but anyway... Quick, someone change the subject! Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:48 am
Look, a bunny!

Code: ,-.
/ `.
,--_. \ \
\ `-_ `. \
^-_ `. `. \
`. `. `. \
`. `. \ \
`. `-___/ |
`. '--.
\ ,--.--.'
\ |* |* |
\ `--' --.
| --'\
| .~---____/
/ `~|_/\_/
,' |
,' .--.|
,' ,- | |
/ ,' | |

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:13 am
dlowan wrote:
Welcome Brandon! You have opened a whole other can of worms.

Why do you want to know our ages?

I don't need to know either age or gender, but aesthetically it would be preferrable. I would not speak to a child in exactly the same way that I would speak to an adult. Just, generally, in a conversation, it seems peculiar to me if I don't know these things. Conversing with someone without knowing gender and at least a very rough idea of age just seems odd. I can't define it any better than that. Like I said, not necessary, but helpful. It seems to me that these might be optional questions.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:36 am
Not to get all mushy and after-school-special-y on y'all, but part of what I really like about these communities are how my expectations of how certain age and gender groups would respond to my words are subverted. I would not speak to a 70-year-old the same way I speak to a 32-year-old (my age), but I have, all unknowing, and have gotten answers I would never expect. And numerous self-erected barriers have come down, and I've learned a lot of cool stuff.

I have figured out along the way a lot of people's ages, but I've had a lot of good "D'oh, ______ is (13/ 19/ 35/ 72) years old?" or "D'oh, ______ is a (man/ woman)?" or for that matter, "D'oh, ______ is (black/ Asian/ Native American/ whatever)?" I think that's all good. Content of their character and all that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:38 am
Yes, you should show really more respect in answering me! Laughing
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:39 am
hehe! nice one walter Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:40 am
Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:43 am
Keep on laughin at me, but I still remember the time, this was in a distant future: some antique music :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:50 am
I am actually a 72 year old schizophrenic nun working in a leper colony these last 25 years...there is no squinney, no cubs, no band, no dj/karaoke business.

I am Sister Sybil Marie, and I wear a rubber and leather habit. Worship and obey!!!!!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
Monger wrote:
Look, a bunny!

LOL!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:41 pm
So - more RESPECT might come out of this?.........Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:45 pm
So, Monger - which was more dude-like - the battle? or the wits?

Shocked Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Kidding!!!! Laughing

Aesthetic reasons - that is a new one!

I am with Soz - I love having all my expectations baffled and coming up with surprises.

It is also fun working it out, when you do not know. It is hilarious when I get it wrong, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 02:47 pm
The rabbit is cute, Monger. Yours?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 12:57:19