Tim Geithner - why did some liberal Senators vote against his confirmation as Treasury Sec?

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:24 pm
This is a bit late, sorry... I thought I'd look up a thread here about Geithner and his confirmation as new Treasury Secretary and post this there as afterthought. But to my surprise, I dont think it was ever talked about! Unless my searching skills failed...

Anyway -- if you are curious about why some Democrats voted against the confirmation of Geithner, there's more info in these two posts on Observationalism:

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,480 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:55 pm
@nimh,
Integrity?

More interesting question is why 10 Republicans voted for confirmation.

I have no idea.
nimh

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Geithner's a very centrist, middle-of-the-road man in his politics - and he's got the aura of experience/expertise due to his previous posts. I suppose that for a centrist Republican, he would be a fair enough fit (or at least not one to actively block) - a better fit than for someone like Bernie Sanders, actually.

That just leaves the tax issue. I think there's obviously a lot of Democrats who would've been indignant about it if it had been about a Republican, but didn't care much now; just like there were a lot of Republicans who would have shrugged it off in a Bush appointee but now were indignant. So that covers most of the Senate. But just like there was a couple of guys on the very left who were as indignant about it in a moderate Democrat as they would have been about a Republican, maybe there was a similar couple of Senators in the political center who recognized that they would have shrugged it off in a Bush appointee and decided to shrug it off for an Obama one too.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 08:49 pm
@nimh,
He's also a blatant tax cheat and liar who has been confirmed as Treasury Secretary.

I don't understand how anyone, in good concious, could have voted to confirm him.

It's outrageous.
roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 01:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah? Well, don't forget, he's a very competent tax cheat and liar.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 05:46 pm
@roger,
Yep. The very epitome of a tchnocrat.
nimh

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The very epitome of a tchnocrat.

Hey, something we can agree on. And yeah, I'd rather have seen someone else too.

(Of course, we won't agree in the least on who that someone else should have been Razz )
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:45 pm
@nimh,
Probably not, but you never know.
0 Replies