Able2troll ?

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:41 pm
Certainly, if one is going to delude oneself, one should think well of oneself in the process.
George

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 02:42 pm
@Setanta,
Be a legend in one's own mind.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 04:22 pm
If I want entertainment, I come here. If I want expert advice, I go to a site that actually has some.
George

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 04:31 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
If I want entertainment, I come here. If I want expert advice, I go to a site that actually has some.

That's good advice.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
@Setanta,
I have delusions of mediocrity. Make of that what you will.
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:05 pm
@patiodog,
The Roman empire lasted for two thousand years, and it was based upon providing effective legal, political and military systems which were within the capabilities of mediocre men.
Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:34 pm
@Setanta,
I don't know how you figure the Roman Empie lasted for two thousand years. Even saying one thousand would be stretching the facts quite a bit. The Roman Republic didn't become an 'empire' until about the time of Gaius Julius Caesar who was assasinated in 44 b.c.e. Prior to that Rome had grown from a city state, governed as a monarchy under the Tarquin kings, to an ever-expanding republic. The exact date of Rome's founding isn't known, but it's somewhere around 500 b.c.e. The Western Empire (which is all we're talking about when we refer to 'Roman Empire') came to an end in 476 c.e. with the sacking of Rome by Odoacer who promptly proclaimed himself King of Italy.

I suppose you could try to make the case that the Eastern Empire survived for about another 1,000 years until the Crusaders helped sap its strength to the point that the Muslims found it easy pickin's. But after the fall of Rome itself, that empire was known as Byzantium, or the Byzantine Empire, not Rome. It was strictly Hellenistic rather than Latinate (is that even a word?) and was hardly ever referred to as New Rome.
Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:41 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I was referring to the notion as it occurred to the Romans themselves. They claim their city was founded in April, 754 BCE. Constantinople only fell to the Osmali Turks in May, 1453 CE. That we call the eastern remnant of the Roman empire the Byzantine empire does not alter the undeniable fact that they called it the Roman empire. Make of that what you will. Do the math yourself, by their account that's 2200 years.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 08:16 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:
I've always been vaguely bothered by that "ask an expert" thing.

Not exactly "bothered" by that description, patiodog.

But I see A2K as more a "join an online community" thing.
0 Replies