What Happened to the "E"?

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 05:55 pm
I was teasing my boss about her keyboard: the letter E was almost gone (stamped letter E worn away) on her keyboard. I wondered why just THAT letter?

Lo and behold, I get home and look at my keyboard, and MY letter E is almost worn down.

Any ideas why?

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:07 pm
@sullyfish6,

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeats meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:08 pm
Most commonly used letter in the English language.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:11 pm
I guess I'm a freak. Its the A on my keyboard.
jespah

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
It also has to do with the word(s) you commonly use for passwords or userids.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
it's the A here also; all others are intact...
Intrepid

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I guess I'm a freak. Its the A on my keyboard.

I hope you are not a freak because of this. A is the most worn letter on my keyboard too. I don't even use the word asshole. Shocked
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:30 pm
@Intrepid,
if you were into computer games, wasd would be completely gone. no trace. and you woudlnt notice, because your left hadn would be on them permanenetly
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:32 pm
@OGIONIK,
i must've worn out the arrow keys when i used to play tetris endlessly...
Intrepid

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:35 pm
@Region Philbis,
My down and right arrow keys are conspicuous by their absence
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:51 pm
@sullyfish6,
It is just painted on. The paint wears away with usage of the keyboard. The letter E is the most used letter of the alphabet so it makes sense that it would be the one showing the most wear.

Before I purchased my current keyboard about six months ago, my old one was so worn that very few of the keys still had their letters painted on them. This current one is six months old and the SERTOM keys are nearly or completely gone. I do a heck of a lot of typing.

This is when learning to touch-type comes in very handy so you aren't handicapped by the blank key pads. Laughing
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:53 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

it's the A here also; all others are intact...

Is that due to the Bahstan accent?
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:02 pm
@Butrflynet,

aye!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 08:45 pm
@Region Philbis,
Un huh. My arrow keys were polished smooth from tetris. Then I upgraded from the Tandy TX. The clock was so fast there was nothing but a blur of falling pieces.
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:03 pm
As people said, 'E' is the most used letter in english language. 'A' is also in the top, which is why that is also a popular one to be worn off.

A mnemonic device to remember the most popular used letters, is to pronounce 'EATON SHIRDLU'. The letters aren't exactly in order of most used, but it's close. The actual order is 'ETAOINSRHLDU'
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:34 pm
For me it is D, E, and S - lots of "S" in German I guess...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:11 pm
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:
What Happened to the "E"?

It's becoming obsolete as the Knights Who Say "Ni" are taking over the world. Note that there is no "e" in "Ni".

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6262/knightniub7.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/knightniub7.jpg/1/w500.png
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:45 am
@Nick Ashley,
"A" is my most worn letter, but I think a lot of that has to do with "a2k" as well as it being the first letter of a number of other sites I work on.

Nick Ashley wrote:
A mnemonic device to remember the most popular used letters, is to pronounce 'EATON SHIRDLU'. The letters aren't exactly in order of most used, but it's close. The actual order is 'ETAOINSRHLDU'

When I was a kid, and interested in cryptology, I learned "ETOA..." now I have to go find out what's right. :-(
Nick Ashley

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I remembered EATON SHIRDLU as the pneumonic, but just googled the actual order, and am not sure of the source. It could very possibly be ETOA.

My most warn keys are: {}()<>?=

Ok, not really - but that would give me good street cred among programmers Wink (these keys are used alot when programming PHP). Actually, looking at my keyboard, I don't see a single key that looks warn. I guess I don't type much.
0 Replies