Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:03 am
I have been using usb keyboards and they don't take long before the keys begin to stick. Also the last three I have had always fail on the first stroke, but never on the second. What do others do to keep the mofos working better than that? (I have not done a thing to this one, other than just use it) We have high humidity most of the time. Might be a factor.

FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:13 am
@edgarblythe,
I went wireless several years ago. No complaints. Battery changes are infrequent, and no missed strokes. But maybe more to your point would be one of those thin, transparent keyboard covers. Pre-formed to fit the one you have. They keep the chip/cookie/etc crumbs and moisture out, in my experience.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:18 am
@FBM,
Yes, maybe that would do it. I will trot down to the computer stuff seller and see what do they got. As for the missed first stroke, it is a annoyance I can live with.
FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:23 am
@edgarblythe,
Something like missed first strokes would drive me up the wall, considering how much work I do on my 'puters. I don't think wireless is necessarily the answer to that, though. Was your keyboard made in China?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:29 am
@FBM,
It was made in China. As I mentioned, this is the third one in a row that does this, so, I assume it is a design flaw.
FBM

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
Maybe try one made in Korea. They generally don't **** around when it comes to computer stuff. Wink
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:40 am
The places I usually shop don't have real variety. But, I think I know a nearby place to get one.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 10:40 am
@edgarblythe,
If you are willing to pay for it, you could get a tactile keyboard (often called a gaming keyboard). These are modeled after the old IBM keyboards with spring action on every key. The good ones have lifetimes measured in decades.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:44 am
@engineer,
I am on a limited budget. But I do intend to try for something better. I type with two fingers, but I manage to type a lot.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:54 am
@edgarblythe,
I've learned my lesson. After buying, and replacing, a bunch of cheapo keyboards, I bought a good wireless keyboard (on sale, of course). It finally gave up the ghost - but it lasted at least 5x as long as any of the cheapos.

We're currently using a cheapo that was still hanging around the house while I watch the flyers for a new wireless keyboard. After very little use, one of the keys (backspace) has already committed suicide.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
I know where to look, next time. It gets aggravating to have to check for missing letters in every word.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 12:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
a few years ago, when the last USB keyboard died, Set had created a group of letter "stickies" so we could cut and paste letters in. That was a pain.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 01:14 pm
I'm tired of so many people selling junk they know isn't going to work well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 01:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I did the same thing with our keyboard. Since then, my wife insisted we get an Apple computer, so we no longer have that problem. I also like the fact that our keyboard is wireless.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2015 03:03 pm
USB is just the interface between the keyboard and computer. It has nothing to do with the quality of the keys or the little switches under them. You can get great USB keyboards and crappy wireless ones. I have been using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard model 4000 for 3 years and it is working just fine. I had a Trust wireless keyboard that developed sticky keys after 6 months. I also have a Kensington PK1100 USB keyboard that has lasted 2 and a half years and is fine. My main rule of thumb is avoid ultra-cheap ones.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 12:40 pm
Cleaning out a catch-all storage cabinet, I came across a keyboard which I had carefully wrapped and saved, no telling how long ago. Connected it up, restarted the PC, and, it so far works great.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jan, 2016 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not too long ago, I was fishing through the pocket of a sports jacket and found $50.
0 Replies