When did you join A2K (or Abuzz)?

Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:48 pm
@msolga,
I think the time sequence went this way: Beehive/Abuzz was the Boston Globe's initial baby..and shortly thereafter (maybe one year or so), NYT bought the Glob. Then within a year or so formed NYTD (Digital) and made Abuzz a portal w/ connections to Wine, Golf...and advice content. etc.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:52 pm
@Ragman,
The Boston Globe is owned by the NY Times Company.
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
RG: Yes..thanks for helping me out. Perhaps I wrote it in an unclear way as iI was unsure of the timing.. The thing I got wrong is the timing of the purchases and when NYTD owned or developed Beehive.

I learned that NY Times Company bought the Boston Globe (Affiliated Publications) in 1993 for $1.1 Billion. Then in 1995 Boston.com went online.

From that point on, when Boston.com developed Beehive and later on, when it became a NYTimes (NYTDigital portal) is a little hazy for me. I'm sure RG,you know that part. It seeemd that Beehive and early Abuzz were a separate entity...but that is where I was off-base, too.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:19 pm
@Ragman,
Yes you did note that. Sorry I missed it.

I didn't pay attention to the details much back then, but I thought that abuzz almost always had both a boston.com version and a nytimes version. I showed up from NYT, but it would occasionally display boston.com branding.
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
yeah, thabnks RG. I recall for awhile when we entered from NY Times online-side, it had a differenty interface than the "look" of when you entered from the Globe side. Eventually, that all merged as a one look interface.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:31 pm
@Ragman,
Ah. Thanks, Ragman.

I remember the well & truly established Boston contingent that came with the NYT/Globe version of Abuzz. Some were not so happy with this development, as I recall ....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:35 pm
Many were not happy - it must have seemed like we were hogging the space. Thing is, it did start here and we were, at one point, the heaviest ysers.

Joined Abuzz in aug-sept, 2000, I think.
msolga

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:39 pm
@littlek,
I knew my last post would draw you here, k!

Once a Boston girl ...... Wink

I saw Abuzz as pretty much the Boston group's site which we were all joining, at first ...
Eorl

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:13 pm
@rosborne979,
Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:58 pm

So, still a n00b obviously...
George

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:27 pm
What year was it that the Boston crowd met at the Union Oyster house?
That was my first face-to-face.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
@msolga,
<grin>

I went to what I think was the first abuzz meet at Flat Top Johnnies (right?) in Kendal Square.
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:17 pm
@littlek,
Went to one Boston gtg..in pub in Financial district......actually met..LittleK and bunch of others...think it was winter 2000 maybe early '01... but I know it was definitely before 9/11/01. Mass Cass wasn't there.
jespah

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 04:58 am
@Ragman,
I was at the Union Oyster House but I recall one earlier, in a bar (of course), can't recall exactly where it was but I think it was near Faneuil Hall (not Kitty O'Shea's, that happened later). Might even have been at 2 before the Union Oyster House; I'm not certain. I recall meeting Siobhan and the Seal Poets.

No, wait, the first one I went to was in I think Worcester, to meet Papabuda who never showed. But MassCass and LittleK did. We had a fabulous time, and MC gave me a troll doll that I still have somewhere.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 06:27 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:58 pm

So, still a n00b obviously...

No, Eorl, you are part of the illustrious Class of 2004. From this thread alone, I made a list of people who joined A2K in 2004:

djjd
Cycloptichorn
Shapeless
Shewolf
Ticomaya
wandeljw
spendius
Foxfyre
CalamityJane
Eorl

We all celebrate our five year anniversary this year.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:22 am
at the end of my life...as I head into the great unknown... I shall say to myslef..."If I had back the time I wasted on Abuzz and A2K I could have a couple more years to live".
Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:25 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Sure -- but in a world without online communies, what would be the point?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Right, like sometimes people who were Abuzzing via the Glob would post urls to other threads that, when clicked on, would show a Boston Globe (or maybe Boston.com) masthead and different colors (lighter , as I remember).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:32 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Right, like sometimes people who were Abuzzing via the Glob would post urls to other threads that, when clicked on, would show a Boston Globe (or maybe Boston.com) masthead and different colors (lighter , as I remember).

The colours were lighter - the pic I've posted on the previous is from boston.com (I think).
sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, I posted before I looked back at last page and thought the same thing. The NYT view was a very dark navy blue.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:14 am
@sozobe,
Ahaha, Sozobe- that reminded me, the other day I saw this and thought of you
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introducing-Feminism-Introducing-Susan-Watkins/dp/184046058X

Cool