When did you join A2K (or Abuzz)?

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:18 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
I hereby present to you the Longevity Award

Damn. Me, all bitter and twisted, and now this!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:40 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Stillwater, did you possibly join as a result of an invitation I may have sent? I have the vague feeling you were on my list, and I've been kicing myself ever since.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 04:58 am
@roger,
Quote:
I've been kicking myself ever since.

For the price of a ticket to Australia I can help you with that. Are you conversant with the word 'Blundstones'??
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
You were one of the first people I spoke with regularly when I was at Abuzz...and I thought (may have been wrong) that you were there before me. I know I was at Abuzz in 2000...because I have Abuzz stuff that I printed out dated late 2000. I am almost positive you were there when I got there.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:50 am
@sozobe,
Good point. Craven may have been there when I joined without the two running into each other. That seems to have been pretty common. For example, I don't think Sozobe and I met until summer 2001.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:56 am
@Thomas,
I use to print stuff out...and I've got it archived around here somewhere. I'll look it up and post some dates and names in the discussions when I find it. I think I know where it is...but it will take a bit of doing to retrieve it.
sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
I just looked through some of my saved threads but none were earlier than 2001.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:44 am
@sozobe,
Here's a new thread I started with the info I was able to find from the few threads I printed out. Lots of old familiar names here.

http://able2know.org/topic/128448-1

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 09:44 am
I thought a new thread would insure that more old timers would get to see the info.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:05 am
I first joined Abuzz in 1949...a lot of people don't remember the prototype steam engine Abuzz...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:10 am
Got my first home PC in the spring of '99, and thought I joined Abuzz shortly thereafter, but it may have been 2000 (I doubt that I beat some of you in there). Came in via NYT, as most of you. Followed the herd over here (not in the first migration,however). There was some other site a small group of us waystayed in-between, which I cannot recall the name of.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:20 am
@PDiddie,
Raven's Realm. I signed up for that but wasn't very involved.
I'll add to my earlier post and say I joined a2k on Oct. 28, 2002, after repeated emails that I might like it by Lightwizard. He was right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:29 am
@PDiddie,
there were/are a number of waystations between abuzz and a2k. some sorta connected to craven, others located/set-up by other former abuzzers. Mags had a couple, c.i. set up at least one yahoo group, there were 2 or 3 yahoo keep-in-touch-post-abuzz groups and at least one yahoo group of abuzzers that ran alongside abuzz and a2k, there was the group husker set up at familysomething.org, then there are the seattlebuzzers (quite a few of them overlap here), mmmm who am I leaving out?
squinney

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:22 pm
When Abuzz was ending I checked and I remember my account being dated as after the election 2000. I distinctly remember having posted about the election, so I couldn't figure out why tht didn't show up.

I just remembered that I posted under Bears account for a while, then I may have posted as squinney before becoming squinneyallhappywithherself.

I kept hearing Bear talk about "so and so on Abuzz said..." for a couple of months before I checked it out. He also kept talking about "On Soprano's Iast night..." I was also resistant to watching Soprano's for a while due to the language and violence.

Boy, have I changed! Smile
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:16 pm
I joined ABUZZ via the Boston Globe. It may have actually been in 1999, I remember some activity about Gore v Bush (Bush 1, Gore 0). I also remember the Great Identity Meltdown of 2001, when DakotaStone's name and reputation were trashed to the nth degree. Unfortunately, the way you could create and change account names left a hole in the forum that you could put a freight-train thru. Amazingly, up to that point - 'account abuse' was rare. Must have attracted just the wrong sort..... like Slappy. He got thrown off ABUZZ more times and he'd just sign up again with the same sort of name.....
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:20 pm
Now, for myself I recall that I was active on what they called 'circles' - or forum topics. I managed to use Gilbert & Sullivan to describe my attributes. Anyone recall that??

Quote:
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse

With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotepotenuse

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral

He is the very model of a modern Major-General

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous

I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies
I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore

And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinapinafore

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin"
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat"

When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy
You'll say a better Major-General had never sat a gee

You'll say a better Major-General had never sat a sat a gee

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral

But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Les Anarchistes Artistes or however that went (I'm not sure about penultimate "e"s or order of the A's -- pretty sure about the LAA acronym though.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:45 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Good point. Craven may have been there when I joined without the two running into each other. That seems to have been pretty common. For example, I don't think Sozobe and I met until summer 2001.

I'm horrible with dates, but tend to remember the details pretty well, and as I recall all of you guys were there before I showed up.
dlowan

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'd been there a couple of months, I think, before you showed up.

I got my first computer between January 2000 and July 4th 2000....and likely early in that time frame...say late January. I found Abuzz a while after that, and began actively posting maybe February/March 2000?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:24 pm
I'm really terrible with dates, but I recall being on Abuzz for quite a time before "the troubles" really set in. For quite a deal of that time I thought everyone else there was super confident, or a genius about what they were talking about, & I posted with quite a bit to trepidation ... certain they'd realize I wasn't! Laughing It took quite a bit of courage to instigate my first real Abuzz thread, Mean & Evil Characters in Fiction.

Then Raven's Realm, for a bit...

Then onto A2K, not that long after it got going ... My recollection is that, at first, everyone was falling over themselves to be polite, courteous & welcoming, following the horrors (& the excruciating agony!) of the death of Abuzz. (Waving fist at the NYTs! Unforgivable! Wink )
Would this brave A2K "experiment" work, I wondered?