Prilosec, OTC and the FDA

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 06:57 am
My mom has taken 20 mg. Prilosec for many years. At one time the price had gone to around $130- for a month's supply.

For those of you who have not been following it, Prilosec was supposed to go off patent some time ago, but the drug companies kept stalling it by filing lawsuits. In the meantime, the drug company came out with Nexium, which is really a super Prilosec, but has the advantage to the company of just beginning its long patent life.

Some time ago, Prilosec DID go off patent, thereby allowing generics. Now, all of a sudden there is a Prilosec that can be bought over the counter for about a dollar a pop.

I had assumed that the Prilosec was a weakened version of the prescription drug. I was shocked to discover that the OTC version was the same 20mg. that my mother had been taking all along.

Now, my question. I understand about the price drop. Now that the drug company has Nexium for its cash cow, they are looking to take in as much as they can from Prilosec. By why is it now over the counter, and not before? Who sets the rules as to what drug must be obtained by prescription, and which can be bought without? I always thought that the FDA made that decision. Is it not coincidence that the drug has become OTC just at the time when it went off patent? Something is rotten somewhere. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,583 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Montana

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:10 am
That does sound pretty fishy Phoenix. I'm curious to see how others respond.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:38 am
Hmm...well, I live in Canada, we don't get Prilosec. I take Prevacid (brand name). It's about $150.00 for a 2 month supply. Here is the technical info: Prilosec is generically omeprazole. Prevacid is Iansoprazole, basically an improved version of omeprazole. Omeprazole can have potentially bad interactions with Valium, Coumadin and Dilantin. Iansoprazole does not have these problems. In Canada, there is currently no generic Prevacid, but the stuff works, and I have had no side effects. There are currently 2 doses, 15 mg., which I use, and 30 mg.

Here are a couple of links, the homepage, and some technical stuff:

http://www.prevacid.com/
http://www.medicinenet.com/lansoprazole/article.htm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:40 am
Where is wenchilina when we need her? She is a pharmachologist.
0 Replies