My fire alarm is peeping sometimes. What does this mean?

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
I am not a tenant. The apartment is mine.

But I will ask about how to put a new battery in.
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:32 pm
@Chumly,
Well, I hope mine is not crap!!!

We know they work, because the fire brigade arrive for burnt dinners, if you are not careful.

They also get inspected yearly, with little smoke devices.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:01 pm
@djjd62,
djjd

Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:04 pm
@dlowan,
What's weird is it only seems to chirp when I move near it.

It has held its tongue when I have been still.

Onje of the advantages of deafness on high registers is the chirping is very faint to me.

For all I know, I shall have a posse of neighbours at the door soon annoyed by the deafening screech!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:06 pm
@ehBeth,
That's what came to my mind as well. Even if it's wired I imagine there might be a backup battery, that might have died.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:10 pm
@dlowan,
Wait til you have the phone drowned out by the refrigerator..
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:12 pm
@dlowan,
Put on Beths Metal Collinder Hat and approach cautiously! If no xrays are found to be frizzling the collinder and the beeping continues..... then make a call for the men in uniforms!

all the alarms I had at the old house were hooked up to the mains and had to have the batteries replaced.... every 2-3 years I believe.... hard to get hold of and a bugger to put in too with 15-18ft celings.

They definitely chirupped as we have lots of power cuts on the moors - I think the emergency batteries for the house alarm, fire/CO and emergency lighting only lasted a maximum of 8 hours without main power.

To be on the safe side I'd call a friend fire chap (know they are pretty bsuy right now) - but just a call to the local station - and one nice chappied may come round and give you advice. All our firefighters have teams who go rounds schools and houses etc to help peole with their alarms willingly - saves them a heap big job if they know they are working... as well as saving the residents and their lives. Would also consider the CO too.

Hope you get it fixed Deb. Not worth it not working right... as well as peeping driving you nuts.
x

ooooooooh.... Mysterman would know....
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah...I am assuming this now....but I will wait to touch the damn thing until I have talked to someone, because I am scared to set it off, as it will cost me a lot of money if I do.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:53 pm
@Izzie,
Oh?

It's been 8 and a half years since I moved in, so I may have done well.

We've had no blackouts for ages.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:07 pm
@dlowan,
The fire department here will sometimes send someone out to check batteries (actually they do a full city drive around once a year where you can call them in specifically to check batteries). The problem is that (here at least) you don't really get an appointment time. They show up when they can.
dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:14 pm
@ehBeth,
yeah...that's so not viable.

I am already having t use up a day's rec leave on trying to get my oven fixed.

I hope to get the details on how to do it without setting the damn thing off.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:14 pm
@dlowan,
Yep.... you must've have one of the Energiser Bunny Batteries that last a lifetime...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/jaychrhea/EnergizerBunny.jpg

Razz

Give em a call in the morning and see if they can have someone pop round - if you register a call then and it does go off, you should be covered. GOOD LUCK Deb..... (hope a nice chappie/chappette comes over to sort it out) x
dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 06:54 pm
@Izzie,
feh.

much disagreementage over my peeping

waiting call back
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:46 pm
peep back maybe you can set up a dialog,

one rabbit apeeping
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:57 pm
@Sglass,
I ain't got the energy to peep today.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:26 pm
@dlowan,
Oh for Pete's sake!!!

It wasn't my fire alarm....it was the goddam burglar alarm I don't use!!!

Goddam deafness...I cannot properly locate very high pitched noises.

So..the damn alarm has a problem.

The developers installed the cheapest control unit...so it can't tell me what the problem IS. I have managed to shut it up by looking at the manual and pressing the appropriate button...but I'd have to pay for someone to come out to diagnose the problem, for an alarm I don't want, didn't ask for and have never used.

I just hope it isn't the sort of problem that makes a lot of noise or results in damage.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

0 Replies