Can you teach old cats new tricks? Advice needed.

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:13 pm
@roger,
Ah, but if you shake their container of food, they come running Smile
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:33 pm
@Mame,
Great idea, Mame.

Nice to see that you can meet them half way in their old age.

Be careful...when you finally shed this mortal coil, you may come back as a cat.

Magnet on our refrigerator: Cat talking to Dog, "In a former life I was a dog, but I came back as a God!"
roger

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:41 pm
@Mame,
You are about to discover they are very fast learners - but only when it's to their own advantage.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, if I come back as a cat, I want to be a Regal one - Siamese or something disdainful Smile These cats aren't bad... they just have bad habits.

Next question, Frank (and other cat people) - why do they vomit so much? They don't get too much food - twice a day, and maybe 1/4 c each time of dry food, and sometimes they will share tins of cat fish stuff and this is not hairball vomit. They probably do this 4 times a week each. Do they need to go to a vet? Or is it age-related? Or hard cat food?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:44 pm
@Mame,
Cats are gonna spit up like fish are gonna swim. Goes with the territory.

As they get older, their stomachs do get a bit delicate...and they tend to throw up food as opposed to fur ball generated stuff.

Our Sparky is 17...and we get a load two or three times a week.

But I love her...and she loves me (or at least the heat my body generates in winter!)
Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
@Mame,
Are you feeding a good quality food?

I give stinky a hairball formula cuz of his long hair, and it cuts down the morning surprises, but doesn't cure them. (they also gets wet food)

At your cats age, food could make a substantial difference in digestion...

(Patio dawg can tell you something better, I am sure)

*yes it can stain wood, it has cat digestive juice in it...

(this is kinda backward and weird)

Mame, look up again... Rolling Eyes
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

But I love her...and she loves me (or at least the heat my body generates in winter!)

Niiiiice, Frank Smile

Okay, so this is to be expected, the vomit. Will it stain carpets and hardwood if left unpickedup for hours on end?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:50 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm sorry, Rocky, I don't know anything about cats and the quality of their catfood. I'm sure there must be varying degrees of quality, though, as there is in everything. What do you recommend?
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:51 pm
@roger,
Can you catnip the scratching posts and there is a bitter spray for dawgs... to spray on furniture, maybe there is one for kitties.

We have just tied feathers and a christmas tree toy and bits to thenew additions scartching post - so far it's all they are scratching on.

Hope you resolve soon girl. Hey to A. x
Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:52 pm
@Izzie,
Thanks - will consider all advice Smile

We're now thinking Sept to come to England on account of our renos will take so long and then we're both off working in camps. Is that a good time for you, hon?
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:53 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Or hard cat food?

Maybe chomping too quickly.... smaller more reg meals????
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:54 pm
@Mame,
Anytime will be good time for you and Alex to visit. ANYTIME. hugs x
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:55 pm
@Mame,
I recommend talking to a pro.

I have less budget than most, although me kats eat better'n me most times.

I use Iams, but am certain that without budget constraints that there is better available.

(not really an expert on cats, more of a whisperer fan kinda guy...)
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@Rockhead,
James Well Beloved... if you can get it there. Lotsa oils and nutirition... tho a little pricey <ack>
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:57 pm
@Izzie,
Iz: Good point - I'll take it up with TPTB. Will keep you posted on the visit Smile I'm so looking forward to this!

Thanks, Rocky, will investigate that.

0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:39 pm
Double stick tape.
Seriously, put it where they scratch, they won't like it.
Usually won't hurt most fabrics. After a while, you can take it off.
They still need to be given something they will and can scratch though. Think of something similar to the couches they now destroy.

I got an OLD cat. I don't plan on buying a new rug for anywhere in my house til she dies. That's just the way of it after a certain age.

Vomit, Oh yeah, she gots it. I think it's an age thing.

Buying good food is good for the cat and good for you cause it fills them up and they don't beg for more. (Okay, that was the theory but now my cat can't even remember that she just ate...)
http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/0/079105206631B.jpg
This is what I feed mine.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:23 am
I can seriously appreciate that you don't want the cats shredding the good furniture or carpet and yes, it is difficult to untrain an old cat that has been used to having his/her way for a long time. We had some luck with cat repellant when our old tomcat developed some new bad habits some years ago. These usually contain citronella or some such substance that is odorless or a pleasant scent to humans but is repulsive to a cat though it will not harm them.

Here's one I ran across. There are lots and lots more. You might ask your local pet store or vet what product they would recommend and see if it works before you replace the old furniture.

Boundary Cat Repellent

Boundary is an indoor/outdoor repellent for dogs and cats. It uses an odor that is normal to humans, but very offensive to your pets. Once you have applied boundary your pets will avoid the item you have sprayed. Boundary comes in an easy to use spray can and is effective immediately.
Boundary is an excellent tool for keeping pets off furniture, carpet, trees, shrubs, and other forbidden areas. Boundary is also very effective at keeping stray cats from spraying in your garage or carport.
http://www.odordestroyer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/bdry_cat_lg.jpg

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:01 am
Caribou - thanks for the advice about the food. Will look into that. I think the roommate is buying cheap stuff, so I'll talk to him about it.

Foxfyre - thank you! I will look for that and try it out before we get the new furniture.

Thanks everybody, actually.

Last question - will the vomit stain the hardwood flooring if it sits too long (when we're at work)? I'm not worried about the carpet because it has a stain resistant guarantee for 20 yrs.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:35 am
I would think it depends on the finish of your floors. I have old pine floors with very little finish left. Where the cat likes to puke, there is a bit of a mark, but wiping the floor up (after days ande we are talking bile like puke here -she usually eats the food puke.), I don't believe most people would notice it.
Not like it turns black like the spawn of satan has puked there or anything.

I need coffee.
Mame

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 08:34 pm
So... here's an update on the vomit.

After I posted, I bought some quality dried food for ageing cats and started making cat food (liver, fish, beef, pork). Based on all the internet research I did, I decided to feed them three or four small (between 1/8 and 1/4 cup each) meals per day. Four meals if 1/8 cup, three if 1/4 cup.

Since then - no vomit! They get a wet, a dry, and then a wet. No adverse side effects, either (diarrhea). So, research actually works.

Now to work on the scratching the furniture bit.
0 Replies