The press does it again

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
In 2005, the left and the press raised hell, and rightfully so, about the cost of the Bush inauguration.

Now, with Obama spending at least the same amount that Bush and the repubs spent, why isnt the press complaining?

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/rich-noyes/2009/01/14/ap-slammed-bush-s-extravagant-inaugural-05-now-it-s-spend-baby-spend

Quote:
Four years ago, the Associated Press and others in the press suggested it was in poor taste for Republicans to spend $40 million on President Bush’s inauguration. AP writer Will Lester calculated the impact that kind of money would have on armoring Humvees in Iraq, helping victims of the tsunami, or paying down the deficit. Lester thought the party should be cancelled: “The questions have come from Bush supporters and opponents: Do we need to spend this money on what seems so extravagant?”

Fast forward to 2009. The nation is still at war (two wars, in fact), and now also faces the prospect of a severe recession and federal budget deficits topping $1 trillion as far as the eye can see. With Barack Obama’s inauguration estimated to cost $45 million (not counting the millions more that government will have to pay for security), is the Associated Press once again tsk-tsking the high dollar cost?

Nope. “For inaugural balls, go for glitz, forget economy,” a Tuesday AP headline advised

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h8JT5CRwO_Nrc9YbwEaF5Yy5bVMwD95MC3300

So why isnt the press or the left raising hell about the cost of the Obama inauguration?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 4,333 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 07:22 pm
Yeah...and why didn't the press say anything when Bill Clinton lied about having his dick sucked...or when Teddy Kennedy drove off that bridge and the girl was drowned...why didn't the press cover that.

Goddam press!
mysteryman

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 07:51 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Can you show even one report where the press complain about how much the Obama camp or the dems are spending on this inauguration.
I havent seen any, yet there were hundreds of reports about how much Bush and the repubs spent on his in 2005.

And before you ask, here are a few from 2005

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6822858/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6717767/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4187023.stm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050113.winaugcosts0113/BNStory/International/

Now, can you show me even one comparable story about the cost of the Obama inauguration?

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:08 pm
@mysteryman,
That's odd, Foxyre managed to reference several news sources as writing critical pieces about the inaguration expenditures for the thread she started a couple days ago about the same subject.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:08 am
Didn´t President-elect Obama promise to change America? With the financial problems everybody is facing a change in spending money to celebrate oneself would have been a good thing to do.
And then again in four years - if reelected?
To be a bit humble has not hurt anybody.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:32 am

Shame on BH Obama!

So many good things could be done with the money that PEBO is wasting on this party.
O boy and every single American that voted for him should hang their heads in shame.

Shame on Liberals!

Democrat = Do as I say, not as I do.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Yeah...and why didn't the press say anything when Bill Clinton lied about having his dick sucked...

Or when he sold hydrogen bomb secrets to the chicoms and then had Jamie Gorilla set up the gorilla wall to prevent the FBI from doing anything about it and the gorilla wall allowed 9/11 to happen?

I mean, that really was some trivial **** those evil pubbies went after old SlicKKK for, wasn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:51 am
This thread was started 49 hours before your thread was started. Apparently, the press was not entirely mute--either that, or you are inferentially accusing Fox of making **** up. If she wasn't making it up, then there had to have been a press source for her story at the least more than two days before you stared this thread.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 06:55 am

Is this how O boy is going to treat the American population for the next four years?
O boy and his Obamabots are going to make working Americans suffer while they party.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:05 am
I feel your pain, children. And I am enjoying it to the max.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:06 am
Hehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehe . . .

You're a bad man, Frank . . .

That cracked me up . . .
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Set, glad you appreciated the sentiment.

I loathed Richard Nixon, Set…but there was a point in proceedings where I realized that the liberals of the 1970’s were in a feeding frenzy…and that ideology had become more of a driving force in what was happening than principle.

During the impeachment of Bill Clinton…I think most intelligent people realized that ideology had become more of a driving force among Republicans than principle.

Nixon, whether I agreed with his focus or not, was leading the country; Clinton was leading the country. Sure ideology was in play…I wouldn’t have it any other way. But the ideology at least seemed focused on competence"on leadership…with ideology being a secondary consideration.

But with George Bush and Darth Cheney…with the incompetence of this administration…the ideology became primary…and became putrid"and filthy sore oozing pus onto our nation.

Any of these people still backing these miscreants…have allowed ideology to usurp not only love of country…but also love of humanity in general.

I have no respect for them at all…and I’m glad to see that you don’t have much either.

Much as I have hated this in other people at other times and under other circumstances…much as I considered those people petty…I am reveling in extreme conservative America’s pain right now. I hope it saturates their lives for a very, very long time.

There are lots of people I love who are conservatives…but if they are of the ilk posting here…I hope they suffer the agonies of the damned.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:15 am
@Frank Apisa,

You liberal loons are the children and the pain you will feel is real.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:34 am
@H2O MAN,
Thank you, H2Oman...please keep posting. I'm loving you for it.
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:40 am
@Frank Apisa,

I feel your love and it disgusts me. Please keep it to yourself.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:43 am
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
I feel your love and it disgusts me. Please keep it to yourself.

I love you even more for that one, H2O.

Keep 'em coming.

What a great day this is!
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:55 am
@Frank Apisa,

Your tainted love does not interest me in the least.

It's always a great day when liberal loons try and sound superior.
You are both entertaining and very sad - good for you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:34 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O wrote:
Quote:

Your tainted love does not interest me in the least.

It's always a great day when liberal loons try and sound superior.
You are both entertaining and very sad - good for you.

One, I am not a liberal…and never have been one. If you have a problem with liberals…talk to someone else about it.

Two…your sentence “It's always a great day when liberal loons try and sound superior” is a hoot. The word “and” shows that you are (to put it in its most charitable form) not especially intelligent"which probably accounts for the fact that you are a conservative…and that you think George Bush was intelligent and competent.

Love ya, Buddy!

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:00 am
@Frank Apisa,

Frank shits where he eats and calls it home improvement.

You are a loon with liberal leanings and an ignorant one at that.
rabel22

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:52 am
@H2O MAN,
Sorry Frank but waterman has out intelliganced you. His vocabulary shows he must be smarter than you.
0 Replies