New Eye Test to Check Workers for Drink and Drugs in UK.

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:08 am
Smile EYE SCANNER INTRODUCED TO TEST FOR DRUGS IN THE WORKPLACE
An eye scanner designed to discover if employees have taken drugs or drunk heavily has been launched in Britain amid growing concerns over testing in the workplace.

The test, which measures the reaction speed of the pupils, can even gauge if staff are affected by tiredness, the makers said. Only 4 per cent of companies in Britain test for drugs but a Mori survey earlier this year found that another 10 per cent expected to introduce checks within 12 months.

But workplace testing has increased concerns over the rights of workers, who could be sacked for what they do in their leisure hours.

The human rights group Liberty said drug screening for jobs requiring top performance such as airline pilots was acceptable but not where the safety factor was lower. Mark Littlewood, campaigns director for Liberty, said: "This is a short and sharp test. No doubt you could certainly do more testing with this equipment. If your performance is being impaired by snorting cocaine or drinking too much you could be subject to disciplinary procedures anyway."

The makers of the latest device claim it is the first to measure "impairment" rather than analyse urine or swabs for drugs that can remain in the system for days afterwards. As many as 2 million people are estimated to take ecstasy each weekend.

The Eye Check Pupilometer, costing pounds 10,000, is held to the eye and scans using green light flashing at the pupils. It gives an instant reading of the pupil's reaction speed. Those who display slow reaction times in the four-minute test could then face further checks to confirm the presence of drink or drugs.

Yolande Burgin, the director of an independent inquiry into drug testing at work, said none of the devices was completely effective. "It's something that employers need to be very clear about before they do it," she said. "They are not particularly cost-effective."

London Underground has a strict drug policy, which includes testing and a ban on staff going into pubs or off-licences wearing their uniforms. Rail companies tests drivers randomly and other firms do tests after accidents or before a new worker joins.

Hampton Knight, the British company distributing the US-built device, said that a large company with drivers among its employees had bought it and two police forces were testing it. It was "between 98 and 99 per cent effective". (Copyright © 2003 Independent Newspapers (UK) Limited Source: Financial Times Information Limited - Europe Intelligence Wire.)

Right or Wrong ???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 975 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:33 pm
Isn't it possible that some people naturally have slower reaction time, e. g. they have other things on their mind, or are tired because of a new baby at home or are working a second job? This would, I believe, automatically make their performance suspect - here, an employer would be crucified for this kind of guilty until proven innocent nonsense.

And what of people who drink over the weekends? Hangovers are impairing, yes, and I'm not advocating the lifestyle, but if the alcohol is gone from the body and all of the intoxication was off-site and not during working hours (and the drinker was of legal drinking age), well, shouldn't the person be able to drink on his own time? God help us when employers start trying to prevent us all from doing foolish things.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:45 pm
It is acceptable only if management (including CEO's, CFO's, Presidents, the Board of Directors, Executive Personnel, etc.) take the same test at the same time as their employees and the results made PUBLIC to employees immediately - with no time to doctor any results. (If the employee is being tested then someone from management - selected by said employee - should get tested at the same time and swap results so they can compare each others).

Don't tell me that the management of any company will do that! I think if that were the case, this little idea would be knocked on the head fairly quickly!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:47 pm
And there is reason to be suspicious of management these days - with Enron, Worldcom, etc., the result of shoddy management. Methinks it's them we need to keep an eye on!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:57 pm
Oh and what about ER doctors? Isn't that a "top performance" job? 9 times out of 10 they will test tired since they work such crazy hours!!!!

Hmmm, not sure this has been thought through. If something like this was ever introduced I am pretty sure that much of the workforce would be unemployable, so what will employers do then? I see many empty factories, garages, pubs, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, offices ....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 03:10 pm
I also always love the idea of strict testing for jobs that truly don't need it. I recall applying for a database job and being told I'd get a drug test (you know, the little cup and everything). Huh? Hey, I can apply for about 1,000 similar jobs and never have to take a drug test, so see ya'.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 04:37 pm
Very Happy If this becomes widespread Mondays will never be the same again.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 07:32 am
Yeah if they tested me today my ass would be out the door! Ouch! That hurt ... I lifted my head up off the desk.
0 Replies