Anyone remember Sydney J Harris?

littlek

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 10:13 am
I was looking up quotes on the true nature of patriotism (which, it seems, doesn't have one true definition) when I stumbled upon this man. I followed through to a site devoted to his writings. Very interesting reading so far.

SJH

Here's on article of his:

Quote:
Opposing Principles Help Balance Society

I DEVOUTLY WISH we could get rid of two words in the popular lexicon: liberal and conservative. Both are beautiful and useful words in their origins, but now each is used (and misused) as an epithet by its political enemies.

Liberal means liberating - it implies more freedom, more openness, more flexibility, more humaneness, more willingness to change when change is called for.

Conservative means conserving - it implies preserving what is best and most valuable from the past, a decent respect for tradition, a reluctance to change merely for its own sake.

Both attributes, in a fruitful tension, are necessary for the welfare of any social order. Liberalism alone can degenerate into mere permissiveness and anarchy. Conservatism alone is prone to harden into reaction and repression. As Lord Acton brilliantly put it: "Every institution tends to fail by an excess of its own basic principle."

Yet, in the rhetoric of their opponents, both liberal and conservative have turned into dirty words. Liberals become "bleeding hearts"; conservatives want "to turn the clock back." But sometimes hearts should bleed; sometimes it would profit us to run the clock back if it is spinning too fast.

Radical, of course, has become the dirtiest of words, flung around carelessly and sometimes maliciously. Today it is usually applied to the left by the right - but the right is often as "radical" in its own way.

The word originally meant "going to the roots" and was a metaphor drawn from the radish, which grows underground. We stiff speak of "radical surgery," which is undertaken when lesser measures seem futile. The American Revolution, indeed, was a radical step taken to ensure a conservative government, when every other effort had failed.

Dorothy Thompson was right on target when she remarked that her ideal was to be "a radical as a thinker, a conservative as to program, and a liberal as to temper." In this way she hoped to combine the best and most productive in each attitude, while avoiding the pitfalls of each.

Society is like a pot of soup: It needs different, and contrasting, ingredients to give it body and flavor and lasting nourishment. It is compound, not simple; not like wine that drugs us, or caffeine that agitates us, but a blend to satisfy the most divergent palates.

Of course, this is an ideal, an impossible vision never to be fully realized in any given society. But it is what we should aim at, rather than promoting some brew that is to one taste alone. It may take another thousand years to get the recipe just right. The question is: Do we have the time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,162 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 10:57 am
I do remember Harris, littlek. He was a syndicated columnist who appeared in the paper we got at home when I was in high school. He wrote about politics and also his pet peeves on how people misuse language.

What he says here makes sense, but he was writing during a much more reasonable period than we live in today. Funny to say this, since the Vietnam War was going on, and the cities had riots, but there it is...
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 02:17 pm
I remember reading his columns and was impressed with his intellegence and values.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 03:59 pm
So, he lived from something like 1917-1984. And he wrote for 30-40 years (my memory's shot). What years did he write during? The later ones?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
The period I remember him from would've been the'60s. He still wrote, I'm sure, but I'd moved on and lost track of him...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:01 pm
I have believed all of my life that liberal/conservative, in placid times, are complimentary to one another; a yin/yang dynamic. But, in these rancorous days, it is necessary to wear labels until we get back some equilibrium. If you don't label yourself, someone else will do it for you.
0 Replies

pieman

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:08 pm
hi. Littlet. If my memory serves me right I was reading him in 1980.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:12 pm
Thanks everyone. It's hard to believe that I could have missed this guy. I guess I was just a little too young.
0 Replies