Can you look at this map and say Israel does not systemically appropriate land?

Walter Hinteler

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 02:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I just looked up the curriculum for studying "Jewish Social Work" at a German university of applied sciences: fluent German and working knowledge of Hebrew (students have to take 'Jewish Studies' in the 4th and 5th semester) is required, but they have mandatory classes in English and Russian in the 5th and 6th semester as well.

At the University of Jewish Studies, Hebrew is taught at ... the Hebrew department. At other facuties, it isn't really necessary .... but still better to have some Hebrew knowledge.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 02:03 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
For eventual Aliyah (immigrating to Israel)?
I don't know - at least that's not the official reason.
According to the Zentralrat der Juden (Central Council of Jews in Germany), the Jewish educational system in Germany is so varied as never before in history.
0 Replies

McTag

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 02:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Modern Hebrew is different from classical Hebrew, is it not?
Walter Hinteler

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 02:26 pm
@McTag,
Though both looks similar foreign to me - I think, it is.

Jewish magazines/periodicals in Jiddish (Yiddish) use (better: used) a kind of adjusted Hebrew alphabet.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 9 Oct, 2013 03:34 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Makes sense to me. So the Spanish can have Gibraltar, the natives can go back to Diego Garcia and the Sioux nation can have Dakota.

I doubt that these claims are based on religious mythology and the attendant convoluted ideas of ethnicity and nationalism like those that are the basis of the Zionists' claim to the West Bank and Gaza, though.
oralloy

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:31 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
I doubt that these claims are based on religious mythology and the attendant convoluted ideas of ethnicity and nationalism like those that are the basis of the Zionists' claim to the West Bank and Gaza, though.

The only religious mythology here comes from your anti-Semitic denials of science and history.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:51 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The only religious mythology here comes from your anti-Semitic denials of science and history.

Please provide some examples of your claim, "comes from your anti-Semitic denials of science and history?"
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:55 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I've been told that many new words had to be "invented" for modern Hebrew, since classical Hebrew did not have words for many modern things. Also, modern Hebrews (aka, Jews) are different than classical Hebrews. I don't think classical Hebrews were baseball fans?
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 12:00 pm
@Foofie,
Somewhat analogous to the Japanese written language that had to be extended with two alphabets for Chinese calligraphy to be translation into Japanese - I think.

Here's some trevia: I was able to obtain our family history from Japan, but it was written in Chinese calligraphy, and not many Japanese have the capacity to read and understand it. My brother had a friend from Japan, a professor, who translated over 90% into English for us.
Foofie

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Somewhat analogous to the Japanese written language that had to be extended with two alphabets for Chinese calligraphy to be translation into Japanese - I think.

Here's some trevia: I was able to obtain our family history from Japan, but it was written in Chinese calligraphy, and not many Japanese have the capacity to read and understand it. My brother had a friend from Japan, a professor, who translated over 90% into English for us.

So, what did that possibly mean? Your family was originally from China? Or, Chinese scribes wrote down the family history, not Japanese scribes?

Is there one part of a cemetery that maintains one's entire family in Asian towns? Meaning that a family can easily see their family going back centuries, just from the cemetery burial plots.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:43 pm
@Foofie,
That's quite an imaginary transformation. You don't lack imagination, but your observations lacks common sense.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:45 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

So, what did that possibly mean?

It means you're as ignorant about Asia as you are about Europe. The Japanese language uses more than one script, hiragana, katakana and kanji as well as latin.
cicerone imposter

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Some even speak "bloken Engrish."
JTT

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 07:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The Japanese language uses more than one script, hiragana, katakana and kanji as well as latin.

The Japanese language uses "latin" in a limited sense. Of the foreign "alphabets" it most commonly uses Romaji, which is the English alphabet. There are a few different forms used - that means that words can be spelled with slight differences depending upon the form of Romaji used.

It also has hiragana, [Japanese syllabary for Japanese words] katakana, [Japanese syllabary for foreign loan words] and Kanji [Chinese Hanzi].

Most Japanese only know about 2000 + Kanji to write, but can read a larger number depending upon education.

The reason that CI's family history would have been difficult to decipher was likely due to older forms of Chinese Hanzi being used, ones that Japanese today wouldn't be familiar with.
InfraBlue

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 10:57 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

Pointing out that your ideas of ethnicity and nationalism based on religious mythology are convoluted is hardly anti-Semitic.
InfraBlue

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:36 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

McTag wrote:

I've been told that many new words had to be "invented" for modern Hebrew, since classical Hebrew did not have words for many modern things. Also, modern Hebrews (aka, Jews) are different than classical Hebrews. I don't think classical Hebrews were baseball fans?

Oral would have us think that modern, baseball loving Hebrews herd goats. I can only imagine the logistics through the streets of Manhattan.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 11 Oct, 2013 07:37 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
oralloy wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

Pointing out that your ideas of ethnicity and nationalism based on religious mythology are convoluted is hardly anti-Semitic.

Falsely claiming that history and science is "based on mythology" counts as anti-Semitism when the intent is to try to delegitimize the Jewish presence in their own homeland.
JTT

Fri 11 Oct, 2013 08:54 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
I've been told that many new words had to be "invented" for modern Hebrew, since classical Hebrew did not have words for many modern things.

And that to you was a revelation, Foof? How could any language have a ready made vocabulary to describe things not yet invented?
Miller

Fri 11 Oct, 2013 10:18 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

How could any language have a ready made vocabulary to describe things not yet invented?

JTTfromCanada: you're getting dimmer by the minute!
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 11 Oct, 2013 10:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I just looked up the curriculum for studying "Jewish Social Work" at a German university of applied sciences: fluent German and working knowledge of Hebrew (students have to take 'Jewish Studies' in the 4th and 5th semester) is required, but they have mandatory classes in English and Russian in the 5th and 6th semester as well.

At the University of Jewish Studies, Hebrew is taught at ... the Hebrew department. At other facuties, it isn't really necessary .... but still better to have some Hebrew knowledge.

To major in Jewish Social Work, you have to be able to speak Hebrew? Why Hebrew? Why not English? Don't most of the Jewish students speak fluent German?
0 Replies