Adventures in Wally World

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:01 am
ok, dig this....

I talked to the doctor maybe an hour ago.

After his surgery, they had put him on the coumiden to break up the blood clot in his arm.

They told him to avoid eating foods with Vitamin K...green leafy veggies, cranberry products for example.

When they started the blood transfusions, they immediately stopped the coumiden, and gave him shots of Vitamin K, as well as B12.

The doc said his blood was 7 times as thin as it should have been. Before his surgery his blood was borderline low, and now this.

Apparantly the drug took too much K out of his system.

Anyway, we talked. She said she had been planning on discharging him today, but in light of our conversation, she was going to have him go down to physical therapy for evaluation, and see from there.

I said that was great, and that I hoped they decided he needed PT. That way, they will definately see what I'm talking about.

Maybe I should go over and conk him on the head, so they'll have to keep him a couple more days.
sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@chai2,
Looks like it was a good thing you talked to the doc.

Hope PT a) happens and b) helps.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:06 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Maybe I should go over and conk him on the head, so they'll have to keep him a couple more days.

ha... maybe a little rash... but I get ya meaning.

Tell 'em that you are not able to take him home right now - and that he needs to be cared for in the hospital. As his spouse/carer/come whatever... can you just tell them that he needs to be well enough before he comes home, and certainly, with the blood results they have been getting, that you don't think that it's a good idea.... plus..... you won't be there as you are going over to SheW's!!!!!!

Worth a shot a?
chai2

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:17 am
@Izzie,
conking him on the head would be more fun.
Izzie

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:21 am
@chai2,
Mr. Green
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:41 am
Chai, is he one of those that doesn't look after himself and dismisses all indications of trouble (physically)?

I believe in natural consequences and it looks like he's getting his now. You can't babysit someone who doesn't acknowledge reality. And I don't believe in babysitting adults, anyway.

Sorry that you're affected by this, but it sounds like you're in a good place, mentally, right now. Good on ya.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:34 pm
Wally came home today, after 3 units of blood, some plasma, and orders for physical therapy.

Also, before all this began, he finally decided to start therapy for depression.

I know what depression looks like in another person, but it's hard to understand the reasoning sometime. Years ago his PCP (the one I don't like) perscribed Welbutrin for him

I have never seen where it was doing him any good, but Wally was like "this is what he prescribed"

I guess I said something a month ago that gave him cause for thought. I said something like you don't go to your cardiologist for something wrong with your kidneys. Why do you think a general practioner, who treats a little of everything and makes referrals for specialties, knows the best anti-depressant to put you on? Maybe this has never been the best one, but there's been no follow up. Seeing a therapist for a while, who can refer you to a pychiatrist makes more sense, because.....guess what? That's what they do.

Anyway, his first appt. with the therapist happened while he was in the hospital, so he'll have to reschedule.

Wally's had bouts of depression evidently all his life, and with cardiac patients their body chemistry changes that makes them prone to be depressed.

I've been too close to the situation, but I feel I've had a chance to step back and look at it objectively.

I realize I'd gotten in the rut, along with him, acting like he's really old, and this is just part for the course.

He's only 61. That's not really old. Not in todays world and with the health care we have available today. Granted, he's getting older, but so are we all. If he can get over the hump with this depression, get on the right meds, etc. he'd have so much going for him.

When we went to Niagara Falls back in Sept, I got to see my real Wally for awhile, the change, the total vacation experience was medicine for him. That's the Wally I know is in there, and I want him back.
Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:55 pm
((((((((((Chai))))))))))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:31 pm
@chai2,
That's the Wally I know is in there, and I want him back.

So understand.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:52 am
I left you a phone message the other day with my number.

Call me when things have calmed down a bit for you..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 08:54 am
I'm glad he's taking things seriously. That's the first step to feeling better.

And when he feels better, you'll feel better.

The shittiest thing about depression is what it does to the people around you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 09:18 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
He's only 61. That's not really old. Not in todays world and with the health care we have available today. Granted, he's getting older, but so are we all. If he can get over the hump with this depression, get on the right meds, etc. he'd have so much going for him.

When we went to Niagara Falls back in Sept, I got to see my real Wally for awhile, the change, the total vacation experience was medicine for him. That's the Wally I know is in there, and I want him back.

Right On!

Make the next appt for him if you have to. Drive him there if you have to. Let him know that where he is emotionally does not need to be where he stays.

Living with the chronically depressed effects everyone in the household and the relationship, which is a separate thing altogether from the effect on the individuals.

I'm glad he's willing to make a change in his therapy both in terms of his therapist and his interventions. And you are in no way crossing boundaries by pushing him to make these changes.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:06 am
@chai2,
Hey Chai - I just saw this - I hope Wally gets better soon and that he learns his lesson - so glad you are being honest with him and letting him know how it affects you. He needs to know that. Thoughts are with you both.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:07 am
Here is a good one..

Tell Wally to cut his ****, or that cars gonna be mine Smile
chai2

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:31 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Here is a good one..

Tell Wally to cut his ****, or that cars gonna be mine Smile

HAH!!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 10:39 am
Thanks JPB (and everyone) for your comment about that I'm not stepping over the line.

Sometimes it's hard to know when one is doing that.

You know, we all like to believe that individuals are capable of determining their own course of action, and make their own decisions, but that's not always the case.

When someone is so far down they don't even know what normal is, they can't be trusted to make the right decisions for themselves. They can't make decisions at all.

He's sleeping right now like I've only seen him sleep on rare occassions.....deep and silent. His cell phone rang a couple of minutes ago and I turned it off, and took the land line off the receiver. Then I wrote a big note saying "DO NOT KNOCK. DO NOT DISTURB!!!' and taped it to the front door.
jespah

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:21 am
@chai2,
Here, I'll type quietly.

Good news re good sleep -- it helps SO much. And even better news re he's taking things more seriously.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 03:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
You know, we all like to believe that individuals are capable of determining their own course of action, and make their own decisions, but that's not always the case.

When someone is so far down they don't even know what normal is, they can't be trusted to make the right decisions for themselves. They can't make decisions at all.

bing bing
ding ding
yes!!!
sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@ehBeth,
(nodding)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:23 pm
@sozobe,
(coughing, in agreement)
0 Replies