Pesticides in Coca Cola and Fanta lemonades. Up to 300-times the allowed value for drinking water to

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 04:34 pm
Pesticides in Coca Cola and Fanta lemonades. Up to 300-times the allowed value for drinking water to pesticides, the researchers found

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.20min.ch%2Fnews%2Fkreuz_und_quer%2Fstory%2FPestizide-in-Orangenlimonaden-14025755&sl=de&tl=en
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,483 • Replies: 9
No top replies

mismi

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:11 pm
@Solve et Coagula,
well - I quit drinking soda January 1st. I just can't imagine they are that good for me - aside from the pesticides (ew)...I don't miss them so much yet....there are times I want a good carbonated burn - but maybe that will pass.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:12 pm
@Solve et Coagula,
Quote:
Konsumentenschützerin Simonetta Sommaruga, however, is about the outcome of the study shocked: "You do not expect at all that pesticides in soft drinks are." Fanta as showers were just very popular among children and often responded sensitive to pesticides than adults. Ob Coca-Cola nun seine Produktionsmethoden anpasst oder gar auf Bioorangen umstellt, ist nicht bekannt. Whether Coca-Cola now adjust its production methods, or even switching on Bioorangen is not known

Engrish at i's best!
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:30 pm
thats why people should not drink sodas. Unfortunately people are addicted to them, but dont think twice about it.

But it is like people who say McDonalds' isnt bad............you know its bad.. dont get pissed when you find out HOW bad.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
Actually, it isn't the soda, its the fruit that is the problem:

Quote:
The experts said the levels found were low under the maximum residue levels allowed for fruit, but they were 'very high' and 'up to 300 times' the figure permitted for bottled or tap water.

The chemicals detected included carbendazim, thiabendazole, imazalil, prochloraz, malathion and iprodione. They are mainly applied to fruit after harvest to stop it developing fungal infections and rotting.

Two similar products contained 98 times the legal drinking water limit for thiabendazole.

The average level of the total pesticide contamination of the British drinks was 17.4 parts per billion - 34.6 times the EU maximum residue level for water.

Coca-Cola GB insisted the products are safe. A spokesman said: 'All of the drinks tested meet the safety regulations relating to food products made from agricultural ingredients, which include drinks with fruit juice as an ingredient.

'The generally miniscule levels that were detected were well within the acceptable daily intake levels and these findings should reassure consumers there is no safety issue here.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1105179/Orange-drinks-300-times-pesticide-tap-water.html

So I guess the message here is don't eat fruit.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Bioorangen

Boomerang, Is this your German cousin?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 05:54 pm
I would like to clarify one thing: This has been a problem in India, not everywhere. The real problem is drinking water in India is loaded with chemicals, including pesticides. American companies are responsible for much of this pollution and American soda companies just ignore it. They keep shipping their syrups to India and the local bottlers keep adding the local dirty water. This has been going on for years and I would not call it new news. I am also am not advocating anyone drink soda, even without the pesticides, it's still junk.

A little PS: When this story first came out, some Indian farmers started to spray their crops with the soda because it was cheaper than pesticides. However, it was not very effective and in some cases the soda damaged leaves and plants. There was also a rumor that soda could used as a spermicide. Women started squirting it into their vagina's before and after sex. Judging from the population of Indian, I don't think that worked either.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:04 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
Deborah Anderson of Boston University Medical Center and colleagues were awarded the chemistry prize for a 1985 study published in the New England Journal of Medicine that found Coca-Cola kills sperm.

She said she was serious in testing the soft drink because women were using it in a douche as a contraceptive and, later, to try to protect themselves from the AIDS virus.

"It definitely wouldn't work as a contraceptive because sperm swims so fast," Anderson said. But Coke made with sugar quickly kills sperm, she said, probably because sperm soak it up. "The sperm just kind of explode," she said in a telephone interview.

It kills the AIDS virus too, she said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE49200220081003
Green Witch

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 06:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's interesting, Hawkeye. I didn't know anyone had actually bothered to test the idea in a lab. It's probably cheaper than most contraceptives and in some conservative countries more readily available.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2009 07:03 pm
@hawkeye10,

Quote:
"The sperm just kind of explode," she said in a telephone interview.

Ooooooohhhhh the images..

Laughing
0 Replies