European Jew refuges

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:24 pm
I understand that during the Third Reich, the European jews were sent to many different obscure locations throughout the whole world. Can anyone give me insight into some of these locations and perhaps the conditions or any books about these situations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,616 • Replies: 16
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:44 pm
Umm...my guess would be mainly Poland, where most of the concentration camps were located....why do you need to know? This info is pretty much common knowledge now, and easily found on the net. Perhaps making your question a bit more speciific would help people answer it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 09:50 pm
After the collapse of the Third Reich is when the dispersal really kicked in. I suppose returning to homes that were no longer yours, without family members who were no longer alive, to live in neighbourhood of people who did not protect you wasn't too appealing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:17 am
Re: European Jew refuges
LordEdge wrote:
I understand that during the Third Reich, the European jews were sent to many different obscure locations throughout the whole world.

Taking this statement literally, you are wrong.
Euroepans Jews weren't sent to obscure places throughout the whole world, but to so-called consentration camps, where some millions were killed. These camps were mainly in Poland, Germany, Austria, France and other by the Germans (later) occupied countries.

As said above, this is to be found online.

For KZ-camps, you may have a look here Maps of KZ Camps

I admit, I have a somewhat peculiar-funny feeling re your question.
Perhaps you try to explain more specific, what you really want to know? (KZ's are only one part of the holocaust.)
0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:25 pm
right. I wouldn't consider concentration camps refuges though. Perhaps that's because I've always lived in Eastern Pennsylvania.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:27 pm
Well, then, what do you mean by
Quote:
the European jews were sent to many different obscure locations throughout the whole world
)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:28 pm
Well, then, LordEdge, what do you mean? And who were the kind souls sending European Jews to safe refuges?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:40 pm
Perhaps you're looking for programs such as the "kindertransport" which were designed by outsiders to get children out of Germany. The "kindertransport" itself sent the children to U.K., but others I believe resulted in children ending up in Canada, France, and other nations.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:44 pm
Although not clearly stated, I think I know what LordEdge might be getting at. Here are a couple of links you might find helpful/interesting:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rescuers/book/synopses.html#tstrobos
http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/vpoy/english/Special_Interests/speeches/jews_in_china_021002.htm
http://www.gluckman.com/ShangJew99.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:45 pm
About 10,00 Jewish children were send to the UK, 20 to 25% of that number are belived to have arrived in USA.
0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:57 pm
That's more for what I'm looking for. I was also told that there were some remote locations in Alaska as well that seemed more like refuge camps. Thank you!
0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 12:59 pm
The Shanghai article, though brief, is interesting. I also think of failed ventures to Cuba.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 01:28 pm
re Alaska, from Jewish Alaskan Beginnings:
Quote:
Before 1940, Alaska had barely more than 100 Jews. Jewish military chaplains arrived in 1941 and were the first rabbis to officiate in Alaska. The permanent civilian Jewish community grew out of the Fairbanks and Anchorage Armed Services Committee when discharged servicemen, as well as homesteaders and government personnel, began coming in substantial numbers. The first mayor of Anchorage was David Leopold, who was followed in that capacity some years later by another Jew, Zachary Loussac. Former territorial governor Ernest Gruening was elected one of Alaska's two senators when Alaska became a state in 1959. In 1964, Jay A. Rabinowitz was named to the Alaska Supreme Court. Even some Alaskan mountains (Ripinski, Neuberger, and Applebaum) are named after Jewish pioneers.

Cuba looks better, but non of these Jews "was sent":
Quote:
At the beginning of World War II, Ashkenazi Jews from Poland arrived in Santiago fleeing Nazi persecution.

0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 03:06 pm
Santiago, Chile? I guess I'll read. Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:52 pm
Here is an okay article I found on Alaskan refuges:
http://www.adn.com/adn/sanctuary/stories/T99051857.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:30 pm
So, am I correct that you are looking for places, German/European immigrated to?
(Again, your in your initial question you said that they where "sent to".)
0 Replies

LordEdge

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 06:07 am
Somewhat, but I wouldn't say that European Jews initiated a migration to remote lands in Alaska and it was organized by outside allies. At least that's the impression I receive.
0 Replies